Draft Prospect T’Vondre Sweat Arrested

goldfishwars

On 4/7/2024 at 5:06 PM, Duluther said:

I'm going to make this post all about me, so tl;dr is Sweat is stupid.

My grandfather has been stopped for drunk driving ~a dozen times. He's killed another person on the road. Since then he was put at death's door by getting blasted by an oncoming semi (ironically, my grandfather wasn't drunk).

My aunt killed a passenger while driving drunk. 

A different aunt's long-time boyfriend killed a pedestrian drunk driving.

My dad has three DUI's in the past 20 years, and so I've been terrified he'll get another and be locked away (not without cause) for a long part of my life. Even still, he threw me under the bus as the driver at the scene of his latest DUI & crash (I was not at the scene, but he told to come quickly). I have never gotten over this incident psychologically, and has ruined my sense of self-worth and sense of familial support. 

As a teacher of many students, this is a typical background. American society (NFL players being microcosmic and not an outlier) has driving as a staple, but also has staples of unhealthy obsessions with alcohol abuse and not being told what to do (because of freedom). 

Weirdly enough, plenty of individuals look to organizations such as the NFL (both the organization and their players) to be their role models. I wish the NFL had the cajones to be a leader against driving under any influence (and also reckless driving, such as Henry Ruggs and Rashee Rice). Ban such players. 

This whole thing is prescient, in that there are so many factors going into this.  It's just absolutely pathetic that it's still the norm and nobody even seems to care...but this is the culture that is reinforced by refusing to do anything about it.

A lot of these kids grow up poor in smaller towns in the middle of nowhere where drunk driving is still somehow more the norm, than the exception.

In a lot of parts of North America, one of the most ironic tragedies is that of all possible use types for a building, Bars and Restaurants with alcohol service carry some of the highest "parking minimums" of anything.  What better way to discourage drunk driving, than by mandating that those bars have "plenty of parking spots".  For your vehicle.  Which will then surely not be driven home.  Austin specifically, doesn't fall into this per se...as they recently changed this.  But most of the existing developments suffer from this bizarre encouragement to drive your car on down the bar/club/cocktail lounge/etc!  Lots of parking available!   It's just an insane reflection of North America's ultra conflicted relationship between the Automobile and Alcohol.

I'd put a "maximum parking" on Bars tbh.  Enough spaces for the expected peak staff and that's it.  Probably less even.  But North America is largely allergic to public transit and Building More Trains.  But desperately needs to normalize the European sort of model of getting hammered and either walking home, or taking public transit.

I'm pro alcohol.  It'd be sweet to make it normal to just have a drink or two at lunch.  If the most dangerous thing you're going to be operating is a spreadsheet or cash register or whatever.  Not a motor vehicle.

But i'm anti car.  Because they're dumb an inefficient and the worst possible commuter option possible.  Cars are really cool and fun for other reasons...but driving home from the bar is not on the list.  Nor driving home from work.  Or driving to lunch.  Or just any sort of commuting-related use case.

It's just such an insane love affair with the car.  Which is simply not compatible with vehicles.  Especially as they get exponentially bigger and heavier and more deadly and destructive.

But also still...what an idiot.  lmao.  Just from a practical standpoint...If i were an agent for a player like this, presumably getting that sweet "advance" on their expected salary...i'd put my foot down and make it a firm condition that they will not drive.  At all.  Between now and the draft, you will have a car service and basically a pager that calls them to you at the push of a button.  Period.  Hiring a personal driver for a few months is going to work out a lot cheaper than this escapade.  For the player and the agent alike.

Which...the NFLPA used to already even have a form of this.  There was an entire *** "Car Service" program provided.  But they scrapped it at some point, presumably because none of these idiots was even using it.

Just so dumb all around.

17 hours ago, TedLavie said:

From a pure football standpoint I think it hurts his stock a bit.

One of the main concerns about Sweat is can he take stuff seriously enough to manage his weight. And 3 weeks before the draft he does that, after not measuring at the Senior Bowl? 

