The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

Wow. Just watched the fight. I knew the result and the scores but not what rounds the judges scored what. I had 115-113 GGG in the same scorecard as Moretti. I can understand a draw scorecard though I felt taking the fight as a whole I feel I even underscored GGG. And I actually felt that round 5 I think it was, was the middle round I felt was closest so I'm not sure why the guy with the draw scored Canelo winner in 7.

Byrd's scorecard is obviously a joke. And I don't even understand the point of it. I can't imagine she actually thinks that is accurate and if it was bought why make it so far off? Points aren't added. Make it 115-113 and people might complain a bit but it wouldn't turn in to this.

3 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Golovkin will be 36.

Surely a fight can be done sooner? 

If they make it Cinco de Mayo, GGG will know he has to KO Canelo. 

Yea they really need to change that scheduling. I mean the Mexican fans were booing Canelo after the fight. He may not be Byrd, but him saying he won 8 rounds is also ridiculous.

Saw no slowing down from Golovkin tho. Ate everything Canelo could throw. GGG could probably have cut down the ring better and done more bodywork while Canelo was on the ropes.

4 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Golovkin will be 36.

Surely a fight can be done sooner? 

If they make it Cinco de Mayo, GGG will know he has to KO Canelo. 

Canelo only fights on those two months. Not unlike DLH and Mayweather when they were the cash cows. GGG could get a fight in between if he wants to stay active. No reason why he can't fight BJS in December or January. 

It really is unfortunate Byrd's score was so bad as it takes away from how competitive and good the fight really was. 

@Kip Smithers, no doubt Canelo got hit quite a bit. GGG couldn't miss with the jab. However, he was missing most of his power shots in those close rounds, especially when Canelo was on the ropes. That's why the rounds became as close as they did. Canelo would land the cleaner and flashy shots.

I've seen a lot of people score it draw or GGG by two. If you have GGG by two, then surely a draw is not out of the question. 

38 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I've seen a lot of people score it draw or GGG by two. If you have GGG by two, then surely a draw is not out of the question. 

I rewatched the middle rounds to see where I could give Canelo a round. I still don't see it. Scratch what else I said. This was GGGs fight. 

49 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I had 2nd and 10th to GGG. 

2nd to me was CLEAR Canelo. GGG had a case for the 1st though. He landed more, but I felt Canelo landed the bigger shots. 

Oh well, let GGG become the undisputed MW champ by beating BJS later this year and go from there. 

4 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Sorry I miss typed I had 2 and 10 to Canelo. 1,3 & 11 I had to GGG. 

That's still hard for me to believe. 1 and 11 are debatable enough. But Canelo clearly won 3. Watching it, I had it:

Canelo - 2, 3, 10, 11, and 12

GGG - 1, 4-9

But 1 was a toss-up for me. I gave it to GGG because Canelo didn't do much of anything for the first 30 seconds to 1 minute of the fight.

Edited by jrry32

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's still hard for me to believe. 1 and 11 are debatable enough. But Canelo clearly won 3. Watching it, I had it:

Canelo - 2, 3, 10, 11, and 12

GGG - 1, 4-9

But 1 was a toss-up for me. I gave it to GGG because Canelo didn't do much of anything for the first 30 seconds to 1 minute of the fight.

Hmm, I'll re-watch tomorrow on my commute. I think I'm still a little incensed.