2024 Day 3 NFL Draft Thread

CWood21

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Blake Martinez made a lot of tackles, but he was not good at professional football. Apparently, he is really good a buying and selling Pokémon cards though. 

When is the last time we had a 3rd round comp pick? 

As for Stokes, tag him if he goes off this year. It's difficult to pay a guy who was out for almost two years injured. Not his fault, but can we trust him? 

I don't know if we have ever had a 3rd round comp pick.  

Isn't Martinez the best player that the team has let walk after only one contract?

34 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

If Stokes balls out i hope we tag and trade him. Teams pay a premium for CBs 

I'm not sure how our cap looks, but that is an even better option.

The little I've heard out of camp has been quite positive for Stokes.

But also for Valentine, maybe even moreso.  And our 7th rounder, King, looks like he can play, too.

32 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But if Stokes has a great year, it is a hallmark of the team to pay that guy.  Who is the last guy that had a great season that the Packers let go? Blake Martinez?

Davante is the only one who comes to mind who had a truly great year who then left the team. Martinez had a nice number of tackles but I don't know how great of a year he truly had.

Micah Hyde from the Thompson era comes to mind as well.

Edited by Striker

17 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Is GB the only fan base that is fascinated with the idea of getting rid of guys as soon as they show they can play at a high level?

Nope.

Speaking for myself, I get fascinated with the idea of getting rid of guy before he can even show that he can play at a high level.

All seriousness, though, I look at cost for the player as well as reinforcements behind him.  Even if Stokes does play at a high level, he has been hurt a lot and I do like the depth right now.

And I very much believe that GB will add a lot to the CB room in the coming draft.  But, we shall see.  I hope the "will they or won't they" game is a good one this offseason concerning Stokes.  Either way, GB benefits.

13 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Isn't Martinez the best player that the team has let walk after only one contract?

Bryce Paup.  Different era, though.

Maybe Casey Hayward.  Micah Hyde.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Apparently, he is really good a buying and selling Pokémon cards though. 

A good part of his acumen at Pokemon dealing was because he was doing some fraud.  Fraud is a time honored technique for making a bunch of money (for a little while, before you get caught).

Like one thing that people do with all sorts of trading cards (pokemon, baseball, etc.) is to have someone streaming "break" the box and auction off the unopened packs which they will then open on stream.  The reason for this is that in a lot of different trading card runs the most valuable cards will be normal cards augmented with foil or holograms or some additional overlay which adds nonzero weight to the card.  So what dishonest stores will do is weigh the packs with a very accurate electronic scales and separate out any of them that are heavier to open and sell the rare thing as a single.  Then you put the remaining packs which have nothing special in them in the display by the register.  So the "you see the streamer open the box on stream" is supposed to be proof that they didn't do that.  Of course, if they opened the box off camera, sifted through the packs for anything valuable, replaced them with ordinary packs, and then put new shrink wrap on the box you can fool people on the internet.  The other thing Blake Martinez was doing is if there was a particularly valuable pack available (say to sell the idea that "you could win big" ) you ensure that the person winning the option is an accomplice, or if somehow you screw up then you just don't mail the cards to the person who won them.

Stuff like this is why he's banned from the whole "Pokemon trading marketplace" thing.  Which is why he unretired last season (I think he ended up with the Steelers.)

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The Packers received a 3rd round comp pick for Greg Jennings in 2014, that is the last time they received a 3rd. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A good part of his acumen at Pokemon dealing was because he was doing some fraud.  Fraud is a time honored technique for making a bunch of money (for a little while, before you get caught).

