2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc you brought up elite QBs. But if you look at it. Our elite QBs in the nfl right now weren’t close to being top picks. Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, etc.

My point is that we don’t have to draft a QB at 6 to possibly get a franchise QB.

I don't disagree.   But that was not our discussion. 

You said you don't need an elite QB to win.  You said a team could win with and average to above average QB. 

I pointed to facts that contradict that assumption.  Whether we find an elite QB this year at 6 or higher or down the line in the later rounds does not matter .. the point is we know Cousins is not elite so paying him a boatload might not be the best strategy.  Let's find one in the draft and this year seems to have guys to take a shot on. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc you brought up elite QBs. But if you look at it. Our elite QBs in the nfl right now weren’t close to being top picks. Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, etc.

My point is that we don’t have to draft a QB at 6 to possibly get a franchise QB.

The odds of finding a franchise QB is much higher in the 1st though. 

10 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

I don't disagree.   But that was not our discussion. 

You said you don't need an elite QB to win.  You said a team could win with and average to above average QB. 

I pointed to facts that contradict that assumption.  Whether we find an elite QB this year at 6 or higher or down the line in the later rounds does not matter .. the point is we know Cousins is not elite so paying him a boatload might not be the best strategy.  Let's find one in the draft and this year seems to have guys to take a shot on. 

I disagree. I think Cousins is very talented and based on where he lands, scheme and weapons he can be elite. We go out and get AR15, Richburg and a RB and I think you’ll see him be very successful here.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I disagree. I think Cousins is very talented and based on where he lands, scheme and weapons he can be elite. We go out and get AR15, Richburg and a RB and I think you’ll see him be very successful here.

I don't see him as a QB that can be consistent enough to get to and win the SB.  He has some nice moments and is a top 10-12 QB for sure though.  If he comes here I will happily root to be proven wrong.  lol

Just going back to the topic of being drafted in the 1st vs. the later rounds, here's a good read: https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/6/28/15880748/success-rates-of-drafted-quarterbacks There's some flaws in the arguments, but it at least shows a consistent trend.

17 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm supposed to be screenwriting and I keep coming back to this page to see if any news is breaking. Jets won't let me be productive. 

It's not the Jets fault, because they certainly haven't actually DONE anything that would distract you.

10 hours ago, Bianconero said:

Sorry, I genuinely forgot

This is the guy that you referenced earlier in the off-season?

If so, CRAP regarding Kirk

Yeah the last time I talked to him was late December.

Id honestly not care that much if we could get Cousins without destroying the cap but at this point it’s looking like we need to trade up. Cousins is MIN bound apparently  and I just want a rookie that we could build around. I feel pretty comfortable drafting Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. All three I think have the ability to be top 10 QBs in a decent situation so we will see. But I’d take Cousins for Jimmy G money given the market right now. Not thrilled but it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, rampantjet said:

It's not the Jets fault, because they certainly haven't actually DONE anything that would distract you.

That's the problem. I keep checking to see if they are. If they did do something, my mind would be at ease. lol

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm supposed to be screenwriting and I keep coming back to this page to see if any news is breaking. Jets won't let me be productive. 

I think we are all doing the same thing, checking to see if there is any breaking news. I keep checking all the football sites for breaking news.

Archived