#PaperGate - Have you ever seen something so weird in the NFL?

RaidersAreOne

This was BY FAR the weirdest thing I have ever seen happen in an NFL game! Using a folded piece of paper to slip in between the ball and yard sticks to determine if it they got it on 4th down. It was THAT close.

• Do you think it was the right thing to do?
  • Do you think it was the right call?
  • Should the paper have been folded?

The bottom was open so obviously it was going to be more wide than if it was a single piece. 

It was probably the right call. I think the ball only has to clear the chain (so where the chain is attached to the marker is technically a first down; it's a few inches long). I'm pretty sure he was putting the paper there to see where the nose of the ball was in relation to the chain.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It was probably the right call. I think the ball only has to clear the chain (so where the chain is attached to the marker is technically a first down; it's a few inches long). I'm pretty sure he was putting the paper there to see where the nose of the ball was in relation to the chain.

This is correct. He used it to compare where the nose of the ball was and where the last chain link was, as the nose of the ball being off the ground can make eyeballing it imprecise, especially since they can't put the chain directly under the ball. It really wasn't questionable, honestly, regardless of people freaking out about the paper being folded. It was clearly to the last chain link.

Archived