Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

30 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Preston getting older but he has a great track record of availability. Of course, that could mean he’s overdue for the OLD to start kicking in but I understand that move. JA is a no brainer at his age so hope we get the cap to a reasonable spot and figure out just what the hell this team will look like over the next few months. 

Kinda surprised they restructured Preston Smith, but figured there was a pretty good chance he was back in 2024 anyways.

On 2/23/2023 at 4:54 AM, Refugee said:

If we roll with Love, I understand this line of thinking but I’d hope w e keep our line strong and maybe give him a decent TE as a safety outlet. This will help him develop but also if he were to catch fire, continuity of a good line and a developed TE will really help in the near future. Hope we get some clarity on who’s under center very soon. 

Absolutely.

Not saying we tank. Just be responsible. Agree 100% you have to give Love a chance. But we can't be doing the whole max restructure everyone and spend the money on more vets to turn a 4-13 into a 6-11.

If we roll with Love, we should be building up for the future. You need to 'keep him safe' re OL and ensure he has weapons but we can't be making win-now moves. Unfortunately as much as I love him as a player retaining AJ was a win-now move  team going for a title.

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

Absolutely.

Not saying we tank. Just be responsible. Agree 100% you have to give Love a chance. But we can't be doing the whole max restructure everyone and spend the money on more vets to turn a 4-13 into a 6-11.

If we roll with Love, we should be building up for the future. You need to 'keep him safe' re OL and ensure he has weapons but we can't be making win-now moves. Unfortunately as much as I love him as a player retaining AJ was a win-now move  team going for a title.

If they had just pushed money out I'd agree with you but this was also a straight reduction not just moving money around to future years with Jones. Best thing they can do for Love year one is give him a solid OL and a running game he can lean on.

Per JSO

In addition, the Packers were working on reducing nose tackle Kenny Clark’s cap number of $23.9 million with either a restructure or extension, and left tackle David Bakhtiari’s $28.79 million cap number with a restructure, a source said.

By the time they are done reworking the five salaries, it’s possible executive vice president of finance Russ Ball will have cut the Packers’ salary cap by $50 million, giving general manager Brian Gutekunst somewhere around $30 million of cap space going into the start of free agency.

That number would remain the same if quarterback Aaron Rodgers returns and would drop to about $20 million if he were traded.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Per JSO

At this point, the Packers are cap compliant so they don't need to make any moves right now.  OTC has them at $6.4M under the cap while Spotrac has us at $5.9M under the cap.  The next domino to fall is Aaron Rodgers.

On 2/24/2023 at 7:05 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

Yeah, but Rodgers was more middle-of-the-pack last season, very similar to 2018 and 19. That isn't losing a HoF QB in the middle of his prime, it's losing an OK QB who's probably only going to decline from here on out; that isn't an insurmountable loss. 

I think he was slightly better than middle of the pack.  I'd say he was 8-11 for QB's.  We are used to much better from him, so it just looked worse, by comparison. 

And I think he can be better than last year...much better.  But, he has to train those legs and core hard.  The older he gets the harder he needs to work in the off-season.  I have zero issues with the arm, it's the legs.

But the point still stands, he's aged.  Not aging.  We can win with him, no doubt.  But I don't think he has the fire to win the big postseason games any more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think he was slightly better than middle of the pack.  I'd say he was 8-11 for QB's.  We are used to much better from him, so it just looked worse, by comparison. 

And I think he can be better than last year...much better.  But, he has to train those legs and core hard.  The older he gets the harder he needs to work in the off-season.  I have zero issues with the arm, it's the legs.

But the point still stands, he's aged.  Not aging.  We can win with him, no doubt.  But I don't think he has the fire to win the big postseason games any more.

This makes 2021 all that more frustrating. It was all aligned, and we couldn't get it done. I wish we had a full house for that game. I saw it on NFL Network not to long ago and it was crazy to see Lambeau that empty. 

• Like 1