Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We got 65 starts and a pro-bowl out of Ha Ha.  I don't know if I would call that any kind of bust.  Is he HoF bound? No.  But he doesn't even sniff bust, IMO.

Not just the pro bowl, Ha-Ha was named 2nd team all-pro in his 3rd season as a Packer.  Putting any kind of bust label on him is absurd.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Interesting. Previous first round picks, ignoring Wyatt and Walker:

2021 Stokes: Average

2020 Love: incomplete

2019 Gary: Home run

2019 Savage: Mid-Bust

2018 Alexander: Home run

2017: None. Traded out. Kevin King taken at 33, bust

2016 Clark: Home run

2015 Randall: Bust

2014: Clinton Dix: Mid-bust

I guess with 9 picks, 3 home runs ain't that bad.

1. HaHa's not anywhere remotely close to a bust.
2. Hard to call Savage a bust either. He's about to be a 5 year starter. He's had his ups and downs but he's far from a bust or whatever a "mid-bust" is.

Damarious Randall is the only flat out bust of the entire 1st round group.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, R T said:

Re-build: to strip to the foundation and build again. 

The Packers are not in a re-build, the core of this team is still in place. They are not stripping this thing to the foundation. A retool, a reload that is what is happening in GB. The Packers will struggle for the first half of the season, which is what happens with a retooling, but they will be good in short order. 

I do not agree.

When you lose Rodgers, you are re-building.  He was the foundation.

But I do get where you are coming from.  GB has a lot of young talent on the team.  They can step up and step up quickly in Rodgers' absence. 

You re-tool when James Jones leaves, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Matthews, Woodson....etc.  But the foundation has been Rodgers for a very long time.

Fortunately, we may have the next foundational piece on the roster and ready to go.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

2. Hard to call Savage a bust either. He's about to be a 5 year starter. He's had his ups and downs but he's far from a bust or whatever a "mid-bust" is.

I guess people need to define 'bust' here first, but I wouldn't call Randall a bust either. The guy was a starter the 3 season he was in GB, had 10 INT's and 2 pick sixes. The pick six against the Cowboys flat-out won that game for them. He made several game winning type of plays, the first one that always comes to mind with him is the breakup of the Phillip Rivers pass on 4th down against the Chargers to end the game in his rookie season. 

Now the guy certainly had a ten-cent head and had to go, but he made more plays on the field than the Packers fanbase typically likes to give him credit for. 

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I do not agree.

When you lose Rodgers, you are re-building.  He was the foundation.

But I do get where you are coming from.  GB has a lot of young talent on the team.  They can step up and step up quickly in Rodgers' absence. 

You re-tool when James Jones leaves, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Matthews, Woodson....etc.  But the foundation has been Rodgers for a very long time.

Fortunately, we may have the next foundational piece on the roster and ready to go.

That is the land that drama queens want to live in. 

1 minute ago, R T said:

I guess people need to define 'bust' here first, but I wouldn't call Randall a bust either. The guy was a starter the 3 season he was in GB, had 10 INT's and 2 pick sixes. The pick six against the Cowboys flat-out won that game for them. He made several game winning type of plays, the first one that always comes to mind with him is the breakup of the Phillip Rivers pass on 4th down against the Chargers to end the game in his rookie season. 

Now the guy certainly had a ten-cent head and had to go, but he made more plays on the field than the Packers fanbase typically likes to give him credit for. 

I think, for him, it was massive consistency issues or just being, as you called him, a 10 cent head. I guess he comes off more as a bust than a Savage because he was traded for the most worthless QB we've arguably ever had. 

For where we've picked the last 9 drafts, we've done incredibly well. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Not just the pro bowl, Ha-Ha was named 2nd team all-pro in his 3rd season as a Packer.  Putting any kind of bust label on him is absurd.

Yeah, I'm definitely underrating HHCD, I completely forgot about his Pro Bowl years. Average might be a better term for a player who doesn't see a multi year contract extension with the team that drafts them.

4 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Yeah, I'm definitely underrating HHCD, I completely forgot about his Pro Bowl years. Average might be a better term for a player who doesn't see a multi year contract extension with the team that drafts them.

I wasn't defending the FO on that one, just sticking up for HHCD.  I really think his biggest sin was not being Nick Collins.  And that isn't his fault.  

• Like 1

Has there been any discussion about Bak's comments regarding the Packers and saying things like, "they will probably suck this year!" 

Sounds like a disgruntled guy who may be asking for a trade after the draft. 

Wait for it, but the day after Rodgers is officially traded, he's going to start talking about wanting a trade. 

Edited by Old Guy

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Derrick sherrod falls into that group for me too

3 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Well rounded take here.

Problem is everyone remembers HHCD for one very specific thing, same with another player that same game.. Also when you come out of that program in the 1st round like he did, you expect a corner stone on D for a decade, same thing might happen with peoples expectations of last years Georgia crop.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Sounds like a disgruntled guy who may be asking for a trade after the draft. 

Nah, he made it clear in the interview that he does not want to be traded. The whole convo with 'The Boys' very much felt like players vs. the establishment, whether that is teams, the NFL or NFLPA.