First impressions: Best and worst picks thus far?

RaidersAreOne

18 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, yeah - no Dejean was wild. Was convinced the Packers were gonna pull the trigger. 

Same.  But I also think draftniks valued him higher than the NFL does.  You play majority of your snaps at CB, and the NFL views you more as a safety.  Kinda reminds me of Brian Branch's "fall" on draft day.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I mean, to be fair, you still have holes on your roster and having cheap depth is nice too, that's where these picks come in.

Every team has holes on their roster.

Right now its really just CB, IOL and LB. Floe has said he doesnt value DL in his scheme that much so thats not really a big need either.

We also have over 100 million in projected cap space next year as well. So those holes we can try and replace through FA.

Theres avenues for us to recoup the draft capital we lost as well with a trade back of our FRP next year. In theory it could be a nice pick.

Edited by Sad People

4 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Every team has holes on their roster.

Right now its really just CB, IOL and LB. Floe has said he doesnt value DL in his scheme that much so thats not really a big need either.

We also have over 100 million in projected cap space next year as well. So those holes we can try and replace through FA.

Theres avenues for us to recoup the draft capital we lost as well with a trade back of our FRP next year. In theory it could be a nice pick.

Yea, but not every team trades away all their picks lol

A lot of teams have cap space next year

If it's a "nice pick" that's probably bad..

• Like 1

Worst:

1. Falcons: Penix at 8 is so easily the worst pick of the first, I don't know if it needs discussing.  Morris is a defensive genius, but he is just not cut out to be a head coach.
2. Raiders: Taking a TE in the first round is historically a bad bet.  Taking one when you just took the top TE last year?  That's bad.
3. Chargers: Taking Alt to play RT, on a team that just broke the bank for Herbert, when Malik Nabers was there shows a really, really dumb offensive philosophy for the team LA has.  And I think Alt is a top player, so the value is obviously fantastic.
4. Colts: As a Titans fan, I looooove this pick.  Latu got shut down by every good tackle he faced and has a long injury history.  And they took him as the first defensive player.  The Packers took a guy that shut him down 12 picks later and it still was seen as a slight reach.
5. Panthers: Like, I like Legette, but trading up for him AND taking him in the first, when Mitchell, Franklin, Coleman, and McConkey are there seems pretty dang iffy.
HM. Bills: Tried to get cute and missed a run on receivers.  Might end up being fine if they take Mitchell, who I think should have gone over all the other guys after Thomas, but I think it's very likely they lost their first choice.

Best:

1. Eagles: Mitchell was a nasty, nasty steal, at their biggest position of need.  Disgusting.
2. Rams: Verse falling to them is nuts.  He's a ready player who will be racking up sacks for an already good defense.
3. Jaguars: Trading down, and still getting a legit No. 1 target for Lawrence is something I do not like at all, as a Titans fan.
4. Bears: Getting Odunze for Caleb to throw to is about as good a result as you could hope for.  Bears have offensive pieces for real now.
5. Patriots: Staying pat and getting the second best QB in the draft was the right move.  They can still land either a good weapon or a stout OL for him in two more picks.
HM. Cardinals: Getting the draft's best player at 4 is just ridiculous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

3. Chargers: Taking Alt to play RT, on a team that just broke the bank for Herbert, when Malik Nabers was there shows a really, really dumb offensive philosophy for the team LA has.  And I think Alt is a top player, so the value is obviously fantastic.
4. Colts: As a Titans fan, I looooove this pick.  Latu got shut down by every good tackle he faced and has a long injury history.  And they took him as the first defensive player.  The Packers took a guy that shut him down 12 picks later and it still was seen as a slight reach.

Two things.  Look at the remaining WRs available and look at the remaining OTs available.  One looks a LOT deeper than the other.  Alt was absolutely the right pick.  Not a sexy pick, but the right pick.  Also, I don't think Latu faced Morgan very often in their matchup.  I believe he was lined up against their RT in that game and he had 1.5 sacks.

• Like 2

Just now, CWood21 said:

Two things.  Look at the remaining WRs available and look at the remaining OTs available.  One looks a LOT deeper than the other.  Alt was absolutely the right pick.  Not a sexy pick, but the right pick.  Also, I don't think Latu faced Morgan very often in their matchup.  I believe he was lined up against their RT in that game and he had 1.5 sacks.

I stand completely by Alt being a terrible pick.  He'll be a great player.  But there are right tackles still available that would have been fine.

