Are we seeing the end of the Seahawks run?

gopherwrestler

I'm only going to say maybe, but lean toward yes, because I don't know what direction they are going to take this off season to move forward. Are they really moving on from the likes of Sherm and Thomas? IF so, it stands to reason they wouldn't bring back Graham, who is a free agent. Do they resign Sheldon Richardson? I think he's a free agent as well. They could really shed a lot of vets if they wanted to and that's a lot of talent to replenish. They don't have a ton of cap space - I think between 25-30 million with rollover if they don't move on from Sherm and Thomas, so I don't know how many pieces they can add that route either, given all of the money other teams have, so where do they resolve the offensive line problems? They can likely pick up a solid running back on the cheap (Carlos Hyde would spring to mind), but who replaces Graham? Paul Richardson has had some nice moments this year, but are you ready to roll with just Baldwin / Richardson / Lockette in the receiving game? Because that could be improved, especially if you lack Graham. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Paul Richardson has had some nice moments this year, but are you ready to roll with just Baldwin / Richardson / Lockette in the receiving game? Because that could be improved, especially if you lack Graham. 

Even Richardson is a free agent and really do believe he could get a big enough offer from a team to keep him away from the Seahawks.

Nah. Their defense probably won't be as good as it once was but they have enough core players to be consistently good. Once they fix that trash OL and get better depth/health that team will be a contender for awhile. That DL is aging though so this next draft class they'll need to add some juice to it. DE heavy imo

4 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Still maintain that Butler interception was the greatest play in the history of the NFL.

1.  Brady gets his fourth, becomes GOAT

2.  Belichick gets his fourth, becomes GOAT

3.  Deflategate nonsense put to rest

4.  Legion of Boom with SB win become greatest secondary ever - beating Peyton and Brady in back to back SBs and dominating in yards/points and pretty much every metric for two straight years.

5.  Seahawks defense becomes GOAT two year stretch ever.

6.  Carroll locks up HOF

7.  Thomas, Sherman, Wilson, become locks to HOF

8.  Seahawks win back to back SBs

9.  Fall out of offense vs defense chemistry issues never happen in Seattle.  They possibly win another and get a dynasty.

10.  Possibly the heat goes up a bit on Brady in 2015 and Belichick goes with Jimmy G

11.  With Jimmy G, Falcons win SB.  Brady to a team like the Texans?  Maybe the win a SB last year, no Watson result.

I mean some of the last ones are more speculative, but you basically reverse the fortunes of GOAT status from going to the Seahawks to Brady/Belichick in one play.  Patriots go from "can't win after spygate" to Brady is lock GOAT, Belichick is lock GOAT.   Seahawks go from back to back dominance to defense hates the offense.

Well I think a big one is with a loss that year Brady goes 3-3 in Super Bowls and the Pats will have ten full years of not winning since Spygate.  Also you would say that Seattle has finally arisen as the dynasty to succeed the Patriots. I truly believe a third heartbreaking playoff loss probably ends things 

It's never a bad thing to rebuild when a franchise QB is hanging around. Can continue investing with the OL and perhaps a FA to compliment their developmental draft picks. On defense, Wagner/Wright/Clark/Earl Thomas are terrific building blocks if they decide to make some moves. I think they'll look a little different next year, but their rebuild will be more Patriots esque in that they're gonna be contenders next year even if they make big changes on both sides of the ball. Can't emphasize how loaded the NFC is this season.

3 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

Sherman is their defense 

Sherman gets hurt and they suck

It's not just Sherman. Their whole defense has been ravaged by injuries this year. 

As for who makes that defense go round, my answer is Wagner. 

The Seahawks need to make some changes and upgrade at certain positions, but it's way too early to say their window is completely closed.  The first order of business needs to be to fire Darrell Bevel.  Next to go should be Tom Cable.  A fresh offensively philosophy would do wonders for this team.  Next, the Seahawks need to upgrade at certain positions - Interior offensive line, running back and I feel like they could use a big receiver.  Defensively, the team lost a lot with injuries to Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman and Cliff Avril.  Obviously, the question is... Can those guys actually come back and play at a high level?  That remains to be seen.

There is enough talent and experience on the defensive side of the football for that unit to be really good.  The offense needs to be upgraded via the draft/FA and if that can happen, I don't see why the Seahawks couldn't be a contender again.  I've said this earlier in the year, the Seahawks would probably have two to three wins if it weren't for Russell Wilson's brilliance.  Just upgrade some of the pieces around him in the off-season and get the defense healthy - Seattle will be back in the thick of things.

Not as long as Russell Wilson is healthy. They have a locked in top 3 or top 5 QB on their team and in this league that's enough to always compete. They're damn near close to a 1 man team this year and still in the wild card race, if things can get even moderately better elsewhere they'll continue to be a tough out. 

Russ's career trajectory is very similar to Big Ben's and Seattle is just going to have to go through the same transition Pittsburgh eventually went through when they realized their formula for success was no longer based around their defense but instead based first on their offense and their QB. The Legion of Boom is dead but even an average to moderately above average defense is good enough for them to be contender with an MVP-caliber QB under center. 

That team was built on a dominant defense and a contributing offense. Unfortunately, its extremely difficult to sustain a top 3 level defense for more than 2-3 seasons unless you draft extremely well because there are so many moving parts with 11 guys.

They have great pieces on offense with Wilson, Graham, Baldwin and Richardson who all have many more years left. They Seahawks just need to restock the defense with high round draft picks and start phasing out some guys on big contracts who are often injured. Put all of the money in free agency into the offensive line and draft defense to groom for one more year behind Kam, Thomas and Sherman--I would then consider breaking up the LOB after next season with a defensive heavy draft.

Archived