Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

35 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

From Houston?  Probably not.  For a team like LA Chargers or Buffalo?  I think they'd absolutely consider that.  You'd rent a top 3 WR for a year and then collect a draft pick a year later.

Buffalo is tight on cap space to fit a franchise tag into

LAC could.  

My point is more about what type of tremendous haul in draft picks GB could get for Adams.  If adams is willing to sign a long term deal with that team, the trade compensation could/would be higher vs Adams refusing to do a long term extension.  

3 hours ago, R T said:

Nope, the tag amount counts against the cap. He would need to be tagged by March 8th and the Packers have until 4PM March 16th to be at/under the cap. Adams could not be officially traded until after 4PM on the 16th, first business day of the new year. It is why the Packers doing the Hokey-Pokey with a tag and trade is fairly iffy.   

Interesting, is that the earliest we could trade anyone? Say, Z for example.

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Interesting, is that the earliest we could trade anyone? Say, Z for example.

I'm pretty sure you can't trade anyone until the first day of the league new year, which is the first day of free agency, which is the deadline of when you have to be under the cap.

Ken Ingalls on twitter (great follow) calls it the "order of operations problem". You can't make these moves until there's cap space, so you'd effectively be cutting guys like Lowry, Turner, etc to make room to trade anyone like Rodgers or Adams.

34 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I'm pretty sure you can't trade anyone until the first day of the league new year, which is the first day of free agency, which is the deadline of when you have to be under the cap.

Ken Ingalls on twitter (great follow) calls it the "order of operations problem". You can't make these moves until there's cap space, so you'd effectively be cutting guys like Lowry, Turner, etc to make room to trade anyone like Rodgers or Adams.

Makes sense. Extensions and restructures of course are fine, but I was workout out a mock off-season in which we trade Z to the Bengals to make cap space, but now I'll have to scrub that 😂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

How so?  Tag & Trade

We are 50M over the cap and Adams cap hit would be 20.1M. Oh, and we would have to sign it. You also need a trade partner who is willing to pay 25-27M per year and considerable draft capital. Not gonna happen in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 10:25 PM, Chili said:

Regarding possible QB coaches:

However we do have a quality control coach who was an extremely mediocre former college QB, Tim Zetts so he could be a candidate for promotion but LaFleur would've done so already if he was a viable option.

I've just discovered that Getsy took Zetts with him to Chicago but surprisingly only as an lowly assistant TE coach rather than a position coach gig of his own.  If Getsy did not give him a proper promotion then I think there's no way LaFleur would've considered him for QB coach.

This just confirms to me 100% that our new QB coach will be from outside the organisation.

By the way I just had a sudden thought whilst I was typing this post out. What if LaFleur is copying McVay? McVay didn't have a QB coach this season but I suspect he took on some of those responsibilities himself and employed an assistant QB coach to help him. Didn't hurt Stafford from taking the Rams to the Superbowl.

Well....LaFleur is a former QB coach so theoretically he could take on those responsibilities and he also promoted Connor Lewis as assistant. A similar pattern seems to be forming.

Maybe he has already completed his coaching staff?

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, R T said:

Correct. As for Z and his contract, he is untradeable. There is zero trade value there.    

Erroneous. His dead cap hit wouldn't transfer to the other team and he was dominant in his return from the injury. A team with a ton of cap space and an open championship window would be interested.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

I've just discovered that Getsy took Zetts with him to Chicago but surprisingly only as an lowly assistant TE coach rather than a position coach gig of his own.  If Getsy did not give him a proper promotion then I think there's no way LaFleur would've considered him for QB coach.

This just confirms to me 100% that our new QB coach will be from outside the organisation.

By the way I just had a sudden thought whilst I was typing this post out. What if LaFleur is copying McVay? McVay didn't have a QB coach this season but I suspect he took on some of those responsibilities himself and employed an assistant QB coach to help him. Didn't hurt Stafford from taking the Rams to the Superbowl.

Well....LaFleur is a former QB coach so theoretically he could take on those responsibilities and he also promoted Connor Lewis as assistant. A similar pattern seems to be forming.

Maybe he has already completed his coaching staff?

I would like to see LaFleur bring in a veteran coach to handle QB's and someone to lean on.  Jim Caldwell or Darrell Bevell type.

12 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Erroneous. His dead cap hit wouldn't transfer to the other team and he was dominant in his return from the injury. A team with a ton of cap space and an open championship window would be interested.

$15M for a pass rusher coming off a back injury that limited to him *check notes*  18 snaps for the entire year?  Teams aren't giving up anything for him.  They'll wait for the Packers to release him and they'll sign him for less then that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Dominant? He barely played. 

He's due 14.5 salary and very real questions if he will hold up or be as good. He won't be traded.

Paul Bretl -  Some salary cap moves & projected savings from Over the Cap:

Rodgers Trade: $19.8M in savings
Rodgers Extension: $21.09M
Clark Restructure: $9.54M
Bak Restructure: $8.18M
Jones’ Restructure: $2.87M
P. Smith Extension: $8.7M
Jaire Extension: $9.8M

3 hours ago, VonKarman said:

We are 50M over the cap and Adams cap hit would be 20.1M. Oh, and we would have to sign it. You also need a trade partner who is willing to pay 25-27M per year and considerable draft capital. Not gonna happen in my opinion.

Ball & Gute probably have a couple game plans already mapped out.  There have been rumors for months that the Packers would franchise tag Adams if they have to.   Maybe it's a bluff, but there are ways to get under the cap.  I doubt they are comfortable losing Adams for a 3rd round comp pick in 2023.  

• Like 1