The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

2 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I think Olson is being brought in to help get Carr back on track and incorporate some elements of the Rams offense to the Raiders. Ultimately it’s going to be the Gruden show. 

Yeah, getting Carr back will be a group effort IMO, with Gruden, Olsen and Gannon (supposedly) all taking part. With them all working with him and the offense it seems all base should be covered on that front.

Been away for a while, love the new setup on here. Much more friendly on the phone haha. But I wanted to come in and say after a very disappointing season where we took a major step back I absolutely LOVE this move. Gruden is the perfect mix of ties to nostalgia, offensive minded, huge name, good motivator, hard working, rock star. He is the type of guy you bring in to take your team to the next level, and he's the type of guy that can help smooth over a looming move to a new market. It isn't without it's concerns obviously, with him being gone for so long, but it is worth the risk imo. Any fan would be crazy to not be excited at the idea of Chucky with DC, Coop, and our offensive line. I think Crabtree is a nice fit in his offense as well, but we will have to see on that. Gruden was that guy when I first became a fan, and I actually don't worry much about the game having passed him by. He's still been heavily involved with the game of football, he calls games, he is still a film junky, he has his QB camp keeping him in touch with the younger generation, and he's still young by coach standards. It's a swing for the fences type of move that works on just about every front. I truly believe he's a guy that can take us to that next step and truly compete for a super bowl. JDR wasn't that guy. But he did the job I believe he was hired to do, and that was to get us back to competitive and shift the culture from laughing stock to legit NFL franchise. He did that job, for the most part, but his decisions on coordinators, and a collapse this season did him in (not that the players don't have fault in this too), and you can't pass up on a Gruden reunion for Jack Del Rio, but I appreciate what he did do for us, I and many others will always wonder just how things may have ended up if DC didn't snap his leg on Christmas eve last season and it will likely haunt Jack as well. But on to bigger and better things Raider Nation. I am so excited to see the Gruden offense with our young core. And I honestly don't even really mind Olson coming back either, in the role he will have here it's essentially an offensive assistant. He has familiarity with DC, Carr mentions him quite a bit for a guy that's been gone a few years, and he knows the system. Gruden is the one designing the offense, it's his baby. Also glad Reggie is staying. I think he's earned the right to attempt to see if he and Chucky can be on the same page, have a similar philosophy of things, and win it all. Reggie has some strong skills that Gruden could greatly benefit from having in the front office. It shakes things up obviously, but we needed it imo, and Gruden coming out of the booth for our job tells me it's a very attractive job. It's one of those things that could take a yeasr or two, but with a 10 year contract that won't be a huge issue, probably something Gruden even realizes after being away for so long. And Gruden's offense to me seems like such a strong fit for DC, who didn't look great this year to say the least, but is still our long term answer at QB. It's an exciting time Raider Nation. Let's enjoy it. 

• Like 3

...a decade-long deal provides plenty of space for creativity when it comes to crafting a perception that a coach is getting paid more than he is. And as it relates to the contract given by the Raiders to former and future coach Jon Gruden, the deal is backloaded, with less than $10 million per year being paid in the early years.

How much less? One league source said that my round-number example of $25 million over the first five years and $75 million over the final five years from PFT PM isn’t that far off the mark. More specifically, the source says the early years are much closer to $5 million annually than $10 million.

One big reason for that relates to state income tax. In California, where the Raiders will be at least for a year, the maximum rate is 13.3 percent. In Nevada, there is no state income tax.

The bigger question is whether and to what extent the deal is guaranteed?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/06/grudens-contract-is-backloaded/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Incredible news. Good find.

Not really, it all comes down to how much or how many years are guaranteed.  It’s not like his contract messes with our cap so I don’t care how much he is paid as long as he is successful.  If he isn’t I’m just hoping there is an out at some point.

55 minutes ago, daineraider said:

Not really, it all comes down to how much or how many years are guaranteed.  It’s not like his contract messes with our cap so I don’t care how much he is paid as long as he is successful.  If he isn’t I’m just hoping there is an out at some point.

I always thought coach contracts are part of the Cap no??

1 hour ago, daineraider said:

Compared to the 10mil a year for 10 yrs report, it is good news that the money is limited early on and not all of it is guaranteed.

I agree it could get better when we know exact details (if we do get them).

Edited by NightTrainLane

1 hour ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Article doesn’t change anything about the contract really. Still $100 million until we know what’s guaranteed and what isn’t. 

The article tells us about the distribution of the money and that guaranteed limits and possible outs could very well be in play, so yes, the article changes a lot, especially for those that were operating under the assumption that it was a straight 10mil a yr for 10 yrs deal.