Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Rudy is legit a starter, surprised we got him back so cheap. Excellent move!

I like it too .. he showed some solid instincts at safeties at times last year.

I like the Moore addition because he's a super athlete with some special teams chops.  We shall see what he shows at safety.  Hopefully he can contribute there as well. 

Trading Rodgers Ushers In Great Reset

"Sensing the quarterback he drafted in 2020, Jordan Love, was ready, Gutekunst opted to unplug the treadmill, start paying off the credit cards and hit the reset button.

It was time. As the No. 1 seed and with Aaron Rodgers winning MVP honors in 2020, the Packers couldn’t get to the Super Bowl. As the No. 1 seed and with Rodgers winning MVP honors again in 2021, the Packers couldn’t win a playoff game. With an enormous investment on the defensive side of the ball in 2022, the Packers failed to even make the playoffs"

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/trading-rodgers-ushers-in-great-reset

5 hours ago, Leader said:

"Sensing the quarterback he drafted in 2020, Jordan Love, was ready, Gutekunst opted to unplug the treadmill, start paying off the credit cards and hit the reset button.

It was time. As the No. 1 seed and with Aaron Rodgers winning MVP honors in 2020, the Packers couldn’t get to the Super Bowl. As the No. 1 seed and with Rodgers winning MVP honors again in 2021, the Packers couldn’t win a playoff game. With an enormous investment on the defensive side of the ball in 2022, the Packers failed to even make the playoffs"

Paying off the credit card ?

Pretty much every signing has been on voids. All vet contracts have been max re-structured. Every day the cap kicker grows. Its fair to say any new deals will be as buy now , pay tomorrow as is fiscally possible.

Hopefully the Rodgers trade if there is one signals  the end to this. But we have been loading up the credit card not paying it off.  

37 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Paying off the credit card ?

Pretty much every signing has been on voids. All vet contracts have been max re-structured. Every day the cap kicker grows. Its fair to say any new deals will be as buy now , pay tomorrow as is fiscally possible.

Hopefully the Rodgers trade if there is one signals  the end to this. But we have been loading up the credit card not paying it off. 

I think thats the general thrust of the article - that they're spending / contract decisions will be changing. It will take a few years to clean the books up and get back to the way it was previously handled. Nixon's contract comes with 3 or 4 void years - but the $$ is very low.

I had a look over our roster and i've come away feeling we're lacking depth everywhere and with very little cap space to do something about it.

At safety its full of interesting prospects, Savage, Moore, Ford. Gaines, Wiggins but not alot of proven experience. If we keep it as it is then this group will be either boom or bust. It's missing the steadiness and experience of Amos so perhaps we may still bring him back.

The starting DL of Clark, Wyatt and Slaton seems good to me but very little depth. Its not usually a position which needs more than 5 players on the roster so adding depth should be easily done in the draft.

Outside linebacker im 50/50 on. Gary and Smith is a tidy duo and the depth of Garvin and Engabare is ok. There's still room for reinforcements but easier said than done when we got other more pressing needs on our roster.

The defence as a whole if we started the season tomorrow would be ok. Offence on the other hand is a different story.

At wide reciever we have Watson and Doubs but nothing beyond that. Hopefully Toure will add depth but that's it. That's not a good position to be in. Very little experience too.

It even worse at Tight End. Literally there isn't anybody. Deguara is a fullback, Davis is a ST only guy, we have two on a futures contract who I believe will not amount to anything. One of them is already 27 years old and the other guy has very little pass catching history. This position needs urgent resolving.

At tackle we have a number of players that we should feel comfortable with but Guard is a problem. You got Runyan on one side and Jenkins on another but beyond that there's nothing. Newman is a JAG, Rhyan is still an unknown and has 2 more games of his suspension to serve. if Tom starts at right tackle then we're looking very thin at guard.

Those offensive weaknesses strongly suggests to me that the draft will be heavily focused around the offence in a bid to surround, protect and help Love succeed. This will be a major priority for Gute.

Looking at our current draft capital:

First round
Second round
Third round
Fourth round
Fifth round
Fifth round
Seventh round
Seventh round
Seventh round
Seventh round

Lets say 1st round is a WR, Second round is a OL, 3rd round is an TE. After that point it would not surprise me if we draft a QB to back up Love. Gute will probably double dip at TE. That's 5 picks devoted to the offence. It's going to be difficult to find defensive contributors at this stage of the draft.

Trading Rodgers for additional draft picks will certainly give us much needed breathing space to help refill the Packers depth and also give Gute room to manoeuvre around the draft but the trade needs to happen before the draft. This is the true deadline for us. All this talk about waiting until training camp is never going to happen.

Edited by Chili

6 hours ago, Leader said:

I really didn't need to be reminded of two consecutive #1 seeds resulting in a total of 1 playoff win. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, R T said:

I normally like to watch a little of McAfee, but yesterday he was in complete ******* idiot mode with his Gute hate. 

McAfee will carry the torch for Rodgers to stay in the good graces.  Helps to keep Rodgers coming on his podcast/ show which is good for McAfee ratings.  

• Like 1

@NotionsOfJacob

I’ll never forgive Pat McAfee and Jets fans for making me defend Gutekunst.

Brian Gutekunst: 53-28-1 record as GM, 7 All-Pros drafted/signed, 2 NFCCG appearances. 20+ years as an NFL scout.

To imply that Gutekunst isn’t a “smart person” is wild, and borderline disrespectful.

Borderline?

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

McAfee will carry the torch for Rodgers to stay in the good graces.  Helps to keep Rodgers coming on his podcast/ show which is good for McAfee ratings.  

I get that, but it doesn't change that he was an idiot yesterday. 

39 minutes ago, R T said:

I normally like to watch a little of McAfee, but yesterday he was in complete ******* idiot mode with his Gute hate. 

Are we sure Gutes smart? Derp.

Pat’s not a GM. He just knows a TON of his success is owed to Rodgers. And he knows that will only be amplified with Rodgers in the big market. Slightly relieved we don’t have to be a part of that media circus.