Don't think I would trust him of I were a GM

Yeah.  I think this is also a huge compounding issue case with Sweat.  He was already on the hook for questions about personal discipline and professionalism as an athlete.  Refusing to weigh in...then spending a bunch of time barely getting his weight down to a number that was already concerningly high.  Then he takes the first bit of money and freedom and decides to use it to go get himself a DWI?

It's where...i'm not sure many teams had huge concerns about him playing effectively at that college weight.  But the issue is about "personal responsibility" where he could've probably been better with more commitment to "staying in shape".  That was the question about him as a Pro.  What'll he do when he doesn't have a Draft Combine looming to try to get somewhat back down to shape for?  And well...now the answer is..."get drunk and drive and endanger everyone's lives and create a PR mess".  So i think for a lot of teams, that's going to answer their question on that.

Unfortunately, because we are fans of a scumbag league that really does not give a single solitary hoot about social responsibility or anything of the sort...some team with no scruples is going to draft him on Day3 now, and probably get a bunch of great play out of him.  The broadcast will ask, "how did this guy fall all the way to them in the 5th round???" as though it's an actual question.  And the next in a long line of pre-draft idiots will get himself a 2027 DWI while heading toward the draft.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

This whole thing is prescient, in that there are so many factors going into this.  It's just absolutely pathetic that it's still the norm and nobody even seems to care...but this is the culture that is reinforced by refusing to do anything about it.

This. 

Every year. Every single year.

Then the excuses about how they're "just kids", always model citizens except this one time, etc. come along. Nothing gets done. Rinse, wash, repeat feigning shock. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Forge said:

This is the primary reason I think it could bump his stock down. I honestly don't think it does much damage, otherwise. He's not the first prospect to have some issues (including DUI) before the draft. Dak got hit with one. Alec Ogletree. PJ Williams, I think. 

He is already in a low value position for an NFL team.  His ability was never questioned, just his motor.  IMHO, teams do not spend day 1 & 2 picks on 2 down players.  I think he is solidly in the day 3 picks now.

edit: Teams should not spend day 1 or 2 picks on 2 down players.

Edited by jebrick

To me, it doesn't change a whole lot. If you were comfortable with his probable laziness before, one DWI, with no injuries or property damage reported, doesn't change his use on the football field.  

From personal experience, I am distrustful of college town police looking for DUIs.  But all examples are just anecdotal.  If this isn't a pattern of behavior for Sweat, I am not concerned.

• Like 2

Sweat was driving an SUV which collided with a sedan. The driver of the sedan ran from the scene. That sort of suggests they were racing (unless the sedan was stolen). 

I could still easily see the Bengals picking him in round 3. Paul Brown once draft a prison inmate because his projected release date was before the opening of training camp. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Sweat was driving an SUV which collided with a sedan. The driver of the sedan ran from the scene. That sort of suggests they were racing (unless the sedan was stolen). 

I could still easily see the Bengals picking him in round 3. Paul Brown once draft a prison inmate because his projected release date was before the opening of training camp. 

I did not know that.  I am now less sympathetic.  

On 4/9/2024 at 2:11 AM, Tugboat said:

A lot of these kids grow up poor in smaller towns in the middle of nowhere where drunk driving is still somehow more the norm, than the exception.

In a lot of parts of North America, one of the most ironic tragedies is that of all possible use types for a building, Bars and Restaurants with alcohol service carry some of the highest "parking minimums" of anything.  What better way to discourage drunk driving, than by mandating that those bars have "plenty of parking spots".  For your vehicle.  Which will then surely not be driven home.  Austin specifically, doesn't fall into this per se...as they recently changed this.  But most of the existing developments suffer from this bizarre encouragement to drive your car on down the bar/club/cocktail lounge/etc!  Lots of parking available!   It's just an insane reflection of North America's ultra conflicted relationship between the Automobile and Alcohol.

I'd put a "maximum parking" on Bars tbh.  Enough spaces for the expected peak staff and that's it.  Probably less even.  But North America is largely allergic to public transit and Building More Trains.  But desperately needs to normalize the European sort of model of getting hammered and either walking home, or taking public transit.

