1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Chad Greenway blew up his knee worse than this in his first rookie preseason game and had a fine career.

Not a QB who needs reps. I have no doubt this doesn't hurt long term, but it kills the short term. 

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Not a QB who needs reps. I have no doubt this doesn't hurt long term, but it kills the short term. 

most definitely. and i agree with your prior statements that this can't be couched as a good thing.

McCarthy though has admirable maturity and dedication, he'll make the best of this to improve himself and his game.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

to me, the worst part of this is that KO and Kwesi will be in contract years with JJ's first year. it just really messes up the timeline that they seemed to have locked in this offseason.

He's basically a rookie next year, really changes the timeline....

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

to me, the worst part of this is that KO and Kwesi will be in contract years with JJ's first year. it just really messes up the timeline that they seemed to have locked in this offseason.

I think the team would have to flat out implode for O’Connell and Kwesi not to get extensions next year. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Can players still practice on IR? No reason he can't run (non-contact) and throw passes in a few months. 

I don’t think they are allowed to practice unless they are designated to return, and then they can practice within the 3 week activation window. Doesn’t seem likely for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I would assume a knee injury would be more concerning for a linebacker. No doubt this is a setback, but there are definitely mental parts of the game McCarthy can work on even if he’s not practicing.

• Like 2

Well that is a gut punch, and people were saying oh he will only be out a month.  Surprising because in game he never seemed hurt, usually season ending surgery one notices the impact or hit in the game, where this was not like that at all.  And stinks he is so thin in his lower body, hopefully it is not another Teddy Bridgewater thing where he cannot stay healthy because of his thin lower body build.

Honestly it could be good, because seriously if the Vikings were 2-3 or more likely 1-4 going into the bye week, there is very little chance JJ McCarthy would not have been put in to start just because, especially if the team started losing.  Just hopefully now Darnold does not get hurt, because Nick Mullens again, ehhh, he could barely even beat out Josh Dobbs and Dobbs clearly struggles to complete basic forward passes.  

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I think the team would have to flat out implode for O’Connell and Kwesi not to get extensions next year. 

Absolutely.  Unless this team looks absolutely lifeless or the locker room collapses around KOC, I think he'll get at least another year.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Well that is a gut punch, and people were saying oh he will only be out a month.  Surprising because in game he never seemed hurt, usually season ending surgery one notices the impact or hit in the game, where this was not like that at all.  And stinks he is so thin in his lower body, hopefully it is not another Teddy Bridgewater thing where he cannot stay healthy because of his thin lower body build.

As somebody who had a meniscus surgery during my playing days: The thick- or thinness of the legs has negligible impact on the meniscus. Quite the contrary: The more weight and strain you put on your leg, the higher the chance of injuring your meniscus.

Just sucks, but you can come back pretty much 100%. I had my surgery in August 2008 (was also 21 at that time) and started practicing again in november of that year. Played my first game back from injury in April 2009 (season goes from April-October here) and was 100% in June. Of course, I had way worse medical facilities than a professional athlete and medicine has improved quite a lot in the last 16 years. So I remain optimistic.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, GermanVike said:

As somebody who had a meniscus surgery during my playing days: The thick- or thinness of the legs has negligible impact on the meniscus. Quite the contrary: The more weight and strain you put on your leg, the higher the chance of injuring your meniscus.

Just sucks, but you can come back pretty much 100%. I had my surgery in August 2008 (was also 21 at that time) and started practicing again in november of that year. Played my first game back from injury in April 2009 (season goes from April-October here) and was 100% in June. Of course, I had way worse medical facilities than a professional athlete and medicine has improved quite a lot in the last 16 years. So I remain optimistic.

You think medical facilitites have come a long way in the last 16 years? Think about how far they've come since VikeDaddy's playing days! When he tore his meniscus, they cut him open with two rocks and replaced the meniscus with a snake they found in the grass!

• Like 2