TAPT Version 71.0 Kent Branstetter never votes for an incumbent

RIP Willie Mays. Crazy to think he and Mickey Mantle broke into the majors in the same year in the same city. Would have been great to be a fan then. Hit 660 home runs, had a lifetime batting average of over .300, and won 12 gold gloves. Maybe the best baseball player ever.  

I lived in Cape Canaveral for a decade or so during the Shuttle era. Shuttle launches at night with partial cloud cover were cool as hell.  The Falcons are cool, but nothing going up now can compare to the shuttles.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I lived in Cape Canaveral for a decade or so during the Shuttle era. Shuttle launches at night with partial cloud cover were cool as hell.  The Falcons are cool, but nothing going up now can compare to the shuttles.

grew up all over brevard myself man. lived in satellite, melbourne, rockledge, cocoa and cocoa beach over the years. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Hockey is 2nd best sport. No arguments.

I never played, but when the Badgers were good in the 80s I used to watch on a UHF channel and learned how to sense when the spacing, player and puck movement were leading to a shot on goal. It takes a different kind of concentration to watch it.

For me, baseball on the radio while driving or working is just behind football on the big screen. Very different experiences, though. Each sport, of all kinds, will have a rhythm that requires its own unique demands on your attention. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

I never played, but when the Badgers were good in the 80s I used to watch on a UHF channel and learned how to sense when the spacing, player and puck movement were leading to a shot on goal. It takes a different kind of concentration to watch it.

For me, baseball on the radio while driving or working is just behind football on the big screen. Very different experiences, though. Each sport, of all kinds, will have a rhythm that requires its own unique demands on your attention. 

Yeah, it's funny.  The pace of baseball makes for so/so television, but is perfect for listening.  I'll stream Brewers games and listen on my ear buds while doing other stuff around the house, but I rarely actually watch the games.

4 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

I never played either.  Can't skate at all. Too broke growing up. Hung out with the hockey kids in high school so started getting into watching it then.  If it's on in the background, you just listen for a breakaway or a PP, if it's a possession goal the replay is good enough if you don't want to continuously watch the whole game. Just don't think another sport can put out a game like last nights.

I suppose that's a decent way to keep the ears occupied for 3 hours when music just won't do it.. but they have podcasts now pops. Listen to Dan Carlin drone on instead, and then he'll hit a quote and it's like a home run.

11 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Dream Chaser will be going up soon. But will be inside the fairing!

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

On 6/18/2024 at 10:49 PM, Brat&Beer said:

RIP Willie Mays. Crazy to think he and Mickey Mantle broke into the majors in the same year in the same city. Would have been great to be a fan then. Hit 660 home runs, had a lifetime batting average of over .300, and won 12 gold gloves. Maybe the best baseball player ever.  

Willie Mays at 50 in that charity baseball game having better range than like 1/3 of CFs at the time was one of the most wildly impressive things I've ever seen. Dude was amazing.