Is Keenan Allen A Top 5 WR

chargerbuckeye

17 hours ago, chargerbuckeye said:

Would you say he belongs in the Conversation with Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Deandre Hopkins, and AJ Green?

Where's Odell? Odell is possibly the NFL's most explosive receiver. I'd say 1. Brown, 2. Jones, 3. Beckham Jr., 4. Hopkins, 5. Green. Allen is too inconsistent for me to call him Top 5. He might be a Top 5 receiver on this year's "Top 100 Players of 2017" though.

11 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

Where's Odell? Odell is possibly the NFL's most explosive receiver. I'd say 1. Brown, 2. Jones, 3. Beckham Jr., 4. Hopkins, 5. Green. Allen is too inconsistent for me to call him Top 5. He might be a Top 5 receiver on this year's "Top 100 Players of 2017" though.

Lets see how odell fares with a new QB

1 hour ago, chargerbuckeye said:

Eli's probably sticking around (even if he's just the backup). Good point, though. I'd still put Beckham over Allen, just not over Hopkins if he were to underperform with a different quarterback.

I will need Keenan to at least do it again. Honestly, I probably want two more years out of him. I would say it stacks up something like this...

1.) Brown

---

2. Julio

3.) Beckham Jr.

4.) Hopkins

---

5.) Green

6.) Evans

---

7.) Allen

---

8. Hilton

9. Thomas

10.  Baldwin/Hill/Cooks/Thomas/Adams

Keenan is great.   Was a big fan of his coming out.    However, he is not top 5 and doesnt even really have an argument if only because of his injuries.   And no, Im not saying "He is overrated because he might get hurt". but availability is UNDERRATED.   I know he played all year this year, and that will go a long way to getting him into the top 5.....but he needs to stay on the field to overtake some of the guys ahead of him..

I think no. Just outside by a bit. I'd have Brown, Jones, Hopkins, OBJ, and Green as my top 5. Probably Evans at #6. Allen would be in the next tier there along with T.Y. Hilton and Michael Thomas, and I think Adam Thielen and Tyreek Hill are breaking into that tier as well after this season.

Two things keep Allen below the guys above him, for me. Durability, is the obvious one, though he's just one healthy season away from wiping that problem off his resume. Beside that, Allen just doesn't strike me as the downfield threat that the top couple of guys are. Brown is a beast all-around, Jones has that height/speed combo downfield, Hopkins is very fast and borderline unstoppable on contested catches, OBJ has the speed, Green and Evans have the size and vert. I don't see anything in Allen yet that scares me deep. One of the best route runners in football, excellent with YAC, but he doesn't demand a S over the top the way your typical top 5 guys do. His 3 longest catches this year, IIRC, were all around 40 - 50 yards, and it was a flea flicker, and two 10 - 15 yard passes with 30ish yards of YAC. That to me is the one dimension he needs to add to his game if he's going to be considered with especially the top 4, Brown, Jones, Hopkins, and a healthy OBJ.

On 1/2/2018 at 1:10 AM, chargerbuckeye said:

Would you say he belongs in the Conversation with Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Deandre Hopkins, and AJ Green?

No, definitely not in the conversation with those guys yet... and I would add OBJ and Evans too.

I would say Keenan Allen is in the group of WRs following those 6, along with Michael Thomas, Thielen, DT, Hilton, among others.

I'm curious as to how those who criticize Allen for missing too much time are ok with the amount of time that OBJ has missed.  Allen has missed 32.5% of available games; OBJ has missed 26.5%...a mere 6% difference of games, or, the difference of 1 game per season.

I'm just saying that for those ok with the time OBJ has missed, should be ok with the time Allen has missed, and base them on their merits.  If the time missed is too much, then Iwould think the time missed by OBJ would be as well.

I personally think OBJ is the better WR, overall, but I would place Allen at the edge of the top 5...maybe 6th. 

On 1/2/2018 at 4:07 PM, chargerbuckeye said:

Why is qb play a qualifier for obj but not Allen (or any of the others)? Why do we have to wait to see him with a new quarterback? That doesn't make sense, particularly given we are talking about right now (meaning it would be based on what they've shown to this point). 

Archived