Now, maybe somehow, Adonai Mitchell falls past Buffalo and New England and Washington.  But probably not.  And yeah, WR is deep, but so is OT.  There's still Kingsley Suimataia, Patrick Paul (if you like Paul), Christian Jones, Roger Rosengarten, Blake Fisher, and Kiran Amegadjie available.  I'm a big fan of Coleman, McConkey, and Franklin, but I don't think any of them plus Alt is a better get than Nabers and whichever RT is available.

As for Latu, I don't have the snap count, but I don't really care that much if he got sacks against Arizona's right tackle.  When he was against Morgan, IIRC, Morgan shut him down.  The same thing happened against Fuaga, against USC's LT, and Washington IIRC.  That's not a good resume.  I know I'm in the minority on Latu, but like I said, I am very happy to see him go to the Colts.  Because I hate the Colts.  So I rejoice that to me, it looks like they got a future bust.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Yea, but not every team trades away all their picks lol

A lot of teams have cap space next year

If it's a "nice pick" that's probably bad..

Why would having a nice pick during a transition year be a bad thing? We arent vying for the SB or the playoffs this year. Sam Darnold is not our future QB hes a stop gap.

If we were a cap strapped team then yeah id put more emphasis on those picks because thats how you fill out your roster but we are not. We have the means of filling those "holes" else where.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I stand completely by Alt being a terrible pick.  He'll be a great player.  But there are right tackles still available that would have been fine.

Now, maybe somehow, Adonai Mitchell falls past Buffalo and New England and Washington.  But probably not.  And yeah, WR is deep, but so is OT.  There's still Kingsley Suimataia, Patrick Paul (if you like Paul), Christian Jones, Roger Rosengarten, Blake Fisher, and Kiran Amegadjie available.  I'm a big fan of Coleman, McConkey, and Franklin, but I don't think any of them plus Alt is a better get than Nabers and whichever RT is available.

I mean, you can have Ladd McConkey/Adonai Mitchell/Keon Coleman with Joe Alt, or you have Malik Nabers/Rome Odunze with Kingsley/Suimataia/Roger Rosengarten/Blake Fisher.  I'd easily take the former, and it's not even close.  I'd rather have a "project" WR than a "project" OT.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

As for Latu, I don't have the snap count, but I don't really care that much if he got sacks against Arizona's right tackle.  When he was against Morgan, IIRC, Morgan shut him down.  The same thing happened against Fuaga, against USC's LT, and Washington IIRC.  That's not a good resume.  I know I'm in the minority on Latu, but like I said, I am very happy to see him go to the Colts.  Because I hate the Colts.  So I rejoice that to me, it looks like they got a future bust.

The YT video of Morgan against UCLA didn't look like Latu lined up opposite of him very often, but I also wasn't paying super closer attention.  Latu was the best pure EDGE defender in the class, but the medicals are a major red flag.  Latu was credited with 2 sacks against USC, 0.5 against Oregon State, and didn't play against Washington apparently.

• Like 1

I know its a hot take and im yanging when everyone is yining on this but i really dont mind the Falcons taking Penix Jr with their pick THAT much. At the time i reacted like everyone else but after sleeping on it this is what i think about it.

I see it as them extending their window at winning football games. If they would of taken Turner or Murphy then i would look at the Falcons and think they have a 2 year window at wining it all, Now i look at them and think they have 6+ years at being legit contenders IF Penix Jr works out like i think he is going to be. Also Kirk is the epitome of QB purgatory so they will more than likely be picking in the 20 range when it comes to the draft so they might not be in this position again for awhile to take another QB while not having to sacrifice draft capital. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Penix was a dude everywhere he’s been and his only issues are medical (legitimate) and age, whereas Nix basically sucked for 3 years and underachieved, followed by doing well and then great in a system where others have thrived for a decade that basically doesn’t translate at all in the next level where other more talented players like Mariota underwhelmed.

Penix succeeded at IU with a bunch of nobodies around him and then again at Washington.

Nix sucked at Auburn then everything clicked in that scheme as an old guy who should have been graduated if not for Covid. And the scheme didn’t make him do anything presnap, make NFL type throws, go through any professions or NFL caliber routes, etc. He is a plus athlete but not a great one and his accuracy is super spotty downfield.

Honest question...when was the last time the Broncos drafted a QB who was any good?

They didn't even draft Elway. Plummer?

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Honest question...when was the last time the Broncos drafted a QB who was any good?

They didn't even draft Elway. Plummer?

Plummer was drafted by Arizona.

• Like 1