Atlanta/PHI tampering resolution coming?

vike daddy

Nick Olson@NickOlsonNFL

Adam Schefter reporting this morning that the NFL's investigation into the Falcons' alleged tampering with Kirk Cousins and Eagles with Saquon could be resolved this week, with the discipline likely to involve draft picks and be more severe for the Falcons.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

• vike daddy changed the title to Atlanta/PHI tampering resolution coming?

It seems unlikely that the league will hand out a punishment for this year’s draft unless they’re taking the unusual measure of enforcing a pick swap with the Minnesota Vikings, the team ostensibly wronged by Atlanta’s early contact. A flip from No. 8 to No. 11 would give Minnesota a better chance of getting their quarterback of the future without causing grievous harm to Atlanta’s draft plans, but it seems doubtful the NFL would blow up this year’s draft planning for one or more franchises with less than a week to go until the draft actually starts. More than likely, Atlanta will lose a selection or two in the 2025 NFL Draft.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2024/4/22/24137041/falcons-expected-to-see-significant-penalty-for-kirk-cousins-tampering-per-adam-schefter

The cardinals tampered with our defensive coordinator while he was still going to be coaching for us in the coming days in the Super Bowl. Way more relevant than talking to a RB (presumably his agent according to him), who's team never even made him an offer period after the season concluded. And the Cardinals settled for a 3rd round pick swap.

If  this is anything more than a 4th round pick then it's a joke.

39 minutes ago, Danger said:

The cardinals tampered with our defensive coordinator while he was still going to be coaching for us in the coming days in the Super Bowl. Way more relevant than talking to a RB (presumably his agent according to him), who's team never even made him an offer period after the season concluded. And the Cardinals settled for a 3rd round pick swap.

If  this is anything more than a 4th round pick then it's a joke.

The 49ers forfeited a 2025 draft pick and had their 4th round pick this year moved down to the end of the comp picks this year because of an accounting error, even though they were still cap compliant. 

I have stopped trying to understand how the NFL hands out punishments. They seem to be all over the place. 

• Like 8

Such nonsense from the NFL, as if every half noteworthy FA player wasn't "tampered" with.

I don't even understand the point of the rule. Like there's some gigantic difference between them talking on March 3rd instead of 17th?(or whatever the days may be). I get an in-season ban on tampering, but some arbitrary date in the off season is so weird to me. Maybe I'm just missing the point though, lord knows I'm capable lol.

12 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Such nonsense from the NFL, as if every half noteworthy FA player wasn't "tampered" with.

I don't even understand the point of the rule. Like there's some gigantic difference between them talking on March 3rd instead of 17th?(or whatever the days may be). I get an in-season ban on tampering, but some arbitrary date in the off season is so weird to me. Maybe I'm just missing the point though, lord knows I'm capable lol.

The reasoning is that all 32 teams should be on the same playing field in terms of negotiating with  FAs. If one team follows the rules & doesn't call an agent until the tampering period opens, they are at a disadvantage compared to the team that fully negotiates a contract 2 weeks ahead of time. & if proven that a team (Atlanta) started talking with a player still under contract (Cousins), the punishment should be severe. I don't know if this happened, just sayin'

When do contracts technically end? After the super bowl? 

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Yes, but normally, all 32 teams are discreet enough to get away with it. This year, only 30/32 were. You have to at least have the guise of competitive balance rules and everyone following them.

James Franklin is getting his contact information removed from every member of the Eagles FO though, that is for sure.

21 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Kirk cousins was looking for houses in the Atlanta area weeks before free agency started they 100 percent tampered. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

Yes, but normally, all 32 teams are discreet enough to get away with it. This year, only 30/32 were. You have to at least have the guise of competitive balance rules and everyone following them.

James Franklin is getting his contact information removed from every member of the Eagles FO though, that is for sure.

James Franklin isn't a reliable source 

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Just give us 1.8 already so my conspiracy theory can come true!

That would be huge for you guys if that actually happened. Moving from 8 to 3/4 is a lot more attractive than dropping out of the top 10 for the teams you are trying to make a deal with I would imagine. 

• Like 1