Week 2: Colts at Packers - The Malik Willis Show

packfanfb

Lots of Jacobs, Wilson and maybe Lloyd.  Keep it short, nickel and dime passes from Willis.  More interested in a Game Manager game from Willis.  He needs to be smart when he's running. Don't need to see how tough he is by lowering his shoulder.  He can establish himself as a decent backup with a smart performance.  Don't need to light up the scoreboard just don't lose the game with mistakes. JMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Big week for LaFleur and Steno. Game plan will be everything. Good coaches come up with plans to fit what they have at QB. Doesn't mean it will prevail and win the game, but should be enough to compete. LaFleur is going to have to be better than he was back when he plugged Love in for Rodgers in the KC game with what looked like no plan whatsoever other than to drop back and get killed all night by KC's blitz. He has to be better. 

I'm sure the game plan will involve Willis running with the football and a lot of safe throws. Possibly a couple of shots because he's got a cannon for an arm.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Big week for LaFleur and Steno. Game plan will be everything. Good coaches come up with plans to fit what they have at QB. Doesn't mean it will prevail and win the game, but should be enough to compete. LaFleur is going to have to be better than he was back when he plugged Love in for Rodgers in the KC game with what looked like no plan whatsoever other than to drop back and get killed all night by KC's blitz. He has to be better. 

Equally big game if not bigger for Hafley. If GB is going to have a real defense they  need to prove they can be able to give the offense a chance to win, or flat out win the game.

• Like 3

I like stokes's matchup vs the indy speed merchants

I like Jaire's matchup OK vs Pittman

I think Indy will run the ball a lot and Taylor could definitely pop off.  He didn't have great production in week 1, but I could definitely see that type of back making it a long day for us.  Clark and Slaton and our ILBs will need to show up and take away that dimension.  

Richardson will throw some balls up which can be taken away, and he's a guy you have to maintain rush lane integrity against.  Very similar game plan to Hurts I'd say except Richardson also has a massive arm to uncork it deep late in the down.

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Yeah just was thinking the same thing.

Not really any game film on Willis, but you know the Colts are going to load the box, play tight man at the line and bring a number of overload blitzes on him.

No question they will try and dare us to have to throw the ball downfield.

If I'm LaFleur, I use run plays but not just the old conventional handoffs.  Jayden Reed and Josh Jacobs must get their hands on the ball whether it's the end around or reverse plays, or I'd even throw in a number of WR or RB pass plays just like Detroit did against us in that 2021 games.

Will all of those work?  Probably not all the time, but there's just no question Reed and Jacobs are our main offense drivers right now and must be given the ball to at all costs.

4 hours ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

Equally big game if not bigger for Hafley. If GB is going to have a real defense they  need to prove they can be able to give the offense a chance to win, or flat out win the game.

Yup time for this defense to separate itself from the mediocre Pettine and Barry defenses that stunk this place up the last several years.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I like stokes's matchup vs the indy speed merchants

I like Jaire's matchup OK vs Pittman

I think Indy will run the ball a lot and Taylor could definitely pop off.  He didn't have great production in week 1, but I could definitely see that type of back making it a long day for us.  Clark and Slaton and our ILBs will need to show up and take away that dimension.  

Richardson will throw some balls up which can be taken away, and he's a guy you have to maintain rush lane integrity against.  Very similar game plan to Hurts I'd say except Richardson also has a massive arm to uncork it deep late in the down.

JT saw Saquon go off vs this defense. He is versatile enough to hurt us from multiple spots. 

16 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I'm sure the game plan will involve Willis running with the football and a lot of safe throws. Possibly a couple of shots because he's got a cannon for an arm.

Man, I LOL'd at this hard!  Cuz it is what I'd do.

But that isn't how we have really handled these things before.  Or how I've seen other clubs handle it.

We are going to run our offense, the one that we installed and that everyone knows.  It is up to Willis to get up to speed quickly in that offense.

I do really hope that we put in a few wrinkles, just for him and his legs, but I just highly doubt it.  We will do what we has been installed and practiced.

Maybe, just maybe, though, Willis will turn and run it on a few plays.  I've always found it odd that Love doesn't scramble for first downs all that much at all.

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Man, I LOL'd at this hard!  Cuz it is what I'd do.

But that isn't how we have really handled these things before.  Or how I've seen other clubs handle it.

We are going to run our offense, the one that we installed and that everyone knows.  It is up to Willis to get up to speed quickly in that offense.

I do really hope that we put in a few wrinkles, just for him and his legs, but I just highly doubt it.  We will do what we has been installed and practiced.

Maybe, just maybe, though, Willis will turn and run it on a few plays.  I've always found it odd that Love doesn't scramble for first downs all that much at all.

LOL at the bold part. Justin Fields did not run the same offense Russell Wilson would have run in Pittsburgh. Justin Fields is a running back who takes snaps from center. He threw mostly save, short throws and ran the ball, FOURTEEN TIMES! 

You think Gardner Minshew ran the same offense when he replaced Anthony Richardson after he got hurt last year in INDY! LMFAO. 

MFL said he screwed up when he didn't change the gameplan for Love when he started in KC because Rodgers had a cold. He's not going to make the same mistake again.

Yes, coaches do adjust gameplans for different quarterbacks. No, Willis is not up to speed on the offense and shouldn't be expected to know everything in two weeks. 

In order for us to have success, we need to tailor this to his talents, not Jordan Love's. His skill set is very limited in several key areas. Biggest one is reading defenses.  Malik Willis needs a Justin Fields type of playbook this week.