Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Apparently the Texans want a 2nd rounder for Brandin Cooks, would you do it?????

Initially?  If they want a second, then they gotta eat a lot of that cap hit for this year.  If they can get his cap hit down to the $6M range for this year, then sure.

After typing the message....naw.  You gotta pay Cooks now and later.  He's 29, with concussions.  I'd rather draft two or three and see what is left on the FA scrap heap post draft that can be had for cheap.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

So no response. What is garbage about that? OT and EDGE matter a whole of a lot more than WR. We have a need there too. If there are equal WRs and EDGE available they will and should take the EDGE. 

Its not rocket science. You are advocating for reaching for a need. That is a bad way to build a team. But have at it. 

You consistently get into arguments on this board and when backed in a corner, respond as above. Nothing about that comparison is garbage, in fact it is your position - as articulated by you.

So maybe it is a little garbage then.

Yeah but you were being facetious with that fullback comment.

Right now at tackle we immediately have an elite starter and a serviceable one. By midseason we'll have two elite starters when Jenkins returns and a solid backup in Yosh. You could argue we're better here this season than last season.

At edge we have one elite starter and one really good one. We need a third one but we can get by with our backups and a mid-round pick. If we fail to draft one, Mercilus is waiting in free agency for a call. We're exactly the same as we were last season.

At WR we have two role players and two spots that aren't even filled. The position is a shell of what it was last year.

You could certainly argue that T and Edge are more important than WR in a vacuum. I would agree with you. But I think that the relative need there is so much higher than the others that we need to ensure it is addressed multiple times in the first 4 rounds.  Fortunately it's such a deep draft at the position that there are quality players expected to be available through the end of 4 rounds who can fill all the different sub-positions we have at receiver.

7 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Right now at tackle we immediately have an elite starter and a serviceable one. By midseason we'll have two elite starters when Jenkins returns and a solid backup in Yosh. You could argue we're better here this season than last season.

At edge we have one elite starter and one really good one. We need a third one but we can get by with our backups and a mid-round pick. If we fail to draft one, Mercilus is waiting in free agency for a call. We're exactly the same as we were last season.

At WR we have two role players and two spots that aren't even filled. The position is a shell of what it was last year.

You could certainly argue that T and Edge are more important than WR in a vacuum. I would agree with you. But I think that the relative need there is so much higher than the others that we need to ensure it is addressed multiple times in the first 4 rounds.  Fortunately it's such a deep draft at the position that there are quality players expected to be available through the end of 4 rounds who can fill all the different sub-positions we have at receiver.

An elite pass rusher plays about 70% of snaps if fully healthy. That means you need another 70% of snaps to get up to the 2.1 Edge guys you play per snap. 

12 minutes ago, Sandy said:

This is a fan playing checkers well Gutes is playing chess. Gutes isn't using a shopping list to make draft picks. 

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

An elite pass rusher plays about 70% of snaps if fully healthy. That means you need another 70% of snaps to get up to the 2.1 Edge guys you play per snap. 

I'm not arguing against this actually, and Karlaftis is actually my preferred guy at 22 of all the players we can reasonably expect to be there.  But if he's gone and there no big value at the position anywhere in the draft beyond special teams/depth (I think Rd 2 has some excellent impact players too, but they might not slip to 53), I'm cool with us re-signing Mercilus and rolling with the same three as last season.

18 minutes ago, R T said:

This is a fan playing checkers well Gutes is playing chess. Gutes isn't using a shopping list to make draft picks. 

Couldn't disagree with this more. He absolutely has a shopping list for the draft. He's trying to make a complete roster and currently he does not, so suggesting he doesn't have an idea for what he wants to fill the roster insults his intelligence and roster building skills.

He won't reach for poor value at any point, but he will use his many picks to manipulate the draft to get what he needs - and anything he doesn't get he'll sign from the free agency scrap heap.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:58 PM, squire12 said:

Just looking for your sources that would support the statements as being established facts.  Since you made the statement it would be nice to offer some sources in support

Fine

Re-word it to 'established opinion from medical experts' then. Sources being listening to pretty much anyone who knows what they are talking about discussing injuries and age. 

I'm assuming you agreed with the basic point and just in a mood to annoy someone.

29 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Fine

Re-word it to 'established opinion from medical experts' then. Sources being listening to pretty much anyone who knows what they are talking about discussing injuries and age. 

Do injury rates increase across the lifespan of NFL players (20 - late 30s)?

Comparing / extrapolating based on injuries across the human lifespan as I think you might be suggesting is my question.

If you don't have a source, then I will call you out on your statement being " established fact".

I'm assuming you agreed with the basic point and just in a mood to annoy someone.

You're assuming something.  If you are annoyed, that is a you problem.

Edited by squire12

18 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Apparently the Texans want a 2nd rounder for Brandin Cooks, would you do it?????

Nope! Rookie WR's can contribute and cost less financially. It's no longer the case where rookie WR shouldn't be counted on for much. I'd dare say we could get a rookie WR (in round 2) who puts up 65 catches, 800 yards and 8 TDs. 

I also fully expect we add a veteran after June 1. 

Edited by Old Guy

On 4/4/2022 at 7:54 PM, packfanfb said:

In the "history of the organization" have they ever been this weak at a single position before entering the draft? You could argue that the Packers don't have a single starting position available on defense right now (open spots are No. 3 EDGE, No. 3 Saf, No. 4 CB, No. 4 DL). You could argue the same on offense depending how the Packers view Nijman and Newman. At WR, even if the Packers are head over heels in love with Lazard, which I question, you have at least 1 starting WR spot open, maybe 2. 

The Packers typically don't go into the draft with big time roster holes. Unless something changes in the next 3 weeks, you'll be doing exactly that at WR so I think you can throw any "history" regarding drafting WRs completely out the window.

No.  But the Packers have always historically used their FRP on premium pick with the lone exception being AJ Hawk.  It's been almost exclusively QB, OT, EDGE, DT, or CB with their FRPs.  If you want to include Savage as a non-premium position, I wouldn't fight you.