The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

After ingesting the disappointing season and thinking about how we got to this point and where we are heading.

There were clear reasons why we underperformed and to me it was largely:

1- very vanilla offensive and defensive play calling. I cannot recall how many times I shook my head and wondered "WTF"!?!? on BOTH sides of the ball. I'm not an X and O's type of guy so I cannot tell you all of the schemes that were or were not being run but I've been watching ball for a long time and know what looks and feels right and they simply lost explosion on both sides of the ball.

2- Our #1 pick Conley (who was supposed to provide the secondary with a big upgrade) barely touched the field. So basically, we ran status quo and didn't truly upgrade our defense through the draft like it seemed which was our focus in the draft. I still think Mack and Irvin were under-utilized and unassisted to help them get to the QB though...imrpoved with Pagano with stunts and blitzes.

3- Babied Lynch too much in early part of season...should have been trucking him to give DC some steady balance.

Going forward:

My biggest question will be who is our RB going to be?

In the Gruden WC offense he needs versatile backs that can catch the ball often (Garner). Without an explosive player coming out of the backfield I'm not sure his offense takes off. I'm not hitching this system to Richard or Washington...can it be Lynch who (actually has decent hands) and get him out in space?

During his regime the Raiders often made the opponent one-dimensional by scoring so many points per game and being in control of the ball, which greatly assisted the defensive unit. We NEED to be able to score points and move up and down the field next year to see instant success.

I'm excited about Gruden and hopeful, I was disgusted by the lack of creativity by this past group of coaches.

9 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

The article tells us about the distribution of the money and that guaranteed limits and possible outs could very well be in play, so yes, the article changes a lot, especially for those that were operating under the assumption that it was a straight 10mil a yr for 10 yrs deal.

Yeah it’s talk so about the distribution and then SPECULATES about the limits and outs. Nothing factual in that article from what I can tell. 

I’ll wait for factual numbers to come out (if we even get them). Article is a lot of fluff. 

6 hours ago, Nightmare said:

On a slightly-related note, I wonder if we'll open up Mount Davis for the next two years. I hate seeing such a large section of our stadium tarped-off.

I sat up there once and it was pretty bad.  Lot of gang BS going on.  I would like to fill the stadium also, but they would have to put even more cops up there to keep the violence down.  The seats are so cheap up there that Im not sure that the costs will offset or not, but the extra crowd noise/energy would be nice to have.

I bet we see the Amari Cooper we all know he can be and Gruden will want to keep Crabtree as they will be his modern day Rice/Rison and Brown he also won't waste time putting 4th and 5th stringers on the field, and will probably want Patterson back who will be his 3rd WR/KR ,we will see little of Seth Roberts if he isn't cut all together. I see him liking DeAndre Washington a lot as his Charlie Garner/Kaufman and would love to keep Beast mode, his Wheatley . In fact I don't see much personnel change on offense at all, Gruden will implement an offense that works.

46 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Yeah it’s talk so about the distribution and then SPECULATES about the limits and outs. Nothing factual in that article from what I can tell. 

I’ll wait for factual numbers to come out (if we even get them). Article is a lot of fluff. 

Well if you wanna play that then all of the info that has come out about the contract can be considered speculation until it is confirmed fact. It all comes from sources we don't know and therefore can't consider as fact. We choose to believe them because of the media members level of credibility.

45 minutes ago, daineraider said:

I sat up there once and it was pretty bad.  Lot of gang BS going on.  I would like to fill the stadium also, but they would have to put even more cops up there to keep the violence down.  The seats are so cheap up there that Im not sure that the costs will offset or not, but the extra crowd noise/energy would be nice to have.

Yeah, I have sat up there too and you're right about the cheap cost brought people that normally wouldn't be in the stadium. Not to mention it was a bad stadium experience IMO. Terrible seats in the hot sun and bad view. You are basically watching ants run around on a green rectangle. I did it once and ponied up for real seats forever after that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

We're going to have to invest more in the linebacker position with Guenther as defensive coordinator. The Bengals deploy three linebackers regularly and play a big part against the run and pass.

Yep, re-sign Bowman and draft Smith(should have been Foster last year).

9 minutes ago, daineraider said:

Yep, re-sign Bowman and draft Smith(should have been Foster last year).

It's hard to imagine Irvin isn't cut without schematic accommodations or a pay cut. Ultimately, the coin flip might be a big deciding factor if the Raiders can even pick Smith; I imagine he'll also high on John Lynch's board.

I like Rahsaan Evans too. Not sure I like him top 10; but I like him a lot.

Edited by Rich7sena

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

NIckel defense though?

But instead of taking out a defensive lineman (Ellis), a linebacker comes off the field -- meaning true second level linebackers are going to see more snaps in base if Guenther carrie over his scheme.

Edited by Rich7sena