The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Meh on both. I would have liked to seen anyone else beside Olsen. He's about the least inspiring guy ever lol. At least you don't have to worry about him getting a HC job 

20120523__raidersknapp1.jpg

Edited by RaiderX
  • Like 4

The OC on a Gruden team is of little importance anyway (relatively speaking), so I'm alright with it being Olson. He's got lots of experience in the league and has worked with Gruden before. We weren't going to get a marquee name for a position where the guy knows he's going to have minimal impact on the offense.

The Guenther one is a different matter, as we really don't have a great idea of what to expect, other than that it really is going to be his defense. Seems to be very much of a middle of the road kind of hire, but right now having a middle of the road defense sounds pretty appealing to me after some of the muck we've served up for the past few years.

Edited by Nightmare

39 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

The OC on a Gruden team is of little importance anyway (relatively speaking), so I'm alright with it being Olson. He's got lots of experience in the league and has worked with Gruden before. We weren't going to get a marquee name for a position where the guy knows he's going to have minimal impact on the offense.

The Guenther one is a different matter, as we really don't have a great idea of what to expect, other than that it really is going to be his defense. Seems to be very much of a middle of the road kind of hire, but right now having a middle of the road defense sounds pretty appealing to me after some of the muck we've served up for the past few years.

this is the same thing we were saying about a DC under del rio, and we turned out KNJ pretty quickly. though to be fair, JDR wasn't calling plays

Edited by raiderrocker18

2 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

irrelevant to the point. saying the coordinator doesn't matter because the coach will be handling that side of the ball is weak/lazy imo

Did Del Rio say he was handling the defense when he hired norton? Very Different situation imo.

I thought, and I read, that Gruden wants Olson because of what he learned under McVay, specifically terminology. 

Edited by OakRaiders3828

16 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

In Guenther's scheme, Irvin wouldn't be doing this as SLB unless it he was playing press man against a tight end.

You know this for a fact?

I mean you watched Bengals film during the year or lately?

I haven't had the time to do so myself, so I'm only guessing.

What duties do the SLB, MLB, WLB have in that scheme?

7 hours ago, Rolni said:

You know this for a fact?

I mean you watched Bengals film during the year or lately?

I haven't had the time to do so myself, so I'm only guessing.

What duties do the SLB, MLB, WLB have in that scheme?

Yeah and there is also the head coach influence and player adjustment factor. Guenther could stray away from aspects of what he did in Cinny because he isn't under Lewis and is under Gruden or to adjust to the personal he has in Oakland. We'll have to wait til camp to really know.

19 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

irrelevant to the point. saying the coordinator doesn't matter because the coach will be handling that side of the ball is weak/lazy imo

Except that I didn't say it doesn't matter.

OC on any team in the NFL is definitely a position that matters. My point was that, under a guy who will have control over just about everything the offense does (Gruden), in a relative sense it isn't the most appealing position, which is why we're stuck with an underwhelming name like Olson.