Davante Adams signed extension with Packers

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Really, really wanted him to hit free agency so that the 49ers could make a run at him. Stupid Packers. I would assume that Jordy or Cobb has to hit the market, though neither excites me moving forward.

Packers weren't going to let him hit free agency. Never even got my hopes up. Allen Robinson too. I'm guessing he could be tagged.

Sincere question to Packer fans. Did Adams step up his game a lot the past year or so? I feel like it was not too long ago that I remember Packer fans being frustrated with his development. But I'll also concede that I've seen almost no Packer football this year. I think just the Seattle and Dallas games.

10 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Sincere question to Packer fans. Did Adams step up his game a lot the past year or so? I feel like it was not too long ago that I remember Packer fans being frustrated with his development. But I'll also concede that I've seen almost no Packer football this year. I think just the Seattle and Dallas games.

Absolutely.  Most of your memory comes from the frustration from his sophomore year when he dealt with a nagging ankle injury, and the calls to release Adams were rampant.  He came back with a strong junior year, and he's been a very good player.  Is he a bonafide #1 WR?  No, but he's damn good #2.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Absolutely.  Most of your memory comes from the frustration from his sophomore year when he dealt with a nagging ankle injury, and the calls to release Adams were rampant.  He came back with a strong junior year, and he's been a very good player.  Is he a bonafide #1 WR?  No, but he's damn good #2.

So safe to say he's earned himself an extension, but it may be a bit rich for what he is right now?

13 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

So safe to say he's earned himself an extension, but it may be a bit rich for what he is right now?

Absolutely earned the extension.  Very possible his play without Rodgers at QB drove the price up.

Once the next wave of WR get their next deals, this Adams contract will look less pricey.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Based on what he's produced right now?  Probably.  Based on how he's actually played and projecting forward?  Not really.  It's going to look like an overpay given that he hasn't eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark.  He finished the 2016 season 3 yards short of that mark.  This year, with Brett Hundley as his starting QB for a large chunk of his season he was nearly as productive on a per game basis as he was the previous year before.  He was actually more productive later in the year than he was early in the year ironically.

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Alshon got 4 years $52M, $27M guaranteed. I'd say this is just the going rate for that 2nd tier of WRs below the top guys (AB, Julio, Green, Hopkins, OBJ, Evans). I expect Cooks, Watkins, Landry and Robinson to all get paid in that $12-15M/year range as well.

I know stats aren't everything, but some team would be incredibly foolish to give that kind of money to Sammy given his production this year.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Based on what he's produced right now?  Probably.  Based on how he's actually played and projecting forward?  Not really.  It's going to look like an overpay given that he hasn't eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark.  He finished the 2016 season 3 yards short of that mark.  This year, with Brett Hundley as his starting QB for a large chunk of his season he was nearly as productive on a per game basis as he was the previous year before.  He was actually more productive later in the year than he was early in the year ironically.

Fair. So it's a projection based contract. A bit of risk but can pay off, I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Fair. So it's a projection based contract. A bit of risk but can pay off, I suppose.

Part of it on top of all that is they really don't have much in Cobb left, and Nelson is about to the end.

If you lose all 3 this year you are playing with very little.

You had to find a way to secure Adams.

On top of that he is pretty damn good and is only getting better.

22 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Not really.  You pay based off of market value.  The most recent WR to sign a new deal was Alshon Jeffery, and Davante Adams has outproduced Jeffrey despite having a worse QB situation.  I might even make the argument that Adams is underpaid based on the extension that Jeffery just signed.

Archived