Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)

goldfishwars

On 5/8/2024 at 8:44 PM, stl4life07 said:

Yeah I would be shocked if the Rams do miss that 2nd round pick next season. I also think part of the Rams trading up (which they tried to trade up in the 1st round) is bc they had 11 draft picks coming into the draft. It was tied for the most picks in the league. They Rams didnt really have that many big holes to fill and they just wanted day 1 impact starters. So if they identified Fiske as a day 1 impact starter then yes it made sense to trade for him and not sacrifice any of their 3rd round picks in Corum (who will be very valuable to the offense) and Kenchins who could end up being another impact starter at some point next season possibly even day 1 although Im not banking on it. So the Rams come away saying they have four potential day 1 impact starters (Verse, Fiske, Kenchins, and Karty), plus a valuable player to the offense in Corum who is essentially similar to Kyren so if Kyren gets hurt or is taking play(s) or a series off the offense wont go in the tank like it did last season without Kyren. So again no I dont think the Rams will miss that 2nd round pick. Plus it wouldnt shock me if the Rams manage next draft to trade down in the 1st round to get back that 2nd round pick worse case scenario. And I think they will get an extra 3rd next season too as a comp so while its not a 2nd I think they will still feel good about two 3rd's next year.

Who said its a long term strategy? The Rams had their strategy of trading 1st round picks when their window was now. They didnt trade their 1st round pick this season. They kept it to draft a player. I do think Les and McVay are smart about how they want to go about the draft and in general roster building. Again trading their 2nd round pick isnt going to ruin the team so I think its being way overblown.

According to you and most people he wasnt. But Ive heard others say he was their best defensive tackle in the draft. At the very least he was in the top 3-5 but rankings vary from person to person. We can both agree the Rams didnt reach for him.

As for Karty, Im just going off of what PFF College Football Analyst Max Chadwick said about Karty. And all those kickers you named he said based on the numbers that he tracked with kickers Karty was rated higher but the tracker hasnt gone that far back I think so yeah. Again he called Karty special. We dont know how he will do in the NFL but in college thats what he was referring too and so Im excited to see how he does in the NFL.  

Being petty with GFW in his own thread. 🤦 

On 5/5/2024 at 3:28 PM, Jeezla said:

Is there any chance Jer'Zhan Newton doesn't get 20+ sacks his rookie season?

We already know Jayden Daniels will throw for 5800 yards and 49 td's. That means teams will constantly be in come-back pass happy mode, and Newton should get at least 21 sacks.

He is going to do it without his feet apparently.  Amazing!

On 5/12/2024 at 3:53 PM, Duluther said:

Being petty with GFW in his own thread. 🤦 

Im not being petty. Thats just your perception. I actually look forward to and enjoy these draft ranking threads every year. 

On 5/9/2024 at 9:07 PM, TankWilliams said:

Funny, after opting not to fire Matt Eberflus everyone told me the Bears had the worst GM in the league

I mean, I'd be leery about crowning him just yet.  He's taken what teams have given him, and kudos to him on that one.  But nothing has suggested he's some top tier GM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I'd be leery about crowning him just yet.  He's taken what teams have given him, and kudos to him on that one.  But nothing has suggested he's some top tier GM.

The drafting suggests exactly that.

On 5/11/2024 at 7:58 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Thanks, I can grab the rest of the data. With 7 years of threads, I've got some other ideas that might be interesting to see, like how the GFW ranking compares to point differential in years 1, 2, 3, and 4 of a draft class, or how GFW ranking in one year compares to the next. Any other ideas?

8jlh9fn.png

First thought is that this strongly backs up what I think we all intuitively knew, that these rankings prioritize efficient use of draft capital. Still I'm a bit surprised, this is a smaller correlation than I expected. Unless teams spend their value wisely, they are only getting 20 cents on the dollar.

Second thought is Detroit and KC crushed it.

Cleveland on the far right and lowest end is just my favorite thing ever

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

The drafting suggests exactly that.

Because he did exactly what he was supposed to do, I'm supposed to go out of my way to praise him?  I'd argue his entire career as GM of the Bears is being held afloat because of one franchise's stupidity.  I'd imagine that 31/32 GMs would have taken the deal the Panthers gave the Bears for the right to draft.  If you want to give him kudos for making that deal, go ahead.  But let's look at his drafting history.

