Davante Adams signed extension with Packers

49erurtaza

Just now, Jakuvious said:

The franchise tag isn't representative of average salary, though. It's the top 5. That jumps in large leaps because every time someone close to being the best at their position comes up, they demand the #1 contract and it raises all of the top 5 positions effectively (the prior #5 is now #6 and not effecting it, #4 is #5, etc.) If OBJ gets a deal $2M per year higher than Brown, which wouldn't be unlikely, it actually jumps the franchise tag up a full $1M. The franchise tag going up that much can be caused by just a couple top 5 contracts, it doesn't mean all salaries are going up a few million dollars. That would break the cap quickly. That difference between '15 and '17 is basically just Brown and Hopkins. Other franchise tags jumped substantially less in that time because less guys jumped to the top of the board.

This all just means that between 2015 and 2017, elite guys got eliter money. That doesn't translate to mid-tier free agent WRs getting $7M more per year.

It also should be noted that the inflation is more notable at the top as well. The tag difference there is 22% over two years. In line with the 10-15% per year that I mentioned before anyways. That still doesn't lead to guys like Sammy Watkins and Kelvin Benjamin sky rocketing to $15M per year. If we take them to be the near future equivalents in value of what Kenny Stills or Terrelle Pryor were last year, they should be moving up to $9M or $11M per year contracts in the next year or two. NOT $15M per year. More than they would've a year or two ago, yes. But not more than Davante Adams just got (or what Jeffery got before.)

It's illustrating the point that's trying to be made.  Every year, players are trying to achieve higher salaries than the players who came before them.  That's how inflation works in the NFL.  Are Mike Evans or OBJ going to settle for $14M/year?  No, they're going to want to far surpass what Davante Adams and Alshon Jeffrey got.  Every year, it's going to go up and that's because we've got a salary cap that is constantly increasing.  The franchise tag number is just a representation of how that contracts are going up.  Right now, Davante Adams has the 4th highest AAV because he's signed a contract AFTER the other players.  How much money would Julio Jones make if he were to be a FA this offseason?  How about Demariyous Thomas?  That's the point being made.  Yes, his contract seems exceptionally high.  In a year or two, it's going to drop because the market will continue to go up.

2 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

There have been 47 receivers with over a thousand yards in a season since Adams was drafted. Adams isn't  one of them even with Rodgers at QB, and he's getting top five money as a former third round pick. Me thinks old Ted is getting senile.

Me thinks you haven't watched a Packers game, and it's showing.

13 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

There have been 47 receivers with over a thousand yards in a season since Adams was drafted. Adams isn't  one of them even with Rodgers at QB, and he's getting top five money as a former third round pick. Me thinks old Ted is getting senile.

It's actually impressive how bad this post is.

Maybe we should've given up on Adams and given up our 1st round pick for a WR who can barely get 1000 yards with Tom Brady.

43 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's illustrating the point that's trying to be made.  Every year, players are trying to achieve higher salaries than the players who came before them.  That's how inflation works in the NFL.  Are Mike Evans or OBJ going to settle for $14M/year?  No, they're going to want to far surpass what Davante Adams and Alshon Jeffrey got.  Every year, it's going to go up and that's because we've got a salary cap that is constantly increasing.  The franchise tag number is just a representation of how that contracts are going up.  Right now, Davante Adams has the 4th highest AAV because he's signed a contract AFTER the other players.  How much money would Julio Jones make if he were to be a FA this offseason?  How about Demariyous Thomas?  That's the point being made.  Yes, his contract seems exceptionally high.  In a year or two, it's going to drop because the market will continue to go up.

Someone literally said Adams will be 8th to 15th and Watkins/Benjamin/Funchess will be making more than him. I'm not arguing that inflation doesn't happen. I'm not arguing that greats like Evans and OBJ won't pass him, or that no one will pass him and drop him lower than 4th. I'm arguing that mid tier free agents are not going to be making $15M plus per year and that we're not going to see 15 guys making this kind of money by next offseason. Because that is literally what was said. That is what I'm arguing against. That specifically. Not the general notion that market value inflates over time. I've already acknowledged that ad true.

NFL inflation is crazy. Next season the Lions have Golden Tate and Marvin Jones under contract for just 3 million more than the 14.5M yearly average Davante will get on his own.

Adams is good, much better chance of living up to this contract than say, Randall Cobb at 10 million a year.

18 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

About the same as Jeffrey and he's better than Jeffrey. Expect one or both our other WRs to be cut.

I don't think either Jordy or Cobb are cut unless we sign a FA WR or find a gem in the draft.  After our top 3 the rest are JAGs.

14 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Sincere question to Packer fans. Did Adams step up his game a lot the past year or so? I feel like it was not too long ago that I remember Packer fans being frustrated with his development. But I'll also concede that I've seen almost no Packer football this year. I think just the Seattle and Dallas games.

Absolutely.  His play in his sophomore season was very disappointing but he has really got it together now.  

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Absolutely.  Most of your memory comes from the frustration from his sophomore year when he dealt with a nagging ankle injury, and the calls to release Adams were rampant.  He came back with a strong junior year, and he's been a very good player.  Is he a bonafide #1 WR?  No, but he's damn good #2.

GMTA  xD

When it's time for that stacked 2014 class to all sign their extensions or test the waters, which we'll see over the next year, there will only be a limited number of teams willing to pay that kind of money to a WR so by default we won't see all those guys (Cooks, Watkins, Benjamin, Robinson, etc.) get comparable paydays to Adams, but I am pretty confident most will, and based on their production for some it will definitely come across as a ridiculous overpay... but #1 WRs who can win battles on the outside are always a commodity, and even the guys who have underwhelmed statistically, like Watkins and Benjamin as of late, have had flashes of top level play which might be enough for some teams to buy in. 

11 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

The draft part is out of place, but the rest of this post is very true.

We're talking about a lot of money for a player who despite being good is not THAT good.

29 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

No chance they cut Jordy

That’s my feeling. Jordy is Rodgers guy. Jordy is also a very very humble dude and it would not surprise me one bit to see him take a straight pay cut to stay in GB with Rodgers. 

Cobb on the other hand, comes off has thinking very highly of himself and would probably be less likely to take a pay cut. Even still, Cobb, Jordy and Rodgers are all close so who knows. 

Archived