Bills trade WR Stefon Diggs (plus 2024 6th & 2025 5th) to Texans for 2025 2nd

The Gnat

It's funny to me so many people think Diggs is washed. I mean there is no doubt he's a diva and when he's not motivated, he doesn't play to his ability so I understand from that vantage point if that's what you think you're getting.

I think  huge reason you saw his play fall off last year (especially at end of season) is the continued issues with Buffalo staff/FO for a while now. I mean even his down season was 1,200 plus yards and 8 TDS. 

A change of scenery with an up and coming team loaded with talent, I could see him re-emerging in a big way. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Getting a top 64 pick in any draft for a 30+ year old WR who declined as the season wore on isn't my idea of fleecing anyone.

I meant Bills, sorry, but based on what I've read from Bills fans, its because Joe Brady didn't utilize him towards the end.  Time to tell if it's in fact the case.  

13 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

What’s the Texans cap situation going to be?

He 19 million this year with 33 additional years left on his deal. Money is a non factor for the Texans with this contract. They can just restructure most of the base to signing bonus if they want and he's less than a 6 million dollar hit if they need to. 

*Edit* 

Additional 3 years, not 33. That would be a long contract 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I meant Bills, sorry, but based on what I've read from Bills fans, its because Joe Brady didn't utilize him towards the end.  Time to tell if it's in fact the case.  

I don’t know what Bills fans are saying that but they’re wrong lol.

Diggs was still involved and saw his targets but he didn’t finish them. The GDT threads are filled with us complaining about his drops in timely situations. The playoff game against KC was the worst.

Shakir saw less targets and did more. The emergence of a run game and Kincaid maybe made the illusion that Diggs wasn’t involved but there’s nothing to back that up IMO

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Getting a top 64 pick in any draft for a 30+ year old WR who declined as the season wore on isn't my idea of fleecing anyone.

To be fair, it's a top 64 pick over 365 days away. You guys get a 19M one year rental of a motivated Stefon Diggs and a 2024 6th and 2025 5th. 

I would call this a fleecing by Houston of Buffalo, IMO. 

+1 to the doubt on Diggs being a washed WR. There’s been pretty consistent rumblings that he’s wanted out of Buffalo, and given his attitude + phasing out in the Brady offense, doesn’t really surprise me his stats were down last year. And even then, that’s a 100-1200-8 guy. “Washed” is way too strong a word. 

That said, I kinda dislike this trade for both teams. For the Texans, while they’re obviously adding a talented receiver, they’re adding him when he’ll be turning 31 this year, and they’re doing so right after a year of being malcontent. Houston seemed to have great locker room chemistry, and both Dell and Nico come off as unselfish players. Does adding in a guy that’s going to be a distraction if he doesn’t get 120 targets help them? He’s good, so obviously he’ll help, it just seems like a move that is going to have diminishing returns very quickly. 

For the Bills, they don’t even create cap room or get a pick in this year’s draft (they actually lose one) for their best WR. There’s been an exodus of veterans out of Buffalo, so naturally there’s going to be some developmental bumps along the way, but the replenishment of that roster talent isn’t even coming in 2024 (at least not the additional replenishment). Yeah, they’ll probably draft someone, but the current Bills WR room looks pretty bad. 

I see why both teams did it, and I don’t hate it for either of them, I just don’t love it.

2 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I don’t know what Bills fans are saying that but they’re wrong lol.

Diggs was still involved and saw his targets but he didn’t finish them. The GDT threads are filled with us complaining about his drops in timely situations. The playoff game against KC was the worst.

Shakir saw less targets and did more. The emergence of a run game and Kincaid maybe made the illusion that Diggs wasn’t involved but there’s nothing to back that up IMO

Thanks for clarifying.  

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

The amount of salty Bills fans is surprising to me. 

There is no way to look at this trade and think the Bills won anything. They get a 2025 2nd from Minnesota through Houston. The also get to keep the majority of his salary on their books. They lose their #1 receiver, a 2024 6th and 2025 5th. 

I get the talk about him losing a step or whatever. I get that he is a diva, but the dude is still a very good receiver. Acting as if this is a net-gain in any way for Buffalo is crazy IMO. 

Addition by subtraction, I get it. Still a big loss.

I honestly think it's a lose/lose. Unless the Texans get a younger and less discontent Diggs, this could cause a rift in a fragile and young organization.

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

To be fair, it's a top 64 pick over 365 days away. You guys get a 19M one year rental of a motivated Stefon Diggs and a 2024 6th and 2025 5th. 

I would call this a fleecing by Houston of Buffalo, IMO. 

This is assuming he's motivated. Stefon Diggs and discontent seem to go hand in hand, even after getting paid.

• Like 1

I know it looks like the Bills got bamboozled, but I like the direction both teams are gunning for regardless of the compensation involved. I'm guessing there was something more to Diggs, and his status with the Bills for them to ship him off with his fat salary still on the books. Don't think it was just due to him looking washed the second half of the season.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe