Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

23 minutes ago, Jaire_Island said:

The reason he might consider Ten is because of A J Brown. No way that trade will happen

Titians don't have the draft picks we would want.  I would whether have the #9 pick instead of the #26th.  Do they even own a pick in the second round this year?

Edited by jleisher
add

1 minute ago, Norm said:

It's impossible for them to move on from Tannehill isn't it? There's not much reason to discuss it after that. Like they literally can't do it and still have a roster basically

It's pretty similar to Goff and the Rams last year.  They only save money if they trade him.  If they release him, they incur even more dead cap.  I suppose he could be re-routed to a 3rd team but that makes a deal more difficult.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Trade him to the highest non NFC North bidder.

This.  At this point, whoever is offering the most is who I'm sending him to whether that be Denver or someone else.  The only teams I'm not sending him to are Chicago, Detroit, and Minnesota.

45 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I just dont see us trading him in the NFC... I mean, I guess anything can happen, but I doubt he is in Tampa.

Tampa Bay seems like an odd fit.  The Packers likely want young, cheap defensive players in return, and that's not really something Tampa has in spades.  Plus, it's got late picks and no extra picks of note.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Titians don't have the draft picks we would want.  I would whether have the #9 pick instead of the #26th.  Do they even own a pick in the second round this year?

Hypothetically speaking, would you rather have the #9 pick plus Denver's pick next year OR Tennessee's next 3 first round picks including #26?

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Trade him to the highest non NFC North bidder.

Is it that bad to trade him to NFC North ?

If you want him traded then you must think the picks and cap space are worth more than Rodgers. On that basis you must think its a bad deal for the other side. So maybe trading in the NFC North isn't such a bad thing.

Plus, whoever trades for Rodgers is better short term, maybe weaker long term. In that scenario we are probably not competing in 22 to hopefully be able to gear up for another run long term. So maybe having a rival strong around the time we are rebuilding (and weaker when we have reloaded) isn't a bad thing.

If you took sentiment out of it (which is impossible I guess) then trading him to NFC North might be the best move sporting wise. If you believe that the picks and cap space are more valuable than Rodgers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

If you want him traded then you must think the picks and cap space are worth more than Rodgers. On that basis you must think its a bad deal for the other side. So maybe trading in the NFC North isn't such a bad thing.

Plus, whoever trades for Rodgers is better short term, maybe weaker long term. In that scenario we are probably not competing in 22 to hopefully be able to gear up for another run long term. So maybe having a rival strong around the time we are rebuilding (and weaker when we have reloaded) isn't a bad thing.

If you took sentiment out of it (which is impossible I guess) then trading him to NFC North might be the best move sporting wise. If you believe that the picks and cap space are more valuable than Rodgers.

No .. not really.  We could have got a lot more for Favre if they just would have bit the bullet and shipped him to Minny.  Instead we exiled him tp the Jets for a crappy return and then watched him get himself to Minny the next year.  I think in this case we are going to get some great offers to ship Rodgers far away.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Tampa Bay seems like an odd fit.  The Packers likely want young, cheap defensive players in return, and that's not really something Tampa has in spades.  Plus, it's got late picks and no extra picks of note.

Give me Winfield and Tryon, plus a bunch of picks. 

Trading Rodgers to an NFC North team certainly is an interesting thought. No matter how fans feel about moving ARod to a team like the Vikes and repeating the Brett Favre experience, I think many would have to admit the Packers likely would get the highest price/draft picks in return for such a deal. And I think you have a good point about the long-term negative consequences of depleting an opponent of draft choices on the long term. All that said, however, you have to wonder if the front office--Murphy and Gutekunst--would have the guts to seriously consider making such a move. A major surge of negative reaction could well cost them their employment status. Both of those men like walking out on stage for the Packer shareholder meetings to a chorus of cheers--not a hail of rotten tomatoes or worse.

27 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

You don't trade star players in your division, this is just an unwritten rule of every sports league.