Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

All in all the injury news today was encouraging, which is all we could ask for. Jaire progressing, King moreso day-to-day with his shoulder injury, same with Preston Smith and his oblique(would guess he doesn't play this Sunday though). Myers only out a few weeks is a sigh of relief when it comes to the dreaded knee injury diagnosis.

13 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

All in all the injury news today was encouraging, which is all we could ask for. Jaire progressing, King moreso day-to-day with his shoulder injury, same with Preston Smith and his oblique(would guess he doesn't play this Sunday though). Myers only out a few weeks is a sigh of relief when it comes to the dreaded knee injury diagnosis.

MLF was asked a lot of injury questions and answered a lot of them.  Agree, much of it seemed anti-awful.

• Myers weeks, not months.
  • Bakhti returning to practice.
  • Preston also seemed more like weeks rather than months.  Big relief, to me. 
  • King, MLF didn't anticipate putting him on the 3-week IR, so again that sounds like weeks, not months.
  • The framing of the Jaire questions made it hard for me to know what to take from MLF's answers.  The initial question was whether he'd need surgery.  MLF's answer was basically positive, that Jaire is progressing, and that they didn't think surgery would be required.  A followup question also included reference to surgery.  But I'm not sure what progressing and probably not needing surgery means in terms of football.  I think it means months instead of next season?    But I'm not sure it would imply a couple of weeks instead of month-plus?  That the questions were still about surgery, and MLF was optimistic to the tune of probably not surgery but MLF couldn't be totally confident even of that, that did NOT give me any expectation that he was anywhere close to playing good football again.  I'm going to hope that day will come this season, but maybe it's more about playing in December and being ready for playoffs, rather than about being ready for the whole month of November.
  • There was a question about MVS and MLF said he didn't know.  That certainly gave me the impression that MVS is NOT close, and is NOT practicing today, and is probably not going to be ready within the next game or two.  
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

They don't use the franchise tag in GB.  They might in this case but doubtful.

It usually doesn’t make sense to use the franchise tag- you’re usually tagging inferior players and you’ve resigned the core of your team via extensions already.

This case is much different than previous free agents fans wanted the team to use the tag on.

Edited by Cpdaly23

44 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Suddenly, Tonyan kinda sucks again, in both phases. Give me Dafney and Big Dog if he's going to block like this...

He had a down day, at least on a few plays like this that I saw.  On a positive note, I saw Deguara make some key blocks in motion and he even had a catch for a small pickup. 

Chicago presents lots of tough blocking assignments on the line, unless your name is Big Dawg. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Suddenly, Tonyan kinda sucks again, in both phases. Give me Dafney and Big Dog if he's going to block like this...

Doesn't take long for fans to turn on any player, hero to zero in a couple of games.  

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

The second play was doomed from the start. You're asking your "move" TE to block one of the best 4-3 DEs in the game while you run directly at him. That's not only on Tonyan. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R T said:

Doesn't take long for fans to turn on any player, hero to zero in a couple of games.  

I don't think it's that. I think it's more we have to consider that maybe Tonyan had a Fackrell year last year with all those redzone TDs. We expected him to take the "next step" and it clearly has not happened through six games. Hell, there's a pretty clear regression there. IIRC, he has one TD and it was a play where Rodgers literally put the ball through the defender. We haven't seen Tonyan create any separation in the passing game and his run blocking has been pretty weak all season, not just against the Bears. 

Edited by packfanfb

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't think it's that. I think it's more we have to consider that maybe Tonyan had a Fackrell year last year with all those redzone TDs. We expected him to take the "next step" and it clearly has not happened through six games. Hell, there's a pretty clear regression there. IIRC, he has one TD and it was a play where Rodgers literally put the ball through the defender. We haven't seen Tonyan create any separation in the passing game and his run blocking has been pretty weak all season, not just against the Bears. 

Do you remember him serving Bosa pancakes way back when, 3 weeks ago?  He’s had some ups and downs like any player but we can’t ignore the ups. He’s also shown great hands and should have a chance to show them again soon. I don’t think he is or should be paid like one of the top TEs but he has improved his all around game. I think most people recognized last year was an anomaly as far as TDs, but he is a player. Here’s to hoping that  he has a great year and it will be one of many interesting decisions this coming offseason. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Do you remember him serving Bosa pancakes way back when, 3 weeks ago?  He’s had some ups and downs like any player but we can’t ignore the ups. He’s also shown great hands and should have a chance to show them again soon. I don’t think he is or should be paid like one of the top TEs but he has improved his all around game. I think most people recognized last year was an anomaly as far as TDs, but he is a player. Here’s to hoping that  he has a great year and it will be one of many interesting decisions this coming offseason. 

I mean I remember him chipping on Bosa and laying a big hit on him when Bosa wasn't looking...sorry I'm not going to bang the drum on those types of plays. Tonyan was supposed to be a big part of the offense this year. He had a really good training camp as well. However, so far, he's been virtually invisible. Not giving up on him and I want him to succeed more than anyone, but it's fair to question whether last year was a one-hit wonder type of year for him. 

Edited by packfanfb