The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

23 hours ago, roi34 said:

I'm a victim.. I didn't love the hire then I see him up there talking aviuy the Raiders and it all comes flooding back. His passion for the game and team got me. I'm on board with Gruden coming back.. Jon won me over with the presser. 

Let's F'in go!

Agreed, I was sceptical of the appointment but hard not to be fired up after that press conference. Looking forward to next season already. 

Congratulations on your new head coach, Raiders fans.  I love Gruden.  Even though he has been out of coaching for a while, he hasn't been away from the game.  He should be a great influence on Derek Carr, and I could see him getting you back to the promised land.  Best of luck!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Honestly didn't want him anyways. He just rubs me the wrong way. I could see him being annoying on top of Olson and Gruden already

This. Abrasive guy with no coaching experience. You don't need 2 coaches with that much intensity.

Further... was anyone really buying Gannon taking a positional coaching job with long hours over a cushy analyst job when's he's never coached before? Me neither. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This. Abrasive guy with no coaching experience. You don't need 2 coaches with that much intensity.

Further... was anyone really buying Gannon taking a positional coaching job with long hours over a cushy analyst job when's he's never coached before? Me neither. 

Gannon may be abrasive, but truth has a way of hurting feelings... so be it. Gannon may be hard in his analysis but i've never heard him be unfair. imo Gannon's problem is he gets a little holier-than-thou, but winning an MVP would do that to most people.

So Gannon doesn't have coaching experience, he could get OJT and learn from both Olson and Gruden. What Gannon would bring to the table right away is intimate knowledge of the way Gruden works, the way he thinks, the way he prepares, and help Carr with the transition. 

"You don't need 2 coaches with that much intensity."... I honestly don't see where too much intensity has ever been a problem, I just don't get this line.

Uh, Gannon actually interviewed for the job, it could have happened. If Gannon didn't give this serious consideration 1) he would have squashed rumors of joining the staff when the Grumors were going around, 2) he would have squashed the rumors after Gruden as HC became official, 3) he wouldn't have done an interview for the job. While Gannon "came to his senses" and didn't take or remain an option for the job, he still expressed an interest in mentoring Carr in an unofficial capacity... sure sounds to me like Gannon would've given up the cushy analyst job under the right conditions. Personally I think Gannon might have some of that "unfinished business" going through his head like Gruden, and helping Carr and the RAIDERS achieve what he didn't (a SB victory) closes his book, even if it is by proxy.

6 hours ago, SuedeStonn said:

Uh, Gannon actually interviewed for the job, it could have happened. If Gannon didn't give this serious consideration 1) he would have squashed rumors of joining the staff when the Grumors were going around, 2) he would have squashed the rumors after Gruden as HC became official, 3) he wouldn't have done an interview for the job.

He never interviewed for the job. So....... it was a fun rumor, but it never really had legs

• Like 3

He has a pretty extensive history in the league but I don't know his work specifically.

New York Jets (2009)
Defensive quality control & defensive backs coach

New York Jets (2010–2012)
Assistant defensive backs coach

Buffalo Bills (2013)
Linebackers coach

Cleveland Browns (2014–2015)
Defensive coordinator

San Francisco 49ers (2016)
Defensive coordinator

Edited by NightTrainLane