Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Regarding Janis - this is a type of player that you want on your team.  He could carve out a nice ST career like Bush once did.  Jeff did get a couple of All Pro votes this year as a STer.  He is valuable as a gunner and can play WR in a pinch.  Jeff may want to test the market.  I would if I were him.  Unless some team offers him the moon - and I doubt anyone will - he'll end up back here after all is said and done.

• Like 1

This is where I just can't stand MM as an OC.  He rarely uses 4 wide sets and instead wastes snaps with less athletic TE's manning the slot.  Just a few times a game, why not throw 87 in the slot for Kendricks and put Janis or Davis outside to occupy a deep safety?

Now, I'm not as down on the offense as I used to be - mostly because we had receivers running open and Hundley was unable to find them - but the point remains - the offense could be more explosive with the players on the roster.  Neither Janis nor Davis is a quality NFL receiver.  But I do think other teams could get more out of their athletic ability.

35 minutes ago, Cheech said:

This is where I just can't stand MM as an OC.  He rarely uses 4 wide sets and instead wastes snaps with less athletic TE's manning the slot.  Just a few times a game, why not throw 87 in the slot for Kendricks and put Janis or Davis outside to occupy a deep safety?

Now, I'm not as down on the offense as I used to be - mostly because we had receivers running open and Hundley was unable to find them - but the point remains - the offense could be more explosive with the players on the roster.  Neither Janis nor Davis is a quality NFL receiver.  But I do think other teams could get more out of their athletic ability.

Perhaps if we had an athletic TE he'd use more 4 wide sets?  Didn't we do this with Finley and Cook?  

49 minutes ago, Cheech said:

It’s all about match ups.  If MM thinks our TE matches up better against a LB, he’ll play a TE.  If he thought our 5th WR matches up better against a CB or S, he’d play the WR.  Playing the TE also sets up the possibility of a run.  Janis and/or Davis only play on 5 WR sets unless someone is injured.

1 hour ago, Cheech said:

I think our offense was just fine - when healthy. 2014 - we were the #1 offense.

Forget 2015 - that was a WR wasteland. Consequently, RR had his best season as a GBP from TE.

Forget 2016 - that was a TE wasteland and when AR went down after 4+1? Adios overall passing game. So all those open WRs during the Hundley Era may have been aided by less nickle/dime packages being thrown up against our more conservative O. Surely not a comprehensive reason - but I think it a factor. I mean - if you've got a QB challenged to get a clean pass 10yds downfield.....in any case, its over and not a body worth picking over anymore.

But, when we've got able bodied guys manning all the positions, we do just fine IMO. 

2018 - Age? Jordy? TE? Who? AR? Thank God.

11 hours ago, Stevein2012 said:

He either forgot about Bakhtiari or is a moron so not sure what that opinion is worth

I've just come to the realization that Bakh might be one of the most under-appreciated players in the NFL.  Very much like Chad Clifton in that aspect.

7 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Just a guy. But he is a guy who has taken the time to go through each game, again and again, so he can grade every single player - think about that for a while, every. single. player. Can you even begin to imagine the commitment to do that in a season that was so frustrating, most of us would struggle to watch a game even once. I followed him week by week and found his comments and film clips fascinating, a weekly piece that I really looked forward to every Friday. So no, he isn't Dom Capers secret illegitimate son, but he is good.

I think Speight was getting was more the natural human bias that goes into these "grades", because at the end of the day they're subjective.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I've just come to the realization that Bakh might be one of the most under-appreciated players in the NFL.  Very much like Chad Clifton in that aspect.

Yeah... the guy who is 2nd team all-pro?

I mean... the people paying attention all know how good Bakh is.  Everyone IN the NFL and closely following the NFL, or anyone on this board (not just the packer fans).  But the general football fan at a bar has no clue for sure.

42 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Yeah... the guy who is 2nd team all-pro?

I mean... the people paying attention all know how good Bakh is.  Everyone IN the NFL and closely following the NFL, or anyone on this board (not just the packer fans).  But the general football fan at a bar has no clue for sure.

That's what he's saying though. Those average fans all know a few top tackles usually but wouldn't include him.

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

The Patriots will sign Janis. We just need to accept this 

And he'll have 4 pro bowl seasons and everybody will say they never wanted us to let him go even though literally 90% of the people here hate him and think we should let him go. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pugger said:

Regarding Janis - this is a type of player that you want on your team.  He could carve out a nice ST career like Bush once did.  Jeff did get a couple of All Pro votes this year as a STer.  He is valuable as a gunner and can play WR in a pinch.  Jeff may want to test the market.  I would if I were him.  Unless some team offers him the moon - and I doubt anyone will - he'll end up back here after all is said and done.

Bush did play some DB as well as ST.  Janis, I didn't see him until the season was over at WR.  Is it worth holding a spot for him, that someone else could have, that might be of more value to the team?

Just now, jleisher said:

Bush did play some DB as well as ST.  Janis, I didn't see him until the season was over at WR.  Is it worth holding a spot for him, that someone else could have, that might be of more value to the team?

Yes.  You have 53 roster spots.  40 of them are active on gameday.  Janis has been healthy all his career and just had 2 all-pro votes for his special teams play.  He's worth a roster spot.  You aren't getting 53 players better than Janis that provide more value to this team. 

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think Speight was getting was more the natural human bias that goes into these "grades", because at the end of the day they're subjective.

If you don't know the playbook in nitpicking detail how could they be anything but sunjective........ but AH did say that if he didn't think he could assign credit/blame fairly clearly, he gave      no + or - 

I understand that grades could vary depending on who graded them, but no-one else here is bothering to review every play by every player, he is. Therefore, his opinion carries a lot more weight than Speight's, or mine for that matter.