The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

118-110 Canelo is a damn joke. I had GGG by 4 rounds. 

For real tho, as a Mexican American boxing fan, we need to stop with these fights on Mexican holidays. Canelo already got one judge to give him a draw in the Mayweather fight where he probably won 1 round AT BEST.

Just now, RaiderX said:

118-110 Canelo is a damn joke. I had GGG by 4 rounds. 

For real tho, as a Mexican American boxing fan, we need to stop with these fights on Mexican holidays. Canelo already got one judge to give him a draw in the Mayweather fight where he probably won 1 round AT BEST.

The judging is a disaster, random drunk dudes at the bar score fights more accurately

The 118-110 card was brutal, but the result wasn't bad at all. Canelo to me took the last three rounds and that made it really close. The mental pressure really got to him in the middle rounds, but he showed some championship heart late in the fight. GGG's jab was on point but he missed a lot of shots. Canelo landed the bigger shots in a lot of the close rounds. 

I scored it 115-113 for GGG, and I felt that was a bit generous. The 118-110 card made no sense. If it were 115-113 Canelo, it could be believable. There were some close rounds. And if you didn't give much credit to GGG's jab, I could see you giving Canelo the win. Ultimately, it's good for boxing to have a rematch. It's good for GGG to get paid big money again, but that judge has some explaining to do.

That was a great fight, though. Definitely worth the watch.

Edited by jrry32

54 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

The judging is a disaster, random drunk dudes at the bar score fights more accurately

The judging is an issue, but the second part of the statement isn't true. Fans, especially casualish fans, always favor the aggressor. IMO, judges tend to lean more towards the counter-punchers.

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The 118-110 card was brutal, but the result wasn't bad at all. Canelo to me took the last three rounds and that made it really close. The mental pressure really got to him in the middle rounds, but he showed some championship heart late in the fight. GGG's jab was on point but he missed a lot of shots. Canelo landed the bigger shots in a lot of the close rounds. 

Agreed. GGG's jab is so effective. Canelo definitely was the more effective power puncher. I could see you giving it to Canelo if you didn't want to give GGG a lot of points for his jab. However, my struggle in giving it to Canelo is the way GGG controlled the middle rounds. I could see it if the judges called the first four rounds 3-1 Canelo, the middle rounds 5-0 GGG, and the final rounds 3-0 Canelo. That would be believable for me. It was a close fight. 

Yeah, that's how you could get it to a draw. Round 5 was close which could have gone to Canelo. I felt GGG even though he was jabbing great was letting Canelo off the hook when he was on the ropes. He let Canelo get off some flashy combo's that probably stole him a few rounds. 

Good fight though. Really good fight. Rematch in May sounds about right. 

GGG missed a lot of shots because he the aggressor. That tends to happen. But it's not like GGG wasn't connecting on some of the punches. He was. I get it with Mayweather because he doesn't get hit really. But Canelo definitely got hit. And I feel that Canelo was connecting in spurts.

118-110 is horrible though.