2.39 - CB Kyler Gordon
2.48 - S Jaquan Brisker
3.71 - WR Velus Jones
5.168 - OT Braxton Jones
5.174 - EDGE Dominique Robinson
6.186 - OL Zachary Thomas
6.203 - RB Trestan Ebner
6.207 - OL Doug Kramer
7.226 - OL Ja'Tyre Carter
7.254 - S Elijah Hicks
7.255 - P Trent Gill

The Bears managed to get a solid nickel corner in Kyler Gordon and a solid starting safety in Jaquan Brisker in the 2nd round, but their 3rd round pick Velus Jones was a massive reach and likely won't see the end of his rookie contract in Chicago.  Braxton Jones in the 5th round was probably their best pick.  I'm not sure I share the optimism that he's a high-end starting OL, but I think he's at least serviceable.  Zachary Thomas was immediately cut and claimed by the Rams, Ebner lasted 1 year in the league, and Trent Gill was actively replaced this draft.  They got some ST depth in Elijah Hicks, but that's about it.  That's not a great draft.  Just a meh draft at best.

1.10 - OT Darnell Wright
2.53 - DT Gervon Dexter
2.56 - CB Tyrique Stevenson
3.64 - EDGE Zacch Pickens
4.115 - RB Roschon Johnson
4.133 - WR Tyler Scott
5.148 - LB Noah Sewell
5.165 - DB Terrell Smith
7.218 - DT Travis Bell
7.258 - S Kendall Williamson

Darnell Wright has a LOT going for him, but there's still quite a bit of work that needs to come out of him.  I liked him even if it was a bit early for my taste when the Bears took him this year.  I wasn't a fan of Dexter coming out of Florida, but he popped some and needs to show some consistency in his 2nd year.  Stevenson was used and abused as a rookie when he was 2nd in targets and 2nd in receptions allowed amongst CBs, but he did finish with 4 interceptions.  He needs to clean it up.  Pickens added some depth, but he needs to be more than that.  I really liked the Roschon Johnson pick, but he just buried by the signing DeAndre Swift signing (WTF?).  And Tyler Scott got buried with their current WR depth chart.  The rest is at best depth.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Because he did exactly what he was supposed to do, I'm supposed to go out of my way to praise him?  I'd argue his entire career as GM of the Bears is being held afloat because of one franchise's stupidity.  I'd imagine that 31/32 GMs would have taken the deal the Panthers gave the Bears for the right to draft.  If you want to give him kudos for making that deal, go ahead.  But let's look at his drafting history.

2.39 - CB Kyler Gordon
2.48 - S Jaquan Brisker
3.71 - WR Velus Jones
5.168 - OT Braxton Jones
5.174 - EDGE Dominique Robinson
6.186 - OL Zachary Thomas
6.203 - RB Trestan Ebner
6.207 - OL Doug Kramer
7.226 - OL Ja'Tyre Carter
7.254 - S Elijah Hicks
7.255 - P Trent Gill

The Bears managed to get a solid nickel corner in Kyler Gordon and a solid starting safety in Jaquan Brisker in the 2nd round, but their 3rd round pick Velus Jones was a massive reach and likely won't see the end of his rookie contract in Chicago.  Braxton Jones in the 5th round was probably their best pick.  I'm not sure I share the optimism that he's a high-end starting OL, but I think he's at least serviceable.  Zachary Thomas was immediately cut and claimed by the Rams, Ebner lasted 1 year in the league, and Trent Gill was actively replaced this draft.  They got some ST depth in Elijah Hicks, but that's about it.  That's not a great draft.  Just a meh draft at best.

1.10 - OT Darnell Wright
2.53 - DT Gervon Dexter
2.56 - CB Tyrique Stevenson
3.64 - EDGE Zacch Pickens
4.115 - RB Roschon Johnson
4.133 - WR Tyler Scott
5.148 - LB Noah Sewell
5.165 - DB Terrell Smith
7.218 - DT Travis Bell
7.258 - S Kendall Williamson

Darnell Wright has a LOT going for him, but there's still quite a bit of work that needs to come out of him.  I liked him even if it was a bit early for my taste when the Bears took him this year.  I wasn't a fan of Dexter coming out of Florida, but he popped some and needs to show some consistency in his 2nd year.  Stevenson was used and abused as a rookie when he was 2nd in targets and 2nd in receptions allowed amongst CBs, but he did finish with 4 interceptions.  He needs to clean it up.  Pickens added some depth, but he needs to be more than that.  I really liked the Roschon Johnson pick, but he just buried by the signing DeAndre Swift signing (WTF?).  And Tyler Scott got buried with their current WR depth chart.  The rest is at best depth.

Discount 2022. Poles was brand new and had little input. 2023 was a step up and 2024 was very good. Even if you count the first pick as a no-brainer, the rest of the draft is excellent.

We saw similar things from Veach in KC.

I don't like the Worthy pick, but I guess if it's Mahomes throwing him the football he'll pan out in some shape or form. Well Sky Moore and Mecole Hardman still turned out to be JAGs. IDK

Loved the Jaden Hicks pick, Kingsley Suamateia can be good if given plenty of time to develop under the right O-Line tutelage.

+1 to not crowning Poles given the no-brainers, here. He gets credit for not fumbling it, credit for bringing talent to the offense, but top tier GM? How about we wait for a winning season or two before then?

• Like 3