Are we seeing the end of the Seahawks run?

gopherwrestler

I realize the team will have Wilson, but are we seeing the end of what the Seahawks once were?

Heard this brought up on a radio program, but there might be something to it.

You have players getting after one another.

Aging defensive backfield that have been battling injuries.

And some key pieces even not coming back next year.

could this be coming to an end?

Their window is closed. Whether or not they can re-tool quickly enough to build a new core around Wilson remains to be seen. Their run of excellence was largely based on hitting on mid/later round picks (Wilson, Chancellor, Sherman, Wright) and keeping those guys cheap for a while. Now that those players are older/banged up/more expensive, and the team has struggled to add depth at multiple key positions, it's going to be a tough task to rebuild on the fly. Replacing elite talent without hitting on high draft picks or spending big in free agency is difficult

Maybe? This season they've been decimated by injuries. Avril, Chancellor, and Sherman all on IR along with Wright and Wagner battling injuries, Earl Thomas missing a couple of games and it's all just added up.

Couple that with their OL being worse than ever before, their run game being worse than ever before, and a tough schedule and you have a recipe for disaster.

I think the Seahawks are a good draft away from being right back in the mix, assuming their key players return from injury. The biggest knock against them is that right now the returns on their big trades (Duane Brown and Sheldon Richardson) don't look good.

Pretty good article suggesting the end of the Legion of Boom:

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/seahawks-move-on-from-legion-of-boom/416559

As Michael Silver of NFL.com outlined, the Seahawks are likely to move on from the “Legion of Boom” this winter. Sherman, who tore his Achilles in November, is set to count $13.2 million against the cap in 2018. Seattle already gave serious thought to trading him this past offseason, so there’s a good chance the four-time Pro Bowler will be traded or released after the 2017 season. The same goes for safety Earl Thomas, who contemplated retirement at this time last year but has returned to have solid season. Thomas is signed through 2018, but Silver reports that those familiar with his thinking believe he could seek a raise that will pay him close to what Kansas City Chiefs safety Eric Berry makes, which is $13 million per year.

Yes. With hindsight, I think it's fair to say we've been seeing it for a couple seasons' now. This season, especially that outing AT HOME to the Rams, kind of feels like the nail in the coffin. 

However, they still have a young franchise QB, one of the best, and a good HC, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them "re-emerge" in the very near future, but I think they will certainly look much different. I think when/if they are successful again, it will be because they committed to the OL and got more talent on defense via draft.

It's kind of amazing, if they win XLIX they would have won multiple Super Bowls and have beaten two of the top 3 QB's of all time. Even if they exact same thing happened, all those guys are probably HOF'ers including Wilson. Now it's a massive what if. 

They're still a good team with a top-5 QB. Hard to imagine they won't continue to hang around for another few years, even if their defense continues to fall off.

I will say that the rapid improvement of the Rams and the 49ers finding their QBotF will make it a lot more difficult for them to remain at the forefront of the NFCW, however.

1 hour ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Their window is closed. Whether or not they can re-tool quickly enough to build a new core around Wilson remains to be seen. Their run of excellence was largely based on hitting on mid/later round picks (Wilson, Chancellor, Sherman, Wright) and keeping those guys cheap for a while. Now that those players are older/banged up/more expensive, and the team has struggled to add depth at multiple key positions, it's going to be a tough task to rebuild on the fly. Replacing elite talent without hitting on high draft picks or spending big in free agency is difficult

I think the biggest question for them is whether Wilson is at that tier as a QB where he can keep a team in the title hunt while they're in the midst of such a rebuilding/retooling phase. 

I think he's a top-5 QB, but guys like Roethlisberger, Brees and Rivers, who have all certainly been in the discussion as top-5 QBs, have all failed to overcome those circumstances during their careers. It really does seem to take a Brady/P. Manning/Rodgers-tier QB to do that.

Archived