🏈 Pick #77 is in! Raiders select T, Delmar Glaze, Maryland

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

I have the feeling we're going to groom him as a RT. 

I agree, dude is just 21 years old too.

Seems like a great guy to develop, though a slight reach.  Not thrilled, but not upset either with the pick. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, reddevil said:

A clear reach for need as the OTs were beginning to go quickly at that point.

They obviously had him higher than the rest in that cluster and didn’t want to take any chances. RT was the one position they had to at least come away with someone who could come in and have a chance at being able to make the roster with it being so barren.

He has some pretty interesting stats - low pressure rate and seems consistent in pass pro with his bets games coming against some of the strongest opponents like the Ohio State DEs.

If Brandon Thorn had him as a 4th rounder, given how many olineman had gone and were flying off the board, that seems about right in it being before you’d ideally like, but I suppose I get it given the situation. 

Not so sure I agree on that. We do have a Pro Bowl quality LT (IMHO) and Munford has at least started and looked decent at LT and RT. I also like Dalton Wagner as a prospect too and he has terrific tools to work with though he is a project admittedly. We also could have gone with a vet option just to shore up the tackle room after the draft if we didn't get a player there, there's still a few out there who are not terrible as a backup.

Maybe this kid surprises, and it wouldn't be a shock to me, but as we already have 2 kind of rough diamonds at OT that we're coaching up, to me you have to take an assuredly better player. A swing tackle is the kind of player you take in the 5th round to me, for example, Brandon Parker would have been a good pick in round 5 but over drafted in the 3rd.

I'm not going to over criticise as I simply don't know that much about this player but first impressions are a bit underwhelming honestly.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Not so sure I agree on that. We do have a Pro Bowl quality LT (IMHO) and Munford has at least started and looked decent at LT and RT. I also like Dalton Wagner as a prospect too and he has terrific tools to work with though he is a project admittedly. We also could have gone with a vet option just to shore up the tackle room after the draft if we didn't get a player there, there's still a few out there who are not terrible as a backup.

Maybe this kid surprises, and it wouldn't be a shock to me, but as we already have 2 kind of rough diamonds at OT that we're coaching up, to me you have to take an assuredly better player. A swing tackle is the kind of player you take in the 5th round to me, for example, Brandon Parker would have been a good pick in round 5 but over drafted in the 3rd.

I'm not going to over criticise as I simply don't know that much about this player but first impressions are a bit underwhelming honestly.

Oh I agree. Underwhelming for sure. I’m just trying to understand the pick.

Just watched the Athletic and then the Bootleg guys coverage and they both said that the cupboard was emptying and that there were only about 3 or so Tackles left in the, ‘has a chance to be the 3rd Tackle on a team rather than a very developmental 4th guy on your roster’. 

The FO obviously felt that they needed to come out of the draft (rightly or wrongly) with a Tackle and felt like this was their last chance to get one that could contribute in their projections.

They put themselves in this situation but I understand, albeit it is underwhelming as you say. Especially after the first 2 picks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 101Raider said:

I agree, dude is just 21 years old too.

Seems like a great guy to develop, though a slight reach.  Not thrilled, but not upset either with the pick. 

My thing with that is that if there were a lot of people on here who said it's OK if Aiden O'Connell beats out JJ McCarthy when we would've had to go up to get him because he's only 20 then we can bear this guy sitting for a year despite being a day 2 pick.

On 4/27/2024 at 4:20 PM, reddevil said:

Oh I agree. Underwhelming for sure. I’m just trying to understand the pick.

Just watched the Athletic and then the Bootleg guys coverage and they both said that the cupboard was emptying and that there were only about 3 or so Tackles left in the, ‘has a chance to be the 3rd Tackle on a team rather than a very developmental 4th guy on your roster’. 

The FO obviously felt that they needed to come out of the draft (rightly or wrongly) with a Tackle and felt like this was their last chance to get one that could contribute in their projections.

They put themselves in this situation but I understand, albeit it is underwhelming as you say. Especially after the first 2 picks!

