2024 Day 2 NFL Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

CWood21

also not trying to be combative, but I don't think age is much of a factor here- I'm more interested in number of carries/touches and Lloyd's are actually pretty low, that and i think the covid era has led to some guys sticking in college, and NIL will too.

And the modern NFL RB is not a position likely to get a second contract (long term/lucrative), so he's got three years and you probably wouldn't re-sign him to another contract if he was 24 or 28

Now, I'd prefer to see a younger RB after the third round, because you just never know with the position, but it's almost splitting hairs because the FO does a really good job at identifying positions of value and drafting accordingly

Well, that's it for the most consequential draft picks of ours this year

I feel like this is one of our better ones too, and if Hafley does what he's supposed to with the new toys we just gave him this could finally be a top 5 defense again, an accomplishment we are wayyy overdue for after all the capital spent there.

I'd rank the draft A- so far

I love the Jordan Morgan pick, but if I was to one up it, I might have grabbed Xavier Worthy.  Admittedly part of that would have been to sabotage the Chiefs, but also because he would have been a luxury.  Yeah, I know, we gotta take care of needs and not luxuries but hey, what can I say?  I like nice things.

Favorite picks so far are Cooper and Lloyd because we've fortified the LB group now and perhaps got our Aaron Jones 2.0 guy.  Not as high on Hopper because of his injuries, and at some point we gotta break free of landing injury prone guys here.  But I think the overall blueprint our front office drew up was about as good as you could get based on our off-season goals.

Well, what might we get tomorrow?

With that cancerous rot Deguara gone (thank god), might we be going after his replacement?  I mean granted, we got Pearson still here for now, but I feel like if there is a John Kuhn 2.0 out there, you might go after him.

And, while I wouldn't go after this until either the 6th or 7th round, I would think about getting a punter.  Whelan is garbage and needs to get tossed ASAP, he makes Bojorquez look like Craig Hentrich in his prime.  Anders Carlson is in a competition right now with Greg Joseph and that other dude, so I say make Whelan have to earn his too.

This is the weirdest draft I've seen.............almost entirely because it wasn't weird - at all.

After something of a surprise with the Packers going Morgan at #25, the draft panned out like so many of the mock drafts I have done myself, almost like Gute was doing the fans tendency of getting their shopping list of filling holes.

Drafting OL, ILB, S, RB looks for all the world like drafting for need over BPA, though I could't say they appeared to be reaching for any of their players. Even the draft itself was  a bit spooky, with players I had tended to take because I thought they were good value (like CB Renardo Green (in mocks often going late round 3) and slot corner Jarrian Jones (late round 4) going a round earlier in the real draft.

The Packers even traded down at the pick I had most trouble with finding value at, pick 41 down to 45. It was very much like a draft I'd dreamed, expecting I was going to wake up and find that the Packers had done some really freaky out-of-the-box stuff.

The Packers missed out on one position I thought they needed, CB, and even at that position, it was very understandable after four corners got taken back to back before the Packers went at pick 45, not to mention getting pipped at the post for both Arnold (at #24) and DeJean (at #40).

All in all, a very dreamlike draft so far. I like what they they did a lot, as many others do. That post-draft mock I like to do, is not going to look much different to what the Packers actually did, this year.

Even the RB the Packers chose (Marshawn Lloyd at #88), I'd posted as being the most 'Packery' Packer choice for RB (my favourite RB, Corum, had gone 5 picks earlier). In addition, the second linebacker they chose, Hopper, the slightly undersized, but fast chaser, was their version of Trotter, who I often took in mocks along with Eichenberg (who would have been the Mike). No surprise there, as they had Hopper in as one of the 30 visits.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

You all need to subtract a year in draft years until the "Covid year" is no more, there are so many 24+ year olds in this draft and last year's (and will be next year) you really can't use it against Gute like you could when only 5% of the class was 24+ like in normal years.

• Like 2

Huber:

I pointed this out after the Bears drafted quarterback Caleb Williams at No. 1 overall and receiver Rome Odunze at No. 9 and the Vikings traded up for quarterback J.J. McCarthy at No. 10: Between the potential of Williams throwing to D.J. Moore, Keenan Allen and Odunze, McCarthy throwing to Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison and Jared Goff leading the explosive Lions, the NFC North passing attacks are no joke. And don’t forget the last two NFC champions, the Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers, have star-studded receiver corps, as well.

How are the Packers going to stop those prolific passing games? Maybe Jaire Alexander will return to All-Pro form, but Eric Stokes hasn’t broken up a pass since 2021 and Carrington Valentine’s rookie season was a wild ride of inconsistency. Doesn’t Gutekunst have to worry about matching up for those six NFC North games?

“I don’t really look at it a lot like that,” general manager Brian Gutekunst said. “To me, it’s just about making our team the best that we can make it. You don’t know what your needs are going to be once you get into September, October, November and down the line. There’s some good corners in this draft. We’ll see how that shakes out over the rest of the two days.”

Edited by Leader

Eight picks (I'm guessing we won't use all 8). Want to see a CB, 2 more OL, another SAF and an EDGE for sure. 

Malik Mustapha or Kitan Oladapo are my Day 3 crushes. Get one of them. 

Family event going on now so at least I didn’t have to see the Eagles jump ahead of us.

Makes me feel a little bit better reading the tea leaves and knowing we likely would have taken him if the Eagles didn’t leap us.

Still crestfallen and despondent.

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

See, I can find 2 prospects that are likely either on even playing field or just flat out better that are significantly younger. 

Jaylen Wright is 21 all of the NFL season and Cedric Gray is 21 until end of October. 

Yeah, will be interesting how some of those careers compare.  Younger is definitely my tie-breaker, so Gute choosing the older guys means the players weren't tie in their scouting.  Time will tell who's right.  Obviously at this stage, after the recent draft success, I default to IGWT.  

Personally I liked Lloyd better than Wright.  Wright was a big-play blazer.  But I'm not sure who well that would translate to the Packers, where all of our linemen are pass-block first and none are powerful run-blockers.  I see Lloyd as more shifty and elusive in tight spaces, which seems more normal for the Packers' run-blocking.   So yeah, I like the Lloyd pick over Wright, myself.  But will be super interesting to look back 3-4 years out and see how their careers have gone.  

• Like 1