Do the Bengals regret not drafting Sewell over Chase?

RaidersAreOne

Do the Bengals regret not drafting Sewell over Chase?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Bengals regret not drafting Sewell over Chase?

• Yes
    • No

g24y73ztvnq61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

I'm of the opinion an elite T >>> elite WR. For as good as Chase may be, Sewell is widely regarded to as the best RT in football. Given the fact Burrow has missed time due to injuries throughout his young career and the Bengals have always had other good WRs in Higgins/Boyd prior to this year (I know Higgins is tagged and Boyd is a FA atm), would it have made more sense to get the elite T over the high-end WR?

Edited by RaidersAreOne

They probably should.  Both players have been great, but the lack of an OT has resulted in Burrow being sacked an insane number of times.  Even the year they went to the Super Bowl, that was coming off of an AFCCG where he was sacked 9 times.

Maybe they wouldn't have made it that far without Chase, but maybe they still would have.  And they definitely would have a healthier face of the franchise if they had Sewell there.

In a word, NO freaking way.  Not only was JaMarr elite, he already had a strong connection with Joe.  Mayvbe you should ponder if the Bengals regret taking Jackson Carman over, say Creed Humphrey in the next round.  

• Like 1

Left tackle might be the most overrated position in all of sports. It’s important to be competent but you really don’t need a star. And you need to be competent at RT as well. Except when you don’t and you’re bad all the way across the line and go to the Super Bowl with JaMarr Chase.

• Like 4

Does Sewell fix the problem of Jonah Williams (who sucked at the time), Quinton Spain, Trey Hopkins, and Hakeem Adenije? Joe got rocked in the early years because the line was terrible from 1-5. I don’t think being awful “only” 2-5 + losing a top 3-5 receiver in the league would be a positive swing.

• Like 4

I ain't trying to say the Bengals made a mistake bc Chase is a great player, but I can tell you that Sewell was the best pick the Lions could have possibly made.

Whatever he does between the whistles, and that's a lot, he matches in leadership and team identity. Barring major injury, he will play for the Lions for another 10-12 years and be a dead-lock hall of famer and ring of honor member.