Patriots to start Drake Maye

NYRaider

Any QB that has the mobility of molasses, is gonna make an O-line look like crap unless they have HOFers blocking for them.

Patriots are probably at worst 2-3 if not better, had they started Maye from the very beginning. 

Heck, the way that Division is unfolding? It's still up for grabs.

Bills - Allen is having issues

Jets - fired their coach.

Miami - No QB with Tua out

Unfortunately for the Patriots, they've dug themselves a 1-4 hole. It's probably gonna take Maye a few games, to get settled in, which could be too late for them.

It certainly took Caleb, Bo & even Jayden to get in a groove for the first couple games.

I guarantee you....

All of a sudden - the Patriots Offensive Line will miraculously look improved with Maye's mobility.

When your QB has the mobility of a center block, he has to become Tom Brady, or it gets ugly.

It certainly doesn't hurt that Maye also has better arm talent, than Jacoby Brissett, also.

This was a bad blunder by the coaching staff & it COULD cost New England a Playoff spot, when it's all said and done. ( By waiting this long)

We shall see...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Any QB that has the mobility of molasses, is gonna make an O-line look like crap unless they have HOFers blocking for them.

Patriots are probably at worst 2-3 if not better, had they started Maye from the very beginning. 

Heck, the way that Division is unfolding? It's still up for grabs.

Bills - Allen is having issues

Jets - fired their coach.

Miami - No QB with Tua out

Unfortunately for the Patriots, they've dug themselves a 1-4 hole. It's probably gonna take Maye a few games, to get settled in, which could be too late for them.

It certainly took Caleb, Bo & even Jayden to get in a groove for the first couple games.

I guarantee you....

All of a sudden - the Patriots Offensive Line will miraculously look improved with Maye's mobility.

When your QB has the mobility of a center block, he has to become Tom Brady, or it gets ugly.

It certainly doesn't hurt that Maye also has better arm talent, than Jacoby Brissett, also.

This was a bad blunder by the coaching staff & it COULD cost New England a Playoff spot, when it's all said and done. ( By waiting this long)

We shall see...

I dont see it as a blunder by the staff if Maye works out.  Sitting and watching someone else prepare can be huge for development.  Having to work for something and not be handed it even if not playing well can go a long way in the locker room.  Maybe he really has made strides the last few weeks in understanding and executing the playbook. If Maye works out long term, then I would say the staff made the right move if they didn't think he was ready at the time. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I dont see it as a blunder by the staff if Maye works out.  Sitting and watching someone else prepare can be huge for development.  Having to work for something and not be handed it even if not playing well can go a long way in the locker room.  Maybe he really has made strides the last few weeks in understanding and executing the playbook. If Maye works out long term, then I would say the staff made the right move if they didn't think he was ready at the time. 

I would agree 100% with this premise, if the Pats had a better QB starting for them while Maye learned from the sidelines.

But Jacoby Brissett was the backup to Sam Howell last season in Washington, who is now the backup behind Geno Smith in Seattle.

Granted - Ron Rivera and the idiot staff probably had that wrong, too. Lol

But I thought Maye actually looked better than Brissett during Pre Season.

But I do understand, not throwing a rookie in there if he's not ready & there are questions about the O-line.

Season is heating up. Getting interesting. 👍 

• Like 1

I think its a mix of both god speed young man and I think he will grab the bull by the horns. There may have been better times to insert him, but realistically what do they have to lose? They are a 1-4 football team that lost their last 4. If the kid can give them any spark, imo, its the right call.

Also, as others have said, Maye is far more athletic than Brissett and should be able to escape the pocket sometimes when it would have been a sack with Brissett.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

This is exactly why not starting your rookie QB right away is a good idea in theory, but not always the best idea in practice.

The Patriots OL is in god awful shape right now. Undoubtedly, part of the reason Maye didn't start week 1 was because it wasn't in a good shape to start the season, but it is even worse now. Your team is losing and the offense looks bad, so your coach is looking to save face with ownership, and ownership is probably hoping to inject some hope into the fanbase to keep them interested for the rest of the year. 

Exactly...