Like one thing that people do with all sorts of trading cards (pokemon, baseball, etc.) is to have someone streaming "break" the box and auction off the unopened packs which they will then open on stream.  The reason for this is that in a lot of different trading card runs the most valuable cards will be normal cards augmented with foil or holograms or some additional overlay which adds nonzero weight to the card.  So what dishonest stores will do is weigh the packs with a very accurate electronic scales and separate out any of them that are heavier to open and sell the rare thing as a single.  Then you put the remaining packs which have nothing special in them in the display by the register.  So the "you see the streamer open the box on stream" is supposed to be proof that they didn't do that.  Of course, if they opened the box off camera, sifted through the packs for anything valuable, replaced them with ordinary packs, and then put new shrink wrap on the box you can fool people on the internet.  The other thing Blake Martinez was doing is if there was a particularly valuable pack available (say to sell the idea that "you could win big" ) you ensure that the person winning the option is an accomplice, or if somehow you screw up then you just don't mail the cards to the person who won them.

Stuff like this is why he's banned from the whole "Pokemon trading marketplace" thing.  Which is why he unretired last season (I think he ended up with the Steelers.)

He carried himself like an Eagle Scout/National Honor Society/“this is what a Packer Person looks like” kind of guy. There were stories that he had never eaten candy or soda or pastries. It is odd to pair that squeaky clean image with such a calculated, deliberate defrauding of others.

He still lags behind Favre, Sharper, and Mossy Cade in the “Let’s destroy our Legacy” game, but he gets extra credit for absurdity. 

24 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

He carried himself like an Eagle Scout/National Honor Society/“this is what a Packer Person looks like” kind of guy. There were stories that he had never eaten candy or soda or pastries. It is odd to pair that squeaky clean image with such a calculated, deliberate defrauding of others.

I mean the whole business of breaking is dependent on "the audience trusts the person who is opening the packs, and streaming it."   It's possible that Blake was not the brains behind the operation, but that his accomplices specifically leveraged his squeaky clean reputation to further the con.

Like the thing that some of the sports breakers do to establish trust is in addition to letting people buy a slot (like "you get the contents of the 5th pack"), you let people pick a team (like "you get all the Packers") or a division (like "you get all the NL Central") or have the viewers take turns drafting the cards you open with a random order.  These are things that are harder to fix so they help to develop trust.

But there's not really a good way to do this with Pokemon cards.  I guess you could presell "all the fire types" to one viewer, but i don't think that matches how people play the game (whereas sports fans are often fans of a specific team.)

25 minutes ago, joeybrowner47 said:

Every team makes mistakes. I distinctly remember a third round pick of the Vikings named Gilbert Brown who we cut in training camp. He turned out ok for some other team. I can’t recall who though 😂

It was those doggone Baltimore Colts! Scallywags! 

18 hours ago, R T said:

The Packers received a 3rd round comp pick for Greg Jennings in 2014, that is the last time they received a 3rd. 

So, I'm not looking this up, so tell me....Greg Jennings walked after his second deal with GB, right?

The question posed was who did we let walk, who was quite good, on their second contract?

Granted, you are spot on concerning the 3rd round comp pick.

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So, I'm not looking this up, so tell me....Greg Jennings walked after his second deal with GB, right?

The question posed was who did we let walk, who was quite good, on their second contract?

I think I posed the general question during the conversation about when/if we even had a 3rd round comp pick. 

You are correct about the discussion being about second contracts, but my question about a 3rd round comp was in general. It did not pertain specifically to a 2nd contract.

47 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

For first contracts, you’d have to throw Matty Flynn as a guy that walked and brought back a decent return. He didn’t get enough to bring back a third but it was close. I think him not playing much on his new contract also influenced the return combined with other guys we brought in that year. Either way, it was a good deal for the Pack and Flynn who still returned to help us sneak into the playoffs down the road.

But to your point, we rarely let the best of the best walk out after their rookie deal and get those 3rd round comps. They are fairly rare in general in the NFL.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

In the past 10 years the list may include Casey Hayward, Micah Hyde, J.C. Tretter, Martinez, MVS, Lazard, Savage, Davon House, Matt Flynn. 

I'm sure some on this list will freak a few people out because they had their feelings hurt at some point by a few of them. 

Edit. Looking at some older ones, Daryn Colledge signed a sizable 5-year, 2nd contract with the Cardinals in 2011.

Edited by R T