Bo Nix or Michael Penix: Whose career will be better?

Nix vs Penix  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Nix or Penix

• Bo Nix
    • Michael Penix Jr.

Even though Bo Nix will play under Sean Payton, I like Penix Jr and think him learning from Cousins will accelerate him so that by next season he will be ready to hit the ground running.

I can see Cousins get cut or traded if the team feels Penix progresses and I think Cousins might welcome that for the opportunity to go to a place to be the true #1 starting option.

I like Penix a lot more as a prospect, but Nix does have the advantage of being able to play right away whereas Penix won't be able to get his career going until he's pushing 30 years old lol. 

Bo Nix is gonna bust harder than me balls deep behind a center on a mistimed snap count.

Penix can sit and learn for a year or two barring injuries and pull a jordan love esque career (oh no he'll be 27-28 when he starts) and......? Get your QB prospect when they're available. Win now mode baby, if Cousins gets injured or bombs out, PENIX PENIX PENIX.

falcons really shouldn't have drafted a left handed QB named michael though.....bad history.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Bo Nix is gonna bust harder than me balls deep behind a center on a mistimed snap count.

Penix can sit and learn for a year or two barring injuries and pull a jordan love esque career (oh no he'll be 27-28 when he starts) and......? Get your QB prospect when they're available. Win now mode baby, if Cousins gets injured or bombs out, PENIX PENIX PENIX.

falcons really shouldn't have drafted a left handed QB named michael though.....bad history.

Bro WHAT?!?

• Like 7

Quarterback     Pass Deep Mdim Prsr None | Adj. ADot BTTR TWPR Drop P2SR AT2T
                Rtng Grad Grad Rtng Rtng | Cmp%      Rate      Rate      Secs
                                         |                              
Michael Penix   90.5 93.5 90.9 65.3 92.2 | 74.5 10.7  7.3  2.0  5.5  7.6 2.68
Bo Nix          92.7 95.5 94.7 91.2 91.9 | 85.5  6.8  4.1  1.0  7.0  7.6 2.44

Bo should have a long career doing the easy things really, really well.  He won't be fantasy relevant, won't make any Pro Bowls, and won't take his team further or less far than his team takes him.

Penix will put up some serious numbers on scoreboards and in fantasy but when is he going to get the chance?  I have to assume he's here because the Falcons have little faith in Kirk's timely and full recovery.  Right now he's a handcuff in a slightly above average QB situation.  Career after Cousins?  Like Matt Ryan's, with all its ups and downs.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I like Penix a lot more as a prospect, but Nix does have the advantage of being able to play right away whereas Penix won't be able to get his career going until he's pushing 30 years old lol. 

lol yall need to get out of here with that 30 yr old stuff XD   He will be starting at 26 in 2 years and thats when cousins will be moved.  90% of Cousins gaurantees are all paid in the 1st 2 years.  He will be owed 10 mil guaranteed his 3rd year that can be spread over the last 2 years at 5 mil each.   That frees up like 45+ mil in cap space with Penix having 3 years left on his rookie contract of cheap QB cap space to work with. 

Now as for who i think will have a better career i actually think both of them will do well and thats because of where both of the landed.    As for which Qb i liked better i liked Penix a ton more as he was my #2 QB in the draft behind Daniels.   Nix i had as a late 2nd to early 3rd round player and my 6th QB in the draft.  But i did say if Nix lands in Denver with Sean he was the perfect QB for that system in this draft and he would do very well in it.   Since that happened i can't knock on Nix like i would have if he went anywhere else.

Edited by FalconFan13

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 10:33 PM, FalconFan13 said:

lol yall need to get out of here with that 30 yr old stuff XD   He will be starting at 26 in 2 years and thats when cousins will be moved.  90% of Cousins gaurantees are all paid in the 1st 2 years.  He will be owed 10 mil guaranteed his 3rd year that can be spread over the last 2 years at 5 mil each.   That frees up like 45+ mil in cap space with Penix having 3 years left on his rookie contract of cheap QB cap space to work with. 

Now as for who i think will have a better career i actually think both of them will do well and thats because of where both of the landed.    As for which Qb i liked better i liked Penix a ton more as he was my #2 QB in the draft behind Daniels.   Nix i had as a late 2nd to early 3rd round player and my 6th QB in the draft.  But i did say if Nix lands in Denver with Sean he was the perfect QB for that system in this draft and he would do very well in it.   Since that happened i can't knock on Nix like i would have if he went anywhere else.

We also need to calm down with assuming because Penix is sitting behind Cousins he is going to somehow be better whenever he starts.

That crap has only worked for Green Bay and there are 100 other fails of teams trying to copy it. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

We also need to calm down with assuming because Penix is sitting behind Cousins he is going to somehow be better whenever he starts.

That crap has only worked for Green Bay and there are 100 other fails of teams trying to copy it. 

Do you mean better than kirk or a better QB in general because he sit behind him.    I can't truthfully say he will be better than Kirk because kirk is a really good QB.  If Penix ends up being as good or better than him then imo thats a win for sure for the franchise.      If you are talking about Penix being better because he sit behind kirk for a year or 2 learning.  Then yes he will 100% be a better QB when he takes over than if he started year 1 with no one teaching him things.  He will have a better knowledge of the playbook, more reps in the preseason games and in practice in general, and a very smart QB teaching him how to read certain looks plus numerous of other things kirk can teach him.  

On 5/16/2024 at 10:33 PM, FalconFan13 said:

He will be owed 10 mil guaranteed his 3rd year that can be spread over the last 2 years at 5 mil each.   

$50M signing bonus/4 years = $12.5M per season. So cutting him halfway incurs a $25M hit, which can either be absorbed in 2026 or spread out by two in 2026 and 2027. Also has a $10M roster bonus for 2026 that guarantees on the 5th day of the league year in 2025. So that’s another 10.

It’s not crippling on it’s own, but it’s not pennies either. Not good business to plan to have $25M allocated for one player to play for another team.

On 5/16/2024 at 4:47 AM, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Which of these former Pac-12 QBs will have the better NFL career?

Penix. Nix was a 5th round talent way overdrafted. Penix was at least a first round talent who was taken in the right round.

I went Nix for two reasons 1) Penix has had 4 season ending injuries. 2) Nix has done more with less imo. Penix had 3 weapons go 9th, 37th, and 92. Nix top weapon went 102 overall. I just think Nix has a way higher floor.