The Hafley Defense, Conquering the 49ers, and Ty'Ron Hopper

5 hours ago, squire12 said:

CMC, Hall, Bijan, Barkley, Henry, Taylor, Gibbs are probably ahead of Jacobs.  Then toss in the mix with Jacobs....ETN, Montgomery, Jones. Kamara, Pacheco  Kyren, Walker 

I don't think Barkley or Henry are ahead of Jacobs (or it's a push at best, at least based on age/efficiency). I'd also consider moving Walker up that list.

20 hours ago, craig said:

96 Packers were so dominant.  Great offense, led the league in scoring by 38 points, 58 ahead of the #3 team and the next-highest scoring team in NFC.  Great defense, fewest points, fewest yards, lowest yards-per-play, fewest 1st downs, fewest yard per pass attempt, 3rd in turnovers.  Comprehensively great and dominant, complete team.  

During many of the Rodgers years, the expectation was that the offense should be good and carry the team.  But there's such a difference between being pretty good, top 10 or maybe top 5, versus being way ahead of the rest of the league.  Would be fun to somehow have an unstoppable premier elite offense.   Or a premier elite can-stop-anybody defense.  But to have both at the same time, how was that even possible?  

The 96 Packers, like the 91 Washington team, are kind of underrated on the "Great Teams of All-Time" list, probably because they were more or less one-offs. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 10:51 PM, Striker said:

I don't think Barkley or Henry are ahead of Jacobs (or it's a push at best, at least based on age/efficiency). I'd also consider moving Walker up that list.

I agree. Barkley's underachieved and Henry's on the back 9 of his career(which is why he went to Baltimore to chase a ring). I think KWIII should be up the list too; he and Charbonnet could be one of the better tandems in the league. While Jacobs has been one of the more consistent backs in the league, he's neck-n-neck with Etienne in that A-tier in terms of ability, but barely has an edge over Kyren and Pacheco in the high B-tier at this specific moment in time - that'll change though so long as he stays healthy IMHO.

On 6/20/2024 at 11:47 PM, Rosser80 said:

So he gets our D to top-10 or top-5 status; you really think he may get poached after a year or two? I'm not so sure. Plus, you're seeing guys who are turning down HC positions to win and actually coach the players vs. serving as more of an organizational administrative figure. I think he's another 4-5 year guy who comes in guns blazing, but most likely will fade out sometime year 3 and then we're wanting fresh blood again. JMO

It sounds like wishful thinking more than anything else, but I tossed a hypothetical out there: what if he really does live up to his college benchmarks and gives us a D comparable with our O (when it’s been our O carrying our D for over a decade)? Making a team that hasn’t had a D worth talking about in quite a while elite again in his first full stint running a defense in the NFL (he’s had secondary/DB coaching experience in the NFL mind you) would certainly catch the eye of HC-needy teams and we all know how much they overvalue defensive-minded coaches, I also touched on that. For every BB and Mike Tomlin, there’s a dozen(s) that fail, some (many?) spectacularly. Too many GMs fail to see that, and so I could see him getting poached after a year or two if he’s the one to finally put our D over the top.

Edited by KManX89

40 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

It sounds like wishful thinking more than anything else, but I tossed a hypothetical out there: what if he really does live up to his college benchmarks and gives us a D comparable with our O (when it’s been our O carrying our D for over a decade)? Making a team that hasn’t had a D worth talking about in quite a while elite again in his first full stint running a defense in the NFL (he’s had secondary/DB coaching experience in the NFL mind you) would certainly catch the eye of HC-needy teams and we all know how much they overvalue defensive-minded coaches, I also touched on that. For every BB and Mike Tomlin, there’s a dozen(s) that fail, some (many?) spectacularly. Too many GMs fail to see that, and so I could see him getting poached after a year or two if he’s the one to finally put our D over the top.

This is like the guy who complains about a relationship with a super model because everyone is looking at her and wants her. 

After he goes prevent with his CB's 10 yards off the line of scrimmage in the final minute of the first half against the Eagles and gives up a score the infatuation will be over. 

Now if he ends up being all that and a bag of donuts and signs with someone else after the season, just be thankful for the incredible orgasm filled year with a super model and the many fond memories she left behind.   

• Like 1

I am really not getting this thing where GB fans seem concerned about Hafley moving on if he turns the Packers defense around.  Of course he would.  That's how it works with successful coordinators.

29 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am really not getting this thing where GB fans seem concerned about Hafley moving on if he turns the Packers defense around.  Of course he would.  That's how it works with successful coordinators.

Agreed. That's the goal. I hope like hell he is good enough to hired as a HC elsewhere. That means we're successful and the next talented and hungry DC will want to take his spot. That is ideal.

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Agreed. That's the goal. I hope like hell he is good enough to hired as a HC elsewhere. That means we're successful and the next talented and hungry DC will want to take his spot. That is ideal.

Not quite ideal. If he was black, there would be a 3rd round compensatory pick coming the Packers way when they lost him. The 49ers have managed to leverage this to their advantage many times, in the last few years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2024 at 4:29 PM, incognito_man said:

League is tending more with Offensive minds to be HC's.  Might work to our favor.  Ideally he'd turn the D around but also stick.  We've had our share of poor DC's.  Be nice to have the right guy in place for awhile. 

26 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

League is tending more with Offensive minds to be HC's.  Might work to our favor.  Ideally he'd turn the D around but also stick.  We've had our share of poor DC's.  Be nice to have the right guy in place for awhile. 

If the defensive becomes legit and Hafley leaves for a HC position, I would hope there is a position coach being prepped for a step up to DC position.

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If the defensive becomes legit and Hafley leaves for a HC position, I would hope there is a position coach being prepped for a step up to DC position.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Hafley will be in GB for a few years at least.  I can't see a strong first season as DC vaulting him into a HC role. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

39 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Hafley will be in GB for a few years at least.  I can't see a strong first season as DC vaulting him into a HC role. 

Wasn't implying it would only be 1 year.  

On 6/28/2024 at 3:56 PM, Mazrimiv said:

Yeah, like the guy left a HC job at a major college program to be DC for the Packers not because this was a great opportunity for him, but because he wasn't succeeding at Boston College (which may be an impossible job) and was going to get fired in the next couple seasons.

I'm pretty sure that rules him out from being a hot HC candidate in the near-term.

34 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yeah, like the guy left a HC job at a major college program to be DC for the Packers not because this was a great opportunity for him, but because he wasn't succeeding at Boston College (which may be an impossible job) and was going to get fired in the next couple seasons.

I'm pretty sure that rules him out from being a hot HC candidate in the near-term.

Packers win the Superbowl and field a top 5 defense.  That might get some teams nibbling.  It's been a long time since we had a decent D.  2010?  Capers.  Just about every starter is going to be a 1st rounder.  Clark, Gary, Wyatt, LVN, Walker, Alexander, Stokes.  Bullard, Cooper 2nd rounders.  D is stacked with talent.  Add in McKinney and Smith.  STACKED.  We'll see if Hafley can get the most out of these guys.  Think it will be a good year for the D.  Top 10

I'm excited to see all the speed in the middle of the field and excited to see if it comes together. Both the Walker/Cooper and McKinney/Bullard pairing are both potentially amazing pairs of everything works