Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Andrew Brandt / SI  -   Let this sink in: A frigid little burgh of 100,000 people in north-central Wisconsin has an NFL team, and one with sustained success. Although their ability to financially compete is primarily due to equally shared NFL media revenues and the leveling effect of the salary cap, the stock sale also helps ensure that viability. The Green Bay Packers’ story is still the one of the greatest in American sports.

There is no professional sports community in this country that wraps itself around a team like the Packers fan community. When I moved to Green Bay and started looking for a home, I was amazed: Most of the houses we looked at had some sort of Packers “shrine room,” adorned with green carpeting—or flooring or wallpaper or paint—as well as team memorabilia and, of course, their framed stock certificate. And to many Packers fans, that stock certificate is the most valuable thing they own.

As for whether fans are actually making a donation or gift to the Packers: Of course they are, and they know it. I do find it interesting, though, that there is not the same derision about states and municipalities “donating” or “gifting” hundreds of millions of fan-supported taxpayer funding to assist billionaire NFL owners in stadium construction. For perspective, the Packers’ $90 million raised in this process is dwarfed by Nevada’s recently “donating” $800 million to the Raiders for stadium funding.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andrew Brandt / SI  -   Let this sink in: A frigid little burgh of 100,000 people in north-central Wisconsin has an NFL team, and one with sustained success. Although their ability to financially compete is primarily due to equally shared NFL media revenues and the leveling effect of the salary cap, the stock sale also helps ensure that viability. The Green Bay Packers’ story is still the one of the greatest in American sports.

There is no professional sports community in this country that wraps itself around a team like the Packers fan community. When I moved to Green Bay and started looking for a home, I was amazed: Most of the houses we looked at had some sort of Packers “shrine room,” adorned with green carpeting—or flooring or wallpaper or paint—as well as team memorabilia and, of course, their framed stock certificate. And to many Packers fans, that stock certificate is the most valuable thing they own.

As for whether fans are actually making a donation or gift to the Packers: Of course they are, and they know it. I do find it interesting, though, that there is not the same derision about states and municipalities “donating” or “gifting” hundreds of millions of fan-supported taxpayer funding to assist billionaire NFL owners in stadium construction. For perspective, the Packers’ $90 million raised in this process is dwarfed by Nevada’s recently “donating” $800 million to the Raiders for stadium funding.

Its always interesting to read the reaction of other fan bases to the stock sale.  I'm not sure this is still true, but back in the 1990's when the Packers were planning the renovation of the stadium, they also asked to borrow money from the NFL stadium improvement fund.  The Packers only qualified for a very small amount from the NFL.  Why...because one of the key determinants in determining how much a franchise could borrow from the NFL was the size of the market (population) that the team was in.  Green Bay being located within a very small city in the U.S was limited to a very small loan amount.  Other cities (like New York, Minneapolis, ect) qualify for much bigger amounts as the reside in much larger metropolitan areas in terms of population.  So without a stock sale (or donation), the team would not have had sufficient funds to renovate the stadium.  This is one of the reasons why the team is again slowly rebuilding their "preservation fund" again.  Other fan bases do not like that Green Bay has almost $500 million set aside in the preservation fund, but that is one of the reasons why they do it.

• Like 2

Paul Bretl -  Per the dope sheet:

Amos is the only S to record multiple INTs and 60+ tackles each of the last 4 seasons.

MVS has 4 TDs of 70+ yards since 2019, the most during that span.

Dillon has 4 straight games of 75+ scrimmage yards.

Bojo ranks top-5 in net punt avg. & gross avg.

This from a couple of weeks back might have been posted already but interesting none the less:

The Packers rank third among the lowest-rated 7-1 teams in DVOA history. Most of the teams on the rankings went 4-4 or 5-3 over the remainder of the season. All of these teams made the playoffs except the 1988 New Orleans Saints back when there were only five playoff teams per conference. The 2015 Broncos, of course, went on to win the Super Bowl, but they do not really resemble the 2021 Packers in any way.