2024 NFL Draft: Day 1 Discussion

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

This just makes the whole situation/decision even worse. And just reinforces my opinion. Why sign Cousins? 

If Penix impressed them enough at the combine to take at #8, why on earth did they sign Cousins? 

Imagine if Atlanta has to forfeit their 1st round pick in 2025 as a result of the tampering allegations?

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Passing on Troy Fautanu was hard, at arguably both of those spots because he would be an instant starting at LG right away and would be already their best IOL on the roster.  That is a need and with all the draft picks they have traded away not sure one will be just sitting there in the 4th round.  What they have one 4th, one 5th and a 7th and that is it for the rest of the draft right...

Turner could be great in the system with his athletic ability and zone drop ability which Flores does all the time.  Does suck to not have the pure power and push Verse provides, Vikings have a lot of thin dudes on the edge but no real power which kind of stinks.  Good to be fast though and Turner was a great value at that spot.

True but was odd giving up so much just to move up to #10 unless they thought the Jets would trade that pick to someone else.  And even giving up what they got to get Turner but to me that made more sense because it was a higher move but even that was giving up #23 overall, 2 3rd round picks and a 4th rounder to go to #17 which is not nothing.

Latham clearly some around here are clueless on that guy, he is a monster and a mauler and since when is being a physically dominating OL bad.  The guy moves people and is a beast, awesome pickup and he is well worth being selected that high and was the most physically impressive build of any OL in the draft at the combine arguably.  The guy could be a great pro.  

It was a solid draft but does suck to lose so much capital, even to move up to get McCarthy but at least it was not three 1st round picks+!

McCarthy is the king of interviews and I am sure he will win over all of his teammates instantly, that is not the issue and never will be the issue.  So in that regard he will be off to a great start in Minnesota.

I agree that no Risner means they need a LG, and a guy that could play C would be a bonus.   If they snagged Mason McCormick in the 4th, we'd be set.   The man can play, and yes, he's old.  Problem is, Kwesi might have to move into today to get the guy.

52 minutes ago, viking said:

4 or 5 years?!?!?!?!

🤣

Fontenot learned his trade from Mickey Loomis, who we all certainly know doesn't do a lot of what is considered normal when it comes to cap management or drafting (and has managed to keep his job for over 20 years), so it probably shouldn't come as a surprise. 

Edited by swede700

Xavier Worthy: “Everybody’s dream is to play with Patrick Mahomes, probably one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Just to be able to play for him, everybody talks about it. I’ve been saying it for a while - I’m going to be a Chief.”

“I’ve been calling it, I’ve been saying it since the beginning of the year. Everybody thought the NFL was never going to let the Chiefs get to me. But I’m here. I’m excited, man, just to be able to play with Pat. Seeing the success that Tyreek Hill had in this offense, I feel like it will be amazing.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/xavier-worthy-everybodys-dream-is-to-play-with-patrick-mahomes

Edited by vike daddy

I went and looked back at the mocks I did...in 2 of the 40 mocks I did, I had the Vikings getting both Dallas Turner and JJ...of course, in both situations it was the reverse order, getting Turner at 11 and McCarthy at 23. 

• Like 2