Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

If I'm reading it right there is a $99m charge according to Over the Cap if he retires after this year.
https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

Rodgers did say the way the contract is being reported is incorrect. I also believe Russ wouldn't have a contract set up in a way that punished the Packers that bad is Rodgers did retire after one year.

Besides what Sandy said, if you look down in the page they say it's an estimation as they don't have solid info about the contract.

Aaron Nagler - 

Q -  "Is there anything before training camp you can do to accelerate your chemistry with those rookie guys?"

AR - "I think a lot of times those are just story fillers for slow times in the offseason."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

I heard that. I’m curious what would happen if he retired after one year, two years or three years.

Im sure they planned for a possible retirement when they made the contract and everything works out. 

He also said he’d retire a packer now. That’s cool. 

There is also the matter of Love waiting around. If Love is really good you’d hate to lose him for one year of Rodgers. That’s why I don’t think they have a high opinion of love. They’d rather rent a old player one year at a time than go with the young guy. Tells me they don’t think much of the young guy. 

Not saying your point of view is wrong.

But mine is different.  What the club is doing with Rodgers tells me that they think very highly of Rodgers and want him to remain a Packer for as long as he wants.  It is so very rare for a player like Rodgers to finish his career with the same team that drafted him.  And GB has set it up now for that to happen.

Guess I feel like both our QB and our backup are on year to year plans right now.  Which means, there is the very real chance that when the music stops playing, GB will have no QB to sit in the chair.

• Like 2

Zach Kruse -  Aaron Rodgers made clear his idea of the top 3 at WR right now: "Excited about Sammy. Made some plays today. He looks the part. We'll get Allen back, and Randall. We've got three solid right there. And there's a lot of competition behind those guys."

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruse -  Aaron Rodgers made clear his idea of the top 3 at WR right now: "Excited about Sammy. Made some plays today. He looks the part. We'll get Allen back, and Randall. We've got three solid right there. And there's a lot of competition behind those guys."

Been saying this since before the draft, Watkins, Lazard and Cobb is who Rodgers will trust and who he will throw most of the balls to. The rookies are not the saviors of the WR room.   

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Aaron Nagler - 

Q -  "Is there anything before training camp you can do to accelerate your chemistry with those rookie guys?"

AR - "I think a lot of times those are just story fillers for slow times in the offseason."

Just to clarify (maybe not necessary), it wasn't Nagler who asked the question. I think the question was by Ryan Wood. Nagler tweeted the exchange because he loved Rodgers' answer. Nagler regularly mocks people who try to put a lot of importance on what happens at OTA's and minicamp.  

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Aaron Nagler - 

Man, that's not quite "**** dem kids." but it's close. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Rodgers is old and cranky.  He isn't telling the kids to get off of his lawn, he's telling them that in order to play on his lawn, they need to weed it, seed it, fertilize it and cut it regularly.

Which we all knew.

Some of that will change when we need to run a deep play action and Watson flies by a corner.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not quite that imho. He basically said the rookies need to learn the offense on paper first before they can do things on the field that will matter. He said there will be plenty of time in training camp for that. 

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If Rodgers is going to heavily rely on Watkins, Cobb and Lazard he'd going to be looking at some seriously reduced passing numbers this year.

I doubt it. He'll just be spreading the ball around more, including to the rookies. Last year 50% of the passes targeted to a WR went to Adams. And the percent of plays where Rodgers WANTED to go to Adams was likely much higher than that. The offense will be much less predictable this year, which could be to Rodgers' advantage.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

I doubt it. He'll just be spreading the ball around more, including to the rookies. Last year 50% of the passes targeted to a WR went to Adams. And the percent of plays where Rodgers WANTED to go to Adams was likely much higher than that. The offense will be much less predictable this year, which could be to Rodgers' advantage.   

what do you feel the % chances that Watkins and Cobb play 60% of the offensive snaps in 2022?

The injury bug with each of them is noteworthy.

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

what do you feel the % chances that Watkins and Cobb play 60% of the offensive snaps in 2022?

No need to put that bad juju out there.  This will be a season of great health. The only question is which coach will need to sacrifice what tendon to appease the football gods.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, squire12 said:

It depends on what the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns is.