The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

2 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Did anybody know that Reggie and Gruden worked together in GB?

I never knew for sure but the timeline made sense. Reggie was a young executive when Jon was an assistant coach under Gruden.

I loved the presser. Everything i wanted to hear and see. Chucky is still the same Chucky after all the years. I called this 2-3 months ago and i smiled through the whole presser watching it become reality. Im beyond stoked.

11 hours ago, Rolni said:

You know this for a fact?

I mean you watched Bengals film during the year or lately?

I haven't had the time to do so myself, so I'm only guessing.

What duties do the SLB, MLB, WLB have in that scheme?

I have watched a few Bengals games this year (mostly to watch Mixon) and recently I've watched some coaches tape of the defense.

Gunther runs a pretty conservative defense. A lot of 2-high, 4 down lineman stuff. Mix of man and zone. Linebackers do what linebackers do; read gaps against the run and drop into zone against the pass.

10 hours ago, roi34 said:

I'm a victim.. I didn't love the hire then I see him up there talking aviuy the Raiders and it all comes flooding back. His passion for the game and team got me. I'm on board with Gruden coming back.. Jon won me over with the presser. 

Let's F'in go!

Agreed, lets go im excited, he has a way with words.

Man, after watching that I'm fired up.  No idea how this move will pan out but I am excited to watch things unfold.  I particularly enjoyed the bits about Reggie and Gruden planning to work together.  I was apprehensive in a way when the rumors started because I feared a total change in front office as well.  I do think Reggie needs to improve.  But I also think those 2 working together can be successful.  Specifically hearing both of them sounding so willing to work together and become a good partnership was great.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I have watched a few Bengals games this year (mostly to watch Mixon) and recently I've watched some coaches tape of the defense.

Gunther runs a pretty conservative defense. A lot of 2-high, 4 down lineman stuff. Mix of man and zone. Linebackers do what linebackers do; read gaps against the run and drop into zone against the pass.

Thx!

Ted Nyugen will write a Guenther break down next week...I'm eager to read that

16 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I think his defense was a bit more conservative this season than he prefers. Both starting linebackers (Vigil, Burfict) missed at least five games, so not much was asked of Vincent Rey and Kevin Minter in their place.

Here is an article that touches on Guenther adjusting to conservative play calling the previous season, also due to less than ideal personnel. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/11/4/13512384/drafting-development-struggles-on-defense-evident-bengals-slow-start-nfl

Granted, the Raiders probably do not have the personnel he would like to run a lot of his more aggressive (Double A Gap) looks, so should maybe expect a bit more conservatism, at least in the short term.

Edited by mct288

I could easily be wrong, but I think Gruden's "unfinished business" comment was more-or-less aimed at the Patriots. Not only that, but I believe him -- I think he's at least partially motivated by the Tuck Rule game to build a team that could take on and beat Belichick and the Pats in the playoffs.
     My opinion on Greg Olson is that he was probably the best we could do under the circumstances. High-grade OC's won't come to just hold a notebook under Gruden, and Olson has a relationship with Carr plus has some success in coaching QBs. If this hire had taken place under JDR, I wouldn't be happy -- but under Gruden, I think it'll work out okay.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

I could easily be wrong, but I think Gruden's "unfinished business" comment was more-or-less aimed at the Patriots. Not only that, but I believe him -- I think he's at least partially motivated by the Tuck Rule game to build a team that could take on and beat Belichick and the Pats in the playoffs.
     My opinion on Greg Olson is that he was probably the best we could do under the circumstances. High-grade OC's won't come to just hold a notebook under Gruden, and Olson has a relationship with Carr plus has some success in coaching QBs. If this hire had taken place under JDR, I wouldn't be happy -- but under Gruden, I think it'll work out okay.

I agree. I think Olsen brings the right mix of QB chemistry with Carr, offensive coaching experience and modern offensive ideas from his time in LA. 

1 hour ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

I agree. I think Olsen brings the right mix of QB chemistry with Carr, offensive coaching experience and modern offensive ideas from his time in LA. 

Co sign. Feel the same as you both.