Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

@Normjust....

Make It Rain Money GIF

At this point with the money I've spent on all the rest of this **** I have, there's no reason to go cheap anymore. I literally trip on stuff on the way to take a piss anymore it feels like. 

On 6/4/2022 at 3:46 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

Age could still be a thing. This was a non-typical year where the Packers may have decided not to worry about age so much, due to how many players were a year older due to the covid holdback.

NIL money gonna make the young ones think a second before making that leap.

15 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

NIL money gonna make the young ones think a second before making that leap.

True. Boosters gonna be showing up with big donations to keep a junior around for one more year. 

It will make the draft even more fun. More proven players at the top. 

• Like 1

Peter Bukowski -  Before Matt LaFleur’s arrival in Green Bay, the Packers won more than 11 games ONCE since 2011 and not won 13 games in that time. Since LaFleur arrived, they’ve won 13 games. The idea we can’t know if LaFleur is making the team better because of Rodgers is plainly wrong.

From 2015-2018, Aaron Rodgers was 11th in EPA/play and 23rd in CPOE. Since LaFleur arrived, he’s 2nd in EPA/play, 3rd in CPOE. He’s now won as many MVPs in three season under LaFleur as 11 (starting) seasons under Mike McCarthy. Don’t tell me we can’t separate Coach and QB.

Clearly Rodgers deserves a ton of credit for his improved play. He’s discussed changing his body, tweaking some mechanics based on old film study. He also deserves credit for buying what Matt LaFleur wanted to be. But that’s part of the point: it’s obvious LaFleur is helping.

• Like 3

Paul Bretl -   Rookie WRs typically haven’t had big production under Rodgers. Will that change this year? I don’t know. But what I do know is the circumstances are different this year given the makeup of the WR room, so the results may be different as well.

• Like 2

Interesting, Rodgers in his presser commented on the extension, saying he knows how it hasbeen portrayed but he sees it as a one year deal, with plus two years, and then  a potential for another one. Stating there will be decisions after this year!!!

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

Interesting, Rodgers in his presser commented on the extension, saying he knows how it hasbeen portrayed but he sees it as a one year deal, with plus two years, and then  a potential for another one. Stating there will be decisions after this year!!!

I heard that. I’m curious what would happen if he retired after one year, two years or three years.

Im sure they planned for a possible retirement when they made the contract and everything works out. 

He also said he’d retire a packer now. That’s cool. 

There is also the matter of Love waiting around. If Love is really good you’d hate to lose him for one year of Rodgers. That’s why I don’t think they have a high opinion of love. They’d rather rent a old player one year at a time than go with the young guy. Tells me they don’t think much of the young guy. 

1 hour ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

I heard that. I’m curious what would happen if he retired after one year, two years or three years.

Im sure they planned for a possible retirement when they made the contract and everything works out. 

He also said he’d retire a packer now. That’s cool. 

There is also the matter of Love waiting around. If Love is really good you’d hate to lose him for one year of Rodgers. That’s why I don’t think they have a high opinion of love. They’d rather rent a old player one year at a time than go with the young guy. Tells me they don’t think much of the young guy. 

That "old rental player" is the BACK TO BACK MVP OF THE ENTIRE ******* LEAGUE. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Yes, I wish I damm reported would ask about the dead cap hit once he retires on his contract!!! It is the most obvious question with regards to his contract!!! 

Also what was interesting was that when speaking about Adams leaving, Rodgers said his discussion with Adams the subject of how long Rodgers planned to play on came up. I'm thinking that Rodgers made it clear he probably only playing one more year and if Adams signed with the Packers that he wouldn't be the QB for the majority of Adams deal length.

5 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Yes, I wish I damm reported would ask about the dead cap hit once he retires on his contract!!! It is the most obvious question with regards to his contract!!! 

Also what was interesting was that when speaking about Adams leaving, Rodgers said his discussion with Adams the subject of how long Rodgers planned to play on came up. I'm thinking that Rodgers made it clear he probably only playing one more year and if Adams signed with the Packers that he wouldn't be the QB for the majority of Adams deal length.

IF Rodgers was only willing to commit to one more year, why would he have poison-pilled his contract?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

IF Rodgers was only willing to commit to one more year, why would he have poison-pilled his contract?

I think he wants, and has always wanted, to be able to bring negotiations on his terms and his timeline. Basically forced everyone to the table last summer and again this offseason. The poison pill is so everyone has to come back again next year.

He did say he’s having clear and direct communication with the whole management group and that relationship is as strong as it has ever been. Hopefully both sides are acting in good faith and can close the book gracefully when the time comes. The business side is understood by everyone but Aaron and the Packers owe it to each other to try to exit in a way that keeps the legacy intact.  Oh yeah, and hopefully with another trophy or two. 

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

The dead money changes if he retires, I think Andrew Brandt and a couple other guys talked about it and had exact numbers. It wasn't a huge pill to swallow if I remember correctly.

8 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

The dead money changes if he retires, I think Andrew Brandt and a couple other guys talked about it and had exact numbers. It wasn't a huge pill to swallow if I remember correctly.

If I'm reading it right there is a $99m charge according to Over the Cap if he retires after this year.
https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

Rodgers did say the way the contract is being reported is incorrect. I also believe Russ wouldn't have a contract set up in a way that punished the Packers that bad is Rodgers did retire after one year.

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

If I'm reading it right there is a $99m charge according to Over the Cap if he retires after this year.
https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

You're not, that's the hit if he's cut before June 1st of next year. Retirement is different and isn't listed on OTC. There are sections of the contract that address what would happen should he retire after this season.

Worst case I can imagine is the $31m dead cap hit that is equivalent to the penalty for a post-june 1st cut. 

I'm in the camp that believes he's playing two more seasons though so I imagine this will be moot.

• Like 1