Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

29 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

They were both reportedly offered at least similar if not better money to stay. 

Adams was pissed about the tag and decided he was not coming back to Green Bay no matter what. It's been widely reported. MVS was offered an 1 year deal vs. a 3 year deal. Trying to pin that on Jordan Love is bull****. 

Maybe if Adams played at full speed for Love's one start he may have had a chance. He was out there like he didn't give a ****. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Adams was pissed about the tag and decided he was not coming back to Green Bay no matter what. It's been widely reported. MVS was offered an 1 year deal vs. a 3 year deal. Trying to pin that on Jordan Love is bull****. 

Maybe if Adams played at full speed for Love's one start he may have had a chance. He was out there like he didn't give a ****. 

I don’t think the tag had anything to do with it. Supposedly, he was upset going back to last summer. Personally, I think it’s all just fluff to protect him from being criticized for wanting out (to play for the Raiders and his buddy Carr).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Turner wanted to go back to Den and GB probably doesn't have a starting RT spot available... once Jenkins returns.
 The cap savings are minimal so I really don't think this was a money move as much as its a depth chart move.

Maybe GB will sign a Dennis Kelly/Ricky Wagner type after the draft to hold down the fort in August-October

Where did you hear he wanted to go back to Denver? Dude is from Minneapolis, went to North Dakota State, and had by far his most professional success in Green Bay.

19 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

I don’t think the tag had anything to do with it. Supposedly, he was upset going back to last summer. Personally, I think it’s all just fluff to protect him from being criticized for wanting out (to play for the Raiders and his buddy Carr).

why would he be criticized for that ?

wanting to play for your home town team with your buddy at QB is a much more admirable reason for wanting to leave than getting moody about the franchise tag

always thought it weird guys with more money than they can ever spend chase the absolute max offer they can possibly get instead of choosing the team they genuinly want to play for. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

always thought it weird guys with more money than they can ever spend chase the absolute max offer they can possibly get instead of choosing the team they genuinly want to play for. 

Fans counting athletes' money is pretty weird too. They should absolutely maximize their worth while the window is open and take care of their families for years to come.  And in Adams' case, he got to do both getting paid big time and by his childhood team no less.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Adams was pissed when the Packers did not extend him last year.  Think after that he was intent on leaving.   He did dog it when Love was playing.  MVS obviously got some big bucks.  In any case Love doesn't factor into the equation at all.  Both guys went for the money and got it.  Despite reports doubt the Packers offered Adams more. 

5 hours ago, craig said:

Thus my question whether it was some blend of money (at the time); health; and perhaps scouting?  Perhaps they actually think Nijman and Newman might be just as good, or maybe better, than Turner at RT and RG, at his age and his present health?  I've been a pretty supportive Turner guy, so that seems kinda unlikely, but I'm no scout and who knows how Gute sees things, given the medicals and stuff?  Turner got "only" a 1-year "up-to-$5M" deal, that's like our Reed deal; so it wouldn't seem the league's GM/Medical-staff evaluation was super buzzed for Billy.  

Probably.  They probably thought that Yosh could potentially handle RT until Jenkins got back, or they feel he's the RT of the future for Green Bay.  I like Turner, but he's like a seatbelt.  He's there for safety, but not for comfort.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Fans counting athletes' money is pretty weird too. They should absolutely maximize their worth while the window is open and take care of their families for years to come.  And in Adams' case, he got to do both getting paid big time and by his childhood team no less.

No way man, if you could only need to work for 3-5  more years, you should be happy with $10M total and turn down $20M total during that time.   Everyone else would do that

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

I imagine there's always been a portion of fan's consideration that incorporated "how overpaid" they were - that probably goes way back - but - I think it's become more ingrained in today's fans with the advent of social media - on which player salaries, cap situations etc get such in depth play - and secondary theaters such as fantasy football and video games which can incorporate salaries into roster construction of your imaginary team. Everybody feels the GM in them empowered.

4 hours ago, R T said:

You are so wrong here.

The drafting of Love is why Putin decided to invade Ukraine. He is the reason climate change is happening. If only Gutes hadn't draft Love gas prices would be under 2 dollars a gallon nationwide. #FireGutes, #EvilGutes, #Wearealldoomed     

Weird, just weird.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

why would he be criticized for that ?

wanting to play for your home town team with your buddy at QB is a much more admirable reason for wanting to leave than getting moody about the franchise tag

I wouldn’t criticize him, but I’m sure his team wanted him made out to be the good guy.