2018 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Dr LBC

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

While 12 teams prepare for playoff runs, almost the rest of the league try to talk themselves into hiring certain coaches like they know what the results will be. 

What I find hilarious is that we say “just because you’re a good coordinator, doesn’t mean you will be a good HC” yet people still fall for that mistake and are still calling for this and that guy to be hired. 

Yeah but here's the thing. Bill Belichick was once viewed as a great defensive coordinator who underwhelmed as head coach and was the worst longterm headcoach in Cleveland Browns history when he left. A lot of it is situational.

Honestly I'd rather try out a coordinator and see if he knows what he's doing than try one failure somewhere else. 

Hell I'm pretty sure Landry had a losing record after his first 6 years with the Cowboys before he set the record for 20 consecutive winning seasons.

24 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Yeah but here's the thing. Bill Belichick was once viewed as a great defensive coordinator who underwhelmed as head coach and was the worst longterm headcoach in Cleveland Browns history when he left. A lot of it is situational.

Honestly I'd rather try out a coordinator and see if he knows what he's doing than try one failure somewhere else. 

Hell I'm pretty sure Landry had a losing record after his first 6 years with the Cowboys before he set the record for 20 consecutive winning seasons.

See that’s the thing though, we don’t know! We don’t know who will be successful and who won’t yet we still think we are comfortable in deciphering who should be the next HC. I don’t get it. Particularly when we think we know what the job entails. 

I just think the way people do this HC thing is weird. For GMs it’s much worse.

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

See that’s the thing though, we don’t know! We don’t know who will be successful and who won’t yet we still think we are comfortable in deciphering who should be the next HC. I don’t get it. 

I just think the way people do this HC thing is weird. For GMs it’s much worse.

We are in a league where only Belichick, Tomlin,  McCarthy, and Carroll are the only consistently high performing head coaches. And a lot of people crap on McCarthy and Tomlin. Nobody knows what makes a good head coach

2 hours ago, PFM18 said:

Sounds like Marvin may possibly be staying in Cincy. Doesn't appear like Mike Brown is in a rush to get rid of him (surprising I know) and Marv feels he might still something with the Bengals. 

Staying in Ohio how does a head coach lead a team to an 0-16 season and stay in the  role?  Seems clear that a change is needed in Cleveland and you can't help but worry for the QB who ends up being drafted Number 1. 

Marvin might stick around for another year, seeing how the three most likely candidates to replace him (without a total coaching staff purge) are still employed in Hue jackson, Vance Joseph and Jay Gruden.

Mike Brown loves familiarity

30 minutes ago, Sugashane said:
32 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

would be a shame to lose him, but at least I can stomach it more if it’s for a HC gig

YES YES YES YES YES!!!

Gonna miss him if he leaves the Eagles, but I've been expecting this. He was touted as one of the young rising offensive minds when we got him after his stint with the Browns where he did well considering what he had to work with. I think his time in Philly has made him more ready for the jump to HC. Pederson was a good example to follow. He bred a great atmosphere around the team. DeFilippo like Pederson also seems like a players type of coach, so I have no doubt wherever he goes the team will love playing for him. 

My preference is that he goes to the Bears to work with Trubisky, but wherever he goes I'll be rooting for him.

Here is a great article for Cardinals and Bears fans on your possible future head coach:

John DeFilippo: Next in Line

7 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Gonna miss him if he leaves the Eagles, but I've been expecting this. He was touted as one of the young rising offensive minds when we got him after his stint with the Browns where he did well considering what he had to work with. I think his time in Philly has made him more ready for the jump to HC. Pederson was a good example to follow. He bred a great atmosphere around the team. DeFilippo like Pederson also seems like a players type of coach, so I have no doubt wherever he goes the team will love playing for him. 

My preference is that he goes to the Bears to work with Trubisky, but wherever he goes I'll be rooting for him.

Here is a great article for Cardinals and Bears fans on your possible future head coach:

John DeFilippo: Next in Line

Agree on all points. I have read that, and youtube has some videos with Flip breaking down film too that was fantastic on the Eagles' channel (they have some really good content).

I've been a fan of his for a while, LOVED the pairing of him and Wentz, who was my top QB last year. Been my top choice most of the year. Had me rooting for the Eagles all year.

Just now, Sugashane said:

Agree on all points. I have read that, and youtube has some videos with Flip breaking down film too that was fantastic on the Eagles' channel.

I've been a fan of his for a while, LOVED the pairing of him and Wentz, who was my top QB last year. Been my top choice most of the year. Had me rooting for the Eagles all year.

Glad to hear you are a fan. I wasn't sure if it was you who asked about him in the Eagles forum, but I guess it was @G08. Just goes to show you guys have been on top of your coaching options since you were looking at a guy who wasn't really a big name. Kudos to y'all.

And, yeah man....... I'm gonna miss those videos from the Eagles website with him breaking down plays.

I'll definitely be watching more Bears if he gets the job.

Chicago isn't a team where he can just come in and have Sean McVay type success, but its still a pretty good job since I think Trubisky can develop into a pretty good QB.

Archived