I'm pro alcohol.  It'd be sweet to make it normal to just have a drink or two at lunch.  If the most dangerous thing you're going to be operating is a spreadsheet or cash register or whatever.  Not a motor vehicle.

But i'm anti car.  Because they're dumb an inefficient and the worst possible commuter option possible.  Cars are really cool and fun for other reasons...but driving home from the bar is not on the list.  Nor driving home from work.  Or driving to lunch.  Or just any sort of commuting-related use case.

It's just such an insane love affair with the car.  Which is simply not compatible with vehicles.  Especially as they get exponentially bigger and heavier and more deadly and destructive.

But also still...what an idiot.  lmao.  Just from a practical standpoint...If i were an agent for a player like this, presumably getting that sweet "advance" on their expected salary...i'd put my foot down and make it a firm condition that they will not drive.  At all.  Between now and the draft, you will have a car service and basically a pager that calls them to you at the push of a button.  Period.  Hiring a personal driver for a few months is going to work out a lot cheaper than this escapade.  For the player and the agent alike.

Which...the NFLPA used to already even have a form of this.  There was an entire *** "Car Service" program provided.  But they scrapped it at some point, presumably because none of these idiots was even using it.

Just so dumb all around.

Yeah.  I think this is also a huge compounding issue case with Sweat.  He was already on the hook for questions about personal discipline and professionalism as an athlete.  Refusing to weigh in...then spending a bunch of time barely getting his weight down to a number that was already concerningly high.  Then he takes the first bit of money and freedom and decides to use it to go get himself a DWI?

It's where...i'm not sure many teams had huge concerns about him playing effectively at that college weight.  But the issue is about "personal responsibility" where he could've probably been better with more commitment to "staying in shape".  That was the question about him as a Pro.  What'll he do when he doesn't have a Draft Combine looming to try to get somewhat back down to shape for?  And well...now the answer is..."get drunk and drive and endanger everyone's lives and create a PR mess".  So i think for a lot of teams, that's going to answer their question on that.

Unfortunately, because we are fans of a scumbag league that really does not give a single solitary hoot about social responsibility or anything of the sort...some team with no scruples is going to draft him on Day3 now, and probably get a bunch of great play out of him.  The broadcast will ask, "how did this guy fall all the way to them in the 5th round???" as though it's an actual question.  And the next in a long line of pre-draft idiots will get himself a 2027 DWI while heading toward the draft.

Completely agree with your points about the car in US and the differences in Europe. Having lived in both, drink driving is far more enticing in USA.

In Europe, as you said, it’s the norm to drink and get the train home or walk. Things just seem so much more spread out in the States, and you do need a car to get anywhere. 

It also seems the punishment for drink driving is more severe in Europe? Like, it’s simply not an option if you want to continue to drive legally. People are generally very good at not drink driving. 

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 6:19 AM, tyler735 said:

I'll never understand how some prospects can't stay out of their own way for a few weeks during one of the biggest months (if not biggest months) of many of their professional careers.

Generally speaking, and this is as indicative of everyday people as it is up-and-coming professional athletes, ego can be a real sonnovayouknowwhat.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 6:11 PM, Tugboat said:

But North America is largely allergic to public transit and Building More Trains.

That allergy, as is very clearly documented in history (so people can feel free to come at me if it ruffles their feathers for some reason), was very much funded by the auto industry and the oil lobby.

I understand that certain levels of public transportation aren't feasible in smaller towns - but before anyone tries to take this vein of argument, 90+% of colleges with football programs aren't situated in "small towns."  And small towns aren't without rideshare drivers - something I've proven while under the influence in a northern California town that legitimately had only one functioning taxi in its entirety.

I'll stop there for fear of this turning too political, but I think what we've established here and elsewhere in this thread is that there are clear available solutions, people just have to be willing to implement them, to utilize them, and to give a damn about people other than themselves enough (if at absolute minimum) to do so.

• Like 3

Trains aren’t great, but they can also alleviate traffic. A very common complaint I heard in my time in America. Seems to make everyone’s top 3 things they don’t like about their city. 

not that NFL players or soon-to-be NFL players would be getting on a train 😄