Yeh, I can see the rationale but honestly, if we’re seeing a run or anticipating a run, which was suspected by a few people, then maybe we need to try and get ahead of that and trade up a bit. Easier said than done of course, and maybe we couldn’t but this is a pick we’ll just have to see on I guess. I would have probably gone with value rather than need but then I’m probably higher on a Munford and Wagner than most 🙂

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

This seems to be a strange one.........if you want an OG Haynes, Mahogany, Zinter and Puni seem to be better options maybe and is he really any better than Munford at OT, Munford seems to have more traits for a OT? I'm a fan of Wagner at OT too and think he has better traits that need polishing.

Could be a selection that surprises of course, and maybe it's name recognition on my part but this one has me curious...........

From Telesco yesterday it seems the plan is to try him at RT and then potentially G.

So at the very least we drafted him because of his versatility to play all positions on the line with the best outcome being he earns the RT spot. 

• Like 1

I liked him as a sleeper on Day 3. On the broadcast I was watching said he was a 5th / 6th rounder. I did more research and feel better about the pick 

• seemed to play better as a RT than LT- top 5 rated pass protecter in 2022 as a RT
  • can play either side so can serve as a swing tackle. Very Important depth position 
  • Freakish 7'0 wingspan 
  • Still only 21 - has room to grow. Age is a big factor on a player ceiling. I never get why people ignore it 
  • Better pass protecter than run blocker right now. Coaching staff must think that can be developed 
  • experience in zone scheme
  • also has potential to kick inside 

He isn't a no brainer instant starter like the first two picks. I think he will battle Munford for the starting RT spot, and worse case is the swing tackle. After more due diligence, I like the pick. Solid Pick with potential. It's the 3rd round, and not the first. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I have the feeling we're going to groom him as a RT. 

Imo he was better at rt than lt. I liked him better than his lt buddy Duncan who got drafted last year still a lil early for him but meh

• Like 2

On 4/27/2024 at 3:32 AM, Rich7sena said:

Judge for yourselves.

I had never heard of him before, but he's the type of tackle I like. He moves really well. I watched him against Ohio State and Michigan and counted only one loss. He was impressive.

Had time to watch this and glad I did. Really impressive game and can absolutely see the potential there.

He went against mainly Jack Sawyer and a little bit of JT Tuimoloau and more than held his own - stonewalling them numerous times. Has a really solid looking body, has a strong punch and when he gets a long arm in, he can keep keep it extended while moving. He has a really quick first step and looks a pretty smooth athlete, doesn't appear heavy footed. Bit slow to change direction - but no plodder. Loads of examples of him moving well in space.

What I really liked was his motor. Several times he is there, pushing the pile or seems to be the last one still running or engaged at the end of the play.

Don't know if I will be able to find much more on him and would love to see a few games of him playing RT from last season, where he had very similar and good pass blocking stats.

Definitely has traits that Cregg can hopefully develop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

Don't know if I will be able to find much more on him and would love to see a few games of him playing RT from last season, where he had very similar and good pass blocking stats.

Search "Maryland offense vs" on YouTube. I'm sure there are some 2022 games.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 7:59 PM, reddevil said:

Had time to watch this and glad I did. Really impressive game and can absolutely see the potential there.

He went against mainly Jack Sawyer and a little bit of JT Tuimoloau and more than held his own - stonewalling them numerous times. Has a really solid looking body, has a strong punch and when he gets a long arm in, he can keep keep it extended while moving. He has a really quick first step and looks a pretty smooth athlete, doesn't appear heavy footed. Bit slow to change direction - but no plodder. Loads of examples of him moving well in space.

What I really liked was his motor. Several times he is there, pushing the pile or seems to be the last one still running or engaged at the end of the play.

Pretty much agree with you!

Pass protection against legitimate competition was very good, he looked composed and as you say, well proportioned, strong lower half and light on his feet considering his size. Moves very well. Looked a bit lost in run blocking in the open a few times but overall impressive, especially when compared to his teammate 55 on the other size who's like the polar opposite, top heavy, feet a mess and plays too high. Glaze plays with good leverage looks in control of his feet, sinks his hips and dealt with the spin moves easily. 

Noticed what you said about his motor and energy too, big effort on the interception return and playing up to and slightly after the whistle which is always good.

Thanks @Rich7sena, that video was a nice window into Glaze's skills 🙂

• Like 2