Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Like @Sandysaid OBJ would make some sense for us but he's going to be asking for alot of money and I don't think we will be able to accomodate him.

Nah it really doesn’t. He tore his ACL during the SB and is likely to miss several weeks of the season. 

37 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Your original statement was that they won't add a veteran because of Lazard.  Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in that Lazard has nothing to do with that. Lazard has been on the roster all offseason and at no point had any jeopardy for his roster spot. He is and has been a part of the solution.

The reason we won't add a veteran is because we drafted three youngsters. If we didn't draft at least two receivers then you could expect a veteran to fill out the room. They don't have a "veteran cap" of three.

Keep following the road and you'll get there.

Why do fans want another WR? Because they don't have faith in Lazard. They packers dont sign Watkins if they dont think he can play. Cobb wont be cut because hes the teachers pet. Then like you said 3 draftees, 1 amari and a couple leftovers. 

The disconnect with fans wanting another WR and the my interpretation of the staffs position is Lazard. 

Youre saying they same damn thing as me in way more words. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Keep following the road and you'll get there.

Why do fans want another WR? Because they don't have faith in Lazard. They packers dont sign Watkins if they dont think he can play. Cobb wont be cut because hes the teachers pet. Then like you said 3 draftees, 1 amari and a couple leftovers. 

The disconnect with fans wanting another WR and the my interpretation of the staffs position is Lazard. 

Youre saying they same damn thing as me in way more words. 

It's funny because you're being really condescending when you're the one who doesn't understand the context of the argument.

What I'm saying is...fans and the front office BOTH understand that Lazard is making this roster. If you can show me one poster who thinks Lazard will be cut then I'll concede the point. I haven't seen that yet.

You said the reason we won't sign a veteran WR is because of Lazard. But Lazard was the constant. I'm saying the reason we won't do it is because of the results of the draft filling up the guaranteed roster spots.

It's not a difficult concept. What you said is pretty much the equivalent to "we won't sign an edge because we have Gary". 

Edited by Sandy

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not sure we are done in the WR room.  ...  But ...there is really only room for one veteran FA WR.  Be it Watkins, Fuller, Jones....etc.  (There can be only ONE!---..)

I just feel like those higher contracts that may have been wanted by these other receivers simply won't be there and maybe any offer from us looks attractive.

But we shall see.  I'm good going in with what we have, but still I'll bet we kick some tires on veterans minimum deals, right?

I think we're done.  They signed Watkins, I don't think they're going to kick him off, assuming he's not crazy-head in camp. 

But the logic of adding a second guy as competition for Watkins; as camp-injury-cover; or as camp-competition for Amari..... it's not implausible, ***IF*** somebody they liked more than Watkins is now willing to take a cheap-o contract now but wasn't earlier.  

But I expect they're just going to roll with Watkins, given that they already signed him, and he has a coach who's advocated for him.  He's been near or over 400 yards for years, so it's not like he's  had Malik- and Janis-level productivity.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I didn't think Gute was done with the WR no matter how the draft went. Guarantee me Cobb and Watkins can make it thru the season and I'll change my mind. 

I think Gute will have his eye on June 1 cuts/possible trades .. maybe he can steal someone before training camp.  It seems like they need one dependable veteran option added to this roster.  I'm not so sure Julio, O'Dell, and Fuller are guys I would call dependable.

4 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

#3 safety--- these guys could be washed i have no idea... but feel like this is an area i'd like to see a vet body added 
tashaun gipson
jaquiski tartt

#3/4 edge --- along with safety, the only spot on paper that looks like we need another good body there 
jadeveon clowney
carlos dunlap
justin houston 
melvin ingram
jason pierre-paul
jerry hughes

slot corners and king ---- i think they're all set with jaire and keisean on the inside, but maybe another guy
mackensie alexander
kevin king
bryce callahan
chris harris
kyle fuller
joe haden

pass catchers --- think probably on a TE makes sense to add. wide out room is full but that makes taking a flyer on a guy like fuller or odell a little more intriguing if they're down for a near minimum deal... jarvis/julio probably outta the mix, would've just signed them over watkins but still kinda keeping an eye on it
jared cook
kyle rudolph
eric ebron
odell beckham 
will fuller
jarvis landry
julio jones

Good post!

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

It's funny because you're being really condescending when you're the one who doesn't understand the context of the argument.

What I'm saying is...fans and the front office BOTH understand that Lazard is making this roster. If you can show me one poster who thinks Lazard will be cut then I'll concede the point. I haven't seen that yet.

You said the reason we won't sign a veteran WR is because of Lazard. But Lazard was the constant. I'm saying the reason we won't do it is because of the results of the draft filling up the guaranteed roster spots.

It's not a difficult concept. What you said is pretty much the equivalent to "we won't sign an edge because we have Gary". 

Nope. What im saying is like we have healthy Z, Preston, Gary and just signed mercilus (with garvin and holdovers).  Now say the general consensus was that Preston wasnt as good as the general public wants him to be so theyre clamoring for ANOTHER edge. So then I'd say, "Preston isnt going anywhere, they wont sign another guy". Thats what it would be like in that analogy. 

So we can move on now and stop wasting peoples brain space.

Hope you can read through the typos.

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   All true:

-Cap is a limited resource to acquire talent
-Cap Space < Talent
-Packers projected with insufficient cap to operate in season
-Packers already exercised most cap saving options, limited “banana stand moves” remain
-Packers don’t need to ditch more veterans for cap

///

Sure hope Jaire decides to stick around and sign an extension...or if he's got "highest salary" dreams and/or an alternative destination in mind.

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

-Cap Space < Talent
-Packers already exercised most cap saving options, limited “banana stand moves” remain

///

Sure hope Jaire decides to stick around and sign an extension...or if he's got "highest salary" dreams and/or an alternative destination in mind.

I think we tag and trade Jaire this offseason 

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

-Cap Space < Talent

///

What does any of that have to do with Jaire?