2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

15 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Honest Yes/NO

Do you trust Macc to evaluate and draft the correct QB?

No. I look at the 2015 class and Leo is our only contributor.

2016 class Lee hasn’t shown his worth where He chose him and Jenkins and Shell have been contributors but nothing exciting.

2017 both Safeties look to be solid picks. After that there’s a lot of unknown.

It takes several years to judge a class. And his 1st draft looks like a fail so far in all honesty.

At QB he’s fallen shy. We hear good things post draft like how he wanted to trade up for Wentz and Watson. But fact is he didn’t. That being said I don’t think any of these QBs are worth giving up valuable picks to move up for. Stay out draft who falls to us at 6 and nab a great RB at 37.

29 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Honest Yes/NO

Not sure I do but I’d still rather it be someone our staff is sold on rather than whoever comes to us is fine 

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely. But this isn’t the 70s. The NFL is a different game now. My point is merely that you can win in this league with average/above average QB play. You don’t need a Brady, Rodgers, Brees to win. There’s multiple ways of doing it.

Over the past 25 years the Super Bowl winning team 21 out of those 25 had a HOF QB.  The facts seem to counter your assumption here.  You can win GAMES with an average QB but not championships to any consistent level.  How are you coming to this assumption when the fact speak to a different story.....

2 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Over the past 25 years the Super Bowl winning team 21 out of those 25 had a HOF QB.  The facts seem to counter your assumption here.  You can win GAMES with an average QB but not championships to any consistent level.  How are you coming to this assumption when the fact speak to a different story.....

Exactly.  To win a championship without a high end QB you need so much more.  It is very unlikely.  You need the best defense, and in general tons of help on O.  The only other way is that your average QB goes on a flat out random tear that happens to coincide with the playoffs... ie Flacco.  But that is not something to bet on.

5 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Exactly.  To win a championship without a high end QB you need so much more.  It is very unlikely.  You need the best defense, and in general tons of help on O.  The only other way is that your average QB goes on a flat out random tear that happens to coincide with the playoffs... ie Flacco.  But that is not something to bet on.

Agreed.  And that is why I am all for drafting one of these guys.  We know Cousins is an above average QB but I am not sold that he is good enough to be called elite.  I think think out of this class there can be 2 elite ...

1 hour ago, JetsFan15 said:

Agreed.  And that is why I am all for drafting one of these guys.  We know Cousins is an above average QB but I am not sold that he is good enough to be called elite.  I think think out of this class there can be 2 elite ...

I get your point. But my point is merely that I don’t think any of these draft eligible QBs scream franchise HOF QB. Also you complete leave out where those HOF QBs were drafted. They weren’t all top 6 picks now were they?

I'm rooting for the Browns to take Barkley at #1 and a QB at #4. So if we trade up to #2 or #3, we can still come away with our QB. 

My gut is telling me we're going to add Powell to the trade up to the Giants or Colts. 

3 hours ago, Bianconero said:

Honest Yes/NO

NO

Side note: Even if we do draft the correct qb (as in the best one) I have NO faith in Todd Bowles either. That’s why it’s Cousins or bust for me. 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

No. I look at the 2015 class and Leo is our only contributor.

2016 class Lee hasn’t shown his worth where He chose him and Jenkins and Shell have been contributors but nothing exciting.

2017 both Safeties look to be solid picks. After that there’s a lot of unknown.

It takes several years to judge a class. And his 1st draft looks like a fail so far in all honesty.

At QB he’s fallen shy. We hear good things post draft like how he wanted to trade up for Wentz and Watson. But fact is he didn’t. That being said I don’t think any of these QBs are worth giving up valuable picks to move up for. Stay out draft who falls to us at 6 and nab a great RB at 37.

I hate to say it again, but how much of our drafting problems is our scouting Dept. ?  The draft is very tricky some of the players we drafted over the years like Dee Milliner   were products of the Alabama system. This has been going on with the Jets even before Mac. Our defensive end WILLIAMS was the six overall pick in the draft, and  is a great run stopper but not much of a pass rusher. How many outside of the Jets said that Williams was the best player in the draft. With all the high first round pick we have had over the last decade or so Revis is the only big time star we draft. Last years first round pick Adams has the potential to be a super star, even though he was out played  by Maye who was a great surprise. Maybe this year will be different with the first four picks we have in the draft. 

Not sure if I have a reason not to trust Macc in this situation. A 2nd round bust isn't enough for me to assume he can't. We have the pieces to trade up and pick the best QB on the board if he need to. We'll see. I feel pretty good but that because I like Jackson, Rosen, Baker, and Darnold's potential. Draft one of them and add someone like TB, I think we'll be good. 

Bowles got good years out of 2 clearance sale QBs with two different OC's . His biggest mistake was year 2 when he didn't bench Fitz sooner and didn't play Hack(maybe). If McCown stayed healthy & ASJ didn't get cheated, this might have been a 7 win season. So I think he can do well with some of the better options out there. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I get your point. But my point is merely that I don’t think any of these draft eligible QBs scream franchise HOF QB. Also you complete leave out where those HOF QBs were drafted. They weren’t all top 6 picks now were they?

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make about where the QBs were drafted?  Don't see how that fits in the discussion.

1 minute ago, JetsFan15 said:

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make about where the QBs were drafted?  Don't see how that fits in the discussion.

Bc you brought up elite QBs. But if you look at it. Our elite QBs in the nfl right now weren’t close to being top picks. Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, etc.

My point is that we don’t have to draft a QB at 6 to possibly get a franchise QB.

Archived