2024 NFL Draft: Day 1 Discussion

This makes the Penix selection even more confusing at 1.8.

Other teams weren't targeting him as one of the top 4 QBs, yet the Falcons still made the move to get him without trading back.

I feel bad for their fans and Kirk Cousins.

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Other teams weren't targeting him as one of the top 4 QBs, yet the Falcons still made the move to get him without trading back.

no need to, ATL fans are all pretty much fine with it.

and Cousins...? the WORST case scenario is he's let go after one year, and still makes 100 mil. a famous entertainer in the 1960's who was the butt of a lot of others' jokes, used to say, "I cry all the way to the bank."

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 6:15 PM, AP_allday2869 said:

The Dobbs games and the Raiders games really screwed us. We all knew the season was lost 8 games in. There would be no issue getting Maye if we lost even one of those games.

I wanted Maye as much as anyone, check my post the day after the 2023 draft! But I could not bring myself to cheering for the L's. I watched that horrible Raiders game with a Raiders fan and basked in the victory. We all knew Dobbs had no future here but it was fun and exciting watching that type of improvising QB play for us. JJ was my QB #3 and I'm happy our future is with him. I pray Maye is a bust as only second to GB, NE is my least liked team.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, vikes635 said:

I wanted Maye as much as anyone, check my post the day after the 2023 draft! But I could not bring myself to cheering for the L's. I watched that horrible Raiders game with a Raiders fan and basked in the victory. We all knew Dobbs had no future here but it was fun and exciting watching that type of improvising QB play for us. JJ was my QB #3 and I'm happy our future is with him. I pray Maye is a bust as only second to GB, NE is my least liked team.

No doubt. I was just upset in the moment but I don't care anymore and would much rather have what we have now over one Maye. JJ will be a stud for us!

• Like 5

On 4/25/2024 at 6:35 PM, AP_allday2869 said:

What's the worst that can happen? We potentially miss out on Mike Hughes and Laquon Treadwell and not win the Super Bowl for 64 years? 

The worst thing that could happen is we could spend decades thought of in the same light as yesteryears Lions, Bengals, Browns, Clippers, Padres, Oilers. 

I hate to say it but you do remember the Herschel trade?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

We don’t really know this. 
I believe one insider said that Raiders were considering moving up for Penix (not McCarthy). 

Which knows if Minny moves up to #10, if both Penix and McCarthy are available, and who knows if we would have went Penix instead. 

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 2

According to ESPN, Denver did attempt to trade up, presumably making Payton’s “pretend” jargon pretty hollow. ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler explained this week, “Sean Payton told reporters on Day 2 of the draft that he bluffed trade talks with Denver’s No. 12 overall pick. Turns out Payton was indeed calling around. The Bears heard from Denver and one other team while on the clock at No. 9. It wasn’t clear at the time which player Denver was targeting in any potential trade up, or if it even had a target.”

Denver drafted Bo Nix with the 12th overall pick, a prospect that Vikings fans almost universally wanted nothing to do with on draft night.

Fowler added, “But the Broncos have made clear they were all-in on Bo Nix — ‘our guy the whole way,’ as one source put it. Here’s to assuming Denver wanted the Vikings to take McCarthy off the board, clearing the way for Nix, since the teams picking in the 9-10-11 range were unlikely to be in the market for him.”

Therefore, someone isn’t telling the truth — either Nix was Denver’s target from the jump, or Payton is trying to dictate the narrative in a couple of different ways. A team couldn’t singularly target Nix while McCarthy was still on the board, call the Bears about a trade, claim to pretend a bluff, and then pick Nix all at the same time. Someone’s story is fishy, and it doesn’t take a detective to determine the culprit.

It seems like Denver wanted McCarthy if the price was right and fell back to Nix thereafter while claiming Nix was the foremost target. Revisionist storytelling.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/opinion/vikings-nemesis-shows-why-hes-the-vikings-nemesis?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

@BowserBroncos

• Like 2

The more Denver talks, the less believable they sound. It’s two weeks later and they are still trying to sell people (or themselves) that Bo Nix was their top choice. 

This is eerily sounding a lot like when the Vikings drafted Ponder. Ironically enough, George Paton was involved with both. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

The more Denver talks, the less believable they sound. It’s two weeks later and they are still trying to sell people (or themselves) that Bo Nix was their top choice. 

This is eerily sounding a lot like when the Vikings drafted Ponder. Ironically enough, George Paton was involved with both. 

Yeah. And at this point, who cares? You got a guy. Just tell everyone you're thrilled about havin Bo Nix as your QBOTF and that you think you're going to win Super Bowls with him. If someone asks if he was your top choice, just say yes. Say you weren't sure if he'd make it to your pick, but you're thrilled he did. Even if it isn't true. No need to do what Denver is doing just to save some face with fans and media.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The more Denver talks, the less believable they sound.

and by the way, why would a team's coach be calling teams and discussing trade terms? that's a GM's responsibility.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

and by the way, why would a team's coach be calling teams and discussing trade terms? that's a GM's responsibility.

We know who's really running that show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Sean Payton controls the room. 

George Paton is the GM in title only. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Sean Payton controls the room. 

George Paton is the GM in title only. 

Which isn't, unfortunately, what he ever signed up for when he took the job.  He's been snake-bitten since he got there...waited for the perfect opportunity and thought he had it...then all hell broke loose.

• Like 1