2018 GB Packer free agents

squire12

On 1/29/2018 at 9:30 AM, ArthurPensky said:

Someone I haven't seen a lot of talk about, Justin McCray. He's a ERFA in 2018... his play was pretty solid and versatile.

I wasn't joking when I had him as my 3rd most important re-sign.  I am always a fan of the cheap, young, versatile players.  Ideally we would find the next TJ Lang or Josh Sitton somewhere in the 4th or 5th round this season, and keep McCray as OL #6.  The guy got thrown in there and he battled.  We didn't lose games because of McCray.

17 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I wasn't joking when I had him as my 3rd most important re-sign.  I am always a fan of the cheap, young, versatile players.  Ideally we would find the next TJ Lang or Josh Sitton somewhere in the 4th or 5th round this season, and keep McCray as OL #6.  The guy got thrown in there and he battled.  We didn't lose games because of McCray.

Very true.  He played just about every OL position except center

17 minutes ago, moretti19 said:

Is anyone else seeing social media claiming that Sam Shields is making a comeback? I have mixed feelings on this, obviously we all want him back in his prime, but he has a family and has shown he is a concussion waiting to happen. 

I remember seeing Nick Collins and Jermichael Finley were coming back as well ... yeah .. never happened.  Shields might be trying to keep his name out there, but I can't imagine the Packers would have him return.  Maybe some other team will give him a look.

1 hour ago, moretti19 said:

Is anyone else seeing social media claiming that Sam Shields is making a comeback? I have mixed feelings on this, obviously we all want him back in his prime, but he has a family and has shown he is a concussion waiting to happen. 

Burnett had posted something about that. It seems like it'd be a mistake, but ultimately it will be up to one of the 32 clubs in the NFL to decide if they want to risk it.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I remember seeing Nick Collins and Jermichael Finley were coming back as well ... yeah .. never happened.  Shields might be trying to keep his name out there, but I can't imagine the Packers would have him return.  Maybe some other team will give him a look.

I agree, as much as we would like to have him back I just can't see him returning to the league. I hope he doesn't, those concussions he sustained in the NFL will have a lasting impact. I would hate to see him come back and get another one.

On 1/30/2018 at 3:26 PM, DavidatMIZZOU said:

In my vision he would be OL7, but we need to keep him for sure. He is the new Don Barclay but he isn't bad

2 hours ago, Haha21 said:

I agree, as much as we would like to have him back I just can't see him returning to the league. I hope he doesn't, those concussions he sustained in the NFL will have a lasting impact. I would hate to see him come back and get another one.

I agree here, it is not the first time we have seen players who haven’t wanted to call it a career after an injury and I don’t blame them for wanting to come back but I am of belief that given the full well of resources sports doctors are given, these decisions were not made lightly by them and options were not overlooked.

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

Soo......yeah....why can't McCray be a viable option at either Guard position of possible Right Tackle of Spriggs or Murphy do not work out there?

Because he's not that good. If he's the best guy you can put in at OT and everyone is healthy, you've failed at talent acquisition.

On 2/1/2018 at 3:18 PM, Joe said:

Soo......yeah....why can't McCray be a viable option at either Guard position of possible Right Tackle of Spriggs or Murphy do not work out there?

Think of him like Don Barclay.  You liked having him because he can get you out of a game, or make a couple of spot starts and (hopefully) not murder your chances just by being in there.  Probably not good enough right now to be a preferred starter.

On 2/1/2018 at 1:32 PM, JBURGE25 said:

In my vision he would be OL7, but we need to keep him for sure. He is the new Don Barclay but he isn't bad

All guys being healthy, he might be #7.  Of course, that depends on who plays center in an emergency.  But McCray might be on the active 45 over Murphy if everyone is healthy.

52 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Think of him like Don Barclay.  You liked having him because he can get you out of a game, or make a couple of spot starts and (hopefully) not murder your chances just by being in there.  Probably not good enough right now to be a preferred starter.

All guys being healthy, he might be #7.  Of course, that depends on who plays center in an emergency.  But McCray might be on the active 45 over Murphy if everyone is healthy. 

Bakh, Taylor, linsley, Evans?, bulaga. 

Spriggs, Murphy, McCray rounding out the top 8. With McCray play it would be hard to see amichia break that. Maybe he makes the team over Patrick 

On 2/1/2018 at 3:36 PM, HighCalebR said:

Because he's not that good. If he's the best guy you can put in at OT and everyone is healthy, you've failed at talent acquisition.

He's still a developing player. I'd put him at RG and have the best value RG in the league for a few years. He's definitely an NFL caliber athlete, which is why Barclay is bad, and McCray isn't. McCray is 25 with two years NFL experience. He started 8 games last year after playing the previous season in the AFL, and was pretty good; very good if you take into account the CRAP positions we put him in. 

8 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

He's still a developing player. I'd put him at RG and have the best value RG in the league for a few years. He's definitely an NFL caliber athlete, which is why Barclay is bad, and McCray isn't. McCray is 25 with two years NFL experience. He started 8 games last year after playing the previous season in the AFL, and was pretty good; very good if you take into account the CRAP positions we put him in. 

At tackle he's not a + athlete, which is what I said. If you put him in at guard right now you're going to have a couple free blitzer's a game unless he picks up the mental side of OL play. I'm not saying he's not worthy of a roster spot, but he's not an above average starter right now either.

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

At tackle he's not a + athlete, which is what I said. If you put him in at guard right now you're going to have a couple free blitzer's a game unless he picks up the mental side of OL play. I'm not saying he's not worthy of a roster spot, but he's not an above average starter right now either.

I think I’d rather have McCray at the league minimum over Evans for 3 Mil.

Archived