The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

I think he definately not worth that money as a traditional LB, however I think we can use him creatively and effectively if we want to.

4-3 base: Edwards and Mack are the LDE-RDE pair and Irvin plays SLB. Mostly edge contain run stop duties and some zone cover.

Nickel, dime: Irvin comes down as the RDE while Mack moves to LDE to form a pass rush tandem.

Since everyone plays lots of nickel in todays NFL Irvin would rush a lot and could definately make up for that salary IMO.

I would like to keep him, since Pagano showed what he can be.

This. It’s not far from what he does now and with teams so little in base package it wouldn’t dramatically alter his role. 

If we shift to a 4-3 we have the personnel to cope. If Irvin was a pure 4-3 LB then $8m is too much, as a pass rusher it’s more worthy. 

26 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Rex Ryan would get old fast. He's not all that likable a guy either. 

They have to get Peyton

Rex wasn’t good in the game he did week 1. I thought he was going to kill it. Sound boisterous  at press conferences a little different then calling a game on national tv

18 minutes ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

Looks like we’re pursuing Teryl Austin for DC/Assistant HC 

DB Coach/Assistant HC from what I've read. Gonna be hard to get him IMO if he's got a DC offer from the Bengals. But between him and Guenther I'd feel fine about the defense. We'll see, not holding my breath though. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

DB Coach/Assistant HC from what I've read. Gonna be hard to get him IMO if he's got a DC offer from the Bengals. But between him and Guenther I'd feel fine about the defense. We'll see, not holding my breath though. 

Would be an awesome get but I'm not holding my breath either, but from everything I've heard Mark is paying dollar for this Gruden staff. Austin could be intrigued by working with a coach like Gruden who just signed a 10 yr deal, ahead of Marvin Lewis who it seems is on a 1 yr contact every year.

Edited by SilverNBlackFan

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

I like this! Guenther was kinda of a meh hire to me. Austin has been on a lot of teams radar's as a HC candidate. He can coach.

I'm sort of in the same camp here. While I think Guenther can coach as well, I think Austin adds weight and another good defensive mind to the ranks if we can get him.

Also heard Brian Heimerdinger, Jets director of player personal, is on the list as the young exec to come in and work with Gruden and Reggie on player scouting and accusation. Just a twitter rumor at this point and he is still under contract with the Jets so grain of salt and all that.

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Oh... I see it's for DBs coach/assistant HC. Why would he take a DB coach job over a DC job in Cincy? 

Awesome to see Gruden being aggressive in building this staff. Guess the second stint of R.Woodson is officially over.

Adding the Assistant HC give him more to work with and still puts him on the path to getting his own gig if he wants it and the contracts that are being talked about would be more attractive than the 1-2yrs he'll get under Lewis.

Also I wouldn't dismiss Nosdoom just yet. It would make since for him to come in as an assistant for his first coaching job. Have him be the guy on the field helping with drills and giving the young bucks pointers. I can see and would support that way before I just gave him a whole position group.

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

4-3 base: Edwards and Mack are the LDE-RDE pair and Irvin plays SLB. Mostly edge contain run stop duties and some zone cover.

In Guenther's scheme, Irvin wouldn't be doing this as SLB unless it he was playing press man against a tight end.

59 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I've not been this excited for an offseason in awhile. This is going to be the best coaching staff they've formed in decade. FO is getting a new look. And roster changes are coming as well. 

Agreed. I could care less about what Mark spent to get him, get rid of Del Rio and pay their staff. Gruden is putting together guys that can improve the young talent. Accountability will not be an issue with this staff.

i cant see Austin accepting this gig when he is a coveted DC who is still being considered as a head coach. would obviously be a great get if he comes over, though. and the assistant HC position could make for a smoother transition so he gets his head coaching gig elsewhere in a year or two. it would also be easier on us to lose an assistant than a coordinator