The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

Just now, riceman80 said:

Gruden's old Raider offense was light years better and more complex than our offenses the last 2 years for what it's worth.

Maybe i see it differently but when he talks about the 1998 offense, i dont see it as he'll install the exact same offense as much as using the same concepts i.e. bunch of different formations, diverse personnel packages, pre-snap motion, hurry-up offense, freedom for the qb at the line, etc...all stuff we didnt do last year.

Im not worried tho, every coach has their own way of doing things.

oh, i agree. we know Gruden has kept up with the game, and his playbook has evolved even during his time in the booth. he's a tape addict. 

i'm not concerned that he's going to run a bed and breakfast offense... i just dont like the "get off my lawn" approach

1 minute ago, riceman80 said:

Gruden's old Raider offense was light years better and more complex than our offenses the last 2 years for what it's worth.

Maybe i see it differently but when he talks about the 1998 offense, i dont see it as he'll install the exact same offense as much as using the same concepts i.e. bunch of different formations, diverse personnel packages, pre-snap motion, hurry-up offense, freedom for the qb at the line, etc...all stuff we didnt do last year.

I'm not concerned either. The current and arguably best coach ever (BB) goes by the most simplistic old school moto ever existed - "Do your job". NE doesn't really do too much ananlytics, it's all innovating scheme and never ever beating themselves. 

34 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Everything I read from his PC was that his offense will not look like anything he's done in that past. He said new terminology, schemes, etc. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2018 at 11:57 AM, NickButera said:

I'm not concerned either. The current and arguably best coach ever (BB) goes by the most simplistic old school moto ever existed - "Do your job". NE doesn't really do too much ananlytics, it's all innovating scheme and never ever beating themselves. 

Saying "Do your job" ≠ ignoring new techniques.  Not that Belichek would ever share what his methods are either way. Although if you look at his record trading vets away and now trading draft picks for young players, that's not exactly traditional.

I think being automatically dismissive is not a good thing.

18 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Saying "Do your job" ≠ ignoring new techniques.  Not that Belichek would ever share what his methods are either way. Although if you look at his record trading vets away and now trading draft picks for young players, that's not exactly traditional.

I don't appreciate you automatically dismissing my automatic dismissal. 

21 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I do think it’s semi-ironic how basic the Patriots seem to be on the surface. I mean, they go into every season with a yearly motto that they trademark.

On 2/28/2018 at 12:31 PM, big_palooka said:

Everything I read from his PC was that his offense will not look like anything he's done in that past. He said new terminology, schemes, etc. 

“We are going to create more vertical shots off play-action.” - Jon Gruden on the #Raiders offense next season.

Total opposite of Downing.

I did like what he said about making sure we have a fullback and TE. He said with teams getting smaller and faster on D to defend the spread concepts. We may need to attack with big bodies and power. Makes sense to me. But my favorite thing he said is when he was gushing over the cheatriots. He said they do whatever they need to do to win. They may spread it out one week and I formation the next. And I think that is what we are going to see. A plan of attack on offense designed to exploit the weakness of the opposition. And maybe a different looking scheme from week to week.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally be put this to bed.

Check out his great article - https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders-nfl/raiders/raiders-gruden-sets-record-straight-on-taking-game-back-to-1998/

Best paragraph - “But when I say 1998, I’m going to do this very similar to how I did it then (when first joining the Raiders). We’re going to bring in a lot of free agents that are going to help us send a message, set the tone. We did it (in 1998) with Richard Harvey and Anthony Newman and Elijah Alexander and Eric Allen. We brought in a lot of guys who were pros that love football, that will compete and fight for the Raiders. That’s kinda what I meant, ‘taking it back to 1998.’”

Edited by NightTrainLane

People looking too much into what Gruden said

Irvin will be an OLB Edwards at DE during 1st downs and obvious run downs

on passing down line will be 

DE- Irvin

DE- Mack

DT- Edwards

DT- ?  

he also said we need more interior pass rusher. Mario Edwards needs to have a big year...

Edited by Humble_Beast

Interesting quote from Gruden about the last few drafts.

"There is a lot of unknowns right now…we need to see where [these guys] are fast. If they are not ready to roll on April 9th, there is going to be a lot of competition for them coming in. These young guys, well you cannot save a bad idea [draft choice] forever, and I think that’s the message we’re going to stick to, and we’re interested to see where some of our young players are.”

58 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Interesting quote from Gruden about the last few drafts.

"There is a lot of unknowns right now…we need to see where [these guys] are fast. If they are not ready to roll on April 9th, there is going to be a lot of competition for them coming in. These young guys, well you cannot save a bad idea [draft choice] forever, and I think that’s the message we’re going to stick to, and we’re interested to see where some of our young players are.”

Reggie scholarship players on a short least!!! good riddance lol