The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

36 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

The Rooney rule is a joke and the NFL knows it. We blatantly violated it.

Nope. The rule is that you have to interview a minority candidate before hiring another coach. Period

We don't know terms or contracts were accepted in Mark's meeting with Gruden or that he even "accepted" the job. They spoke of Jon's want to get back into coaching and Gruden replied in the affirmative to Mark's "all in" question. That is the extent of what has been said about the meeting.

The NFL had to prove something other than that happened. They could not.

We interview 2 minority coaches before the terms and contract was signed with Gruden. We satisfied the rule as written. 

Whether the spirit of the rule was violated is unproven as well and it is up to the actual candidates to accept the interview or not. If they believed it was a formality they probably wouldn't even show up like what happened in Detriot  in 2003 that led to them being fined.

Edit : But I agree the Rooney rule is a joke because of this instance right here. If a team is smart they would never be penalized for this. We weren't.

Edited by NightTrainLane

I get why the Rooney Rule exists, the NFL has historically been a good ol’ boys type of league run by a certain type of person. However if a team has a guy in mind they should be free to pursue them. I do really feel for guys who are just sacrificial lambs like Tyrel Austin and this year Steve Wilks. This is like getting a text from that really hot girl asking if you want to get lunch, but when you show up she’s already eating with some other dude. 

Carr did an interview with Vic Tafur on The Athletic. Here were some highlights:

Excited to run more no-huddle offense as Gruden said he aims to do. Love having a QB minded coach

Elated to have Olson back. Mutual love for each other. Praised him as a smart coach

Interest quote on the 2017 season:

There were a lot of things that went on that no one will know about because no one will talk about it. It’s just one of those things. But it was a hard year.

On his back:

Doesn't want it to be an excuse, but it was a problem. He rushed back to soon, never rested it and coaches didn't try to stop him

If I could go back … if they had just told me, hey, from the beginning, “We’re not letting you play,” that would have been cool. That way, that whole week, I could have rested it. I probably would have been better off.

On Crabtree:

The last few weeks, things were happening and we were all like, “Aw man, I wish it wasn’t going like that.” It got a little out there and overboard.

What exactly happened with Crabtree? 

And you have to love those on here questioning if Carr’s “tough enough” to play under Gruden, despite him playing a week after breaking three bones in his back, and showing nothing but a hard working attitude since coming here. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Darkness said:

What exactly happened with Crabtree?

No one knows for sure. That is kind of the point. A lot of speculation and this is the first think that has been said by someone with inside knowledge that confirms that there was a situation. My thinking is that, what ever it was, most likely it had to do